The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
RCA 77DX Output Cable
Old 6 days ago
Gear Maniac

RCA 77DX Output Cable

Hey all! I just got a beautiful vintage RCA 77DX. It's in pretty great condition except for the cable. The external tubing is cracked somewhat substantially, especially in one place, and I can see the braided stuff inside. The mic still works perfectly, but I seem to be getting some kind of ground noise when I pick it up by the transformer cup (which for some reason disappears when I then also touch the bottom of the yolk where the stand thread is).
I'm wondering if I might be able to rewire it with a new output cable myself. I would have no idea how to approach it though, and don't want to accidentally damage the mic by mistake.
Also, I don't know what kind of cable to use. I have some Mogami Neglex 2534 Quad Cable.
Is this something I can do, or would I be better off just taking it to ENAK?

Cheers,
Dan
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Easy replacement. Find a mic cable the same diameter of the old one.
The old cable is soldered inside the mic (mine was).
Done

Denny

P.S. I made a mic cable with a small diameter mogami cable and climbing robe. Take the filler strands out of the center of the rope and pull the mogami
in the remaining jacket of the rope. Now it looks like an old style cable.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search