The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Forgetting to put the jack cover on the cable before soldering up the plug. Studio Monitors
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Forgetting to put the jack cover on the cable before soldering up the plug.

I am 56. Been making cables since I was a wee lad. Today like many days before I needed to redo an end, this time replacing an xlr end of a xlr to xlr cable to trs 1/4" on two cables. I made the first one perfectly and set it aside to do the second one. I was admiring my wonderful soldering job when I noticed, crap, the sleeve / cover was sitting on the bench with a big smile on it's face as if to say, "did it again dude". After all these years, you still will do this at least once in a batch of cables.

Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Don.t blame it on age. I get this aswell. Happens because it's a automated task.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pief View Post
Don.t blame it on age. I get this aswell. Happens because it's a automated task.
I'm not blaming it on age. I'm making the assertion that by this time you would think I would have this automated procedure down and relatively mistake free.

But no.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

As long as they are only XLR and 1/4" and not a PL259:

You should try them.... From my experience I can tell you, after 10 finished jacks without cover you will have learned to put the cover on the cable as the first step....
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Lessons learned

Once, while I was terminating a weatherproof assembly (outside) over an open conduit, I failed to consider that the components might slide down the 6' whip and disappear into the abyss, which is precisely what happened. Once, and only once! Now, the first thing I do is create an 8" loop and secure it with a cable tie. It was a good lesson This is one of the ways we learn.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Yup, never fails to happen once in a while.. especially when the job seems to go soo smoothly and quickly on a TRS 1/8" mini plug.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

"Experience is learning from your mistakes...."
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

One of my least favorite things in the world is soldering TT's. But the sleeves on Switchcraft TT's, God bless 'em, slide on from the front.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitman View Post
I am 56. Been making cables since I was a wee lad. Today like many days before I needed to redo an end, this time replacing an xlr end of a xlr to xlr cable to trs 1/4" on two cables. I made the first one perfectly and set it aside to do the second one. I was admiring my wonderful soldering job when I noticed, crap, the sleeve / cover was sitting on the bench with a big smile on it's face as if to say, "did it again dude". After all these years, you still will do this at least once in a batch of cables.

don't worry, wait until you really get old...

JR
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

In the spirit of "can you top this", even with a couple of decades on you, I am still doing that.
But 3-pin XLR is trivial until you have spent all morning wiring up an 81-pin TV camera cable and then seeing the shell sitting on the bench.

Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I blame it on the solder fumes... but man, I hate when it happens.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Yep, happens to me a couple of times a year. For the last 50 years.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Its all in developing a routine. If you made cables all day long you'd begin by placing the covers on the cords first then moving to soldering.
As is you only make them occasionally and focus on the work instead of the complete process.

It has little to do with age either, its more about thinking the job through before you do the work visualizing each step. If you just go at it your work gets ahead of the task list and you screw up. I suppose you could blame it on mental laziness more then anything else. It can happen to anyone too. I been a tech for over 40 years and even with all the years I spend swinging a soldering iron I still screw up every so often. Cause is always the same too, I didn't spend time prepping and thinking things through and simply went at it. You know the actual work is stupid simple so you use no brain power at all and skip the simplest rule #1 which is to plan your work before you begin the work and get nailed every time.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Been there. Done that. Got the T-Shirt.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Once, every time I solder cables. Usually the first one.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Ah, that old chestnut. Yes it seems to happen if you only make cables when you need them.

I wrote a list of steps to stop this happening. It starts with:

1. PUT THE BOOT ON THE CABLE
Old 5 days ago
Gear Nut

I've had my ham ticket for over 25 years.... I've made that mistake (more than) a few times. I just cut the connector off and start over when that happens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by analogguru View Post
As long as they are only XLR and 1/4" and not a PL259:

You should try them.... From my experience I can tell you, after 10 finished jacks without cover you will have learned to put the cover on the cable as the first step....
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Crowley View Post
In the spirit of "can you top this", even with a couple of decades on you, I am still doing that.
But 3-pin XLR is trivial until you have spent all morning wiring up an 81-pin TV camera cable and then seeing the shell sitting on the bench.

We have a winner.
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
You're not the only one to make that mistake!
I wasn't there, but my brother was.
Old 1 day ago
Gear Maniac
I do this myself at least one out of ten times
Don't see it changing anytime soon
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitman View Post
I'm not blaming it on age. I'm making the assertion that by this time you would think I would have this automated procedure down and relatively mistake free.

But no.
Nope. Soldered my first XLR in about 1977. Missed the required bits off the cable while making up some interconnects last week.

In my defense, I had the England-Croatia match on at the same time. At least I have a defense, unlike.......
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

Quote:

So you made a new 2-part shell, right.......?
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by norfolk martin View Post
So you made a new 2-part shell, right.......?
...Well, I guess it WOULD take fewer "man-hours" to employ a Dremel Tool and some JB Weld (while cursing under your breath).
I DO know from experience that when building a new XLR cable (if you still have the other end to do), its quicker to feed the other end of a 100-foot cable through the missing part.

...Of course the new designs are set up so you can put all the parts on after soldering (which just makes you forget when using the old style).
Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search