The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Replacement Cartridge / Element for an Altec 633A
Old 27th March 2018
Gear Nut

Replacement Cartridge / Element for an Altec 633A

Hello,
I found a non-working Altec 633a that was going to be thrown away by a friend. It was from a church.
I opened it up...that was an ordeal in and of itself.
Anyway, the element / cartridge is clearly shot. I removed it and tried to revive it, no such luck. It isn't in good shape to begin with.
With that in mind, where /should I get a comparable replacement element / capsule/ cartridge, suggestions on reviving this old mic?
Thanks.

And, contrary to info elsewhere, the top of the mic does screw off ,as well as the bottom. It was difficult on both ends.

Last edited by OHM GHOST; 27th March 2018 at 09:58 PM..
Old 2nd April 2018
Gear Nut

I have 2 of these now. There was an extra one that I decided to buy, and do 2 restorations at once.
One of the tops does screw off, the other does not...this can create confusion for future restorations.
I did a full replacement on both cartridges, both had non working diaphragms.
I replaced the cartridges/elements with a KAM RT1 Dynamic Mic Capsule, they work great.
I have a question, how good are those old Altec moving coil cartridges, (I kept the elements), they look well made...?
Old 2nd April 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHM GHOST View Post
... how good are those old Altec moving coil cartridges, (I kept the elements), they look well made...?
The originals only go up to 13K and there's nothing very hi-fi about them, but they have a certain "character." Good to know about the KAM capsule, thanks, as I've got a dead and dismantled saltshaker lying around here somewhere.
Old 2nd April 2018
Lives for gear

The original spec sheets say 10K but the graphs don't show the actual roll off slopes so it may be a bit higher.

Western Electric 633A
Old 17th December 2018
Lives for gear

the top end roll off is the reason it's a good snare and harp mic...the top top end of the snare usually comes from the bottom wires

i just got the cardioid adapter..been waiting 5 years to find one... the fin cut out plates were off set so i had to take the whole damn thing apart but it looks great now
Old 17th December 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigma View Post
i just got the cardioid adapter..been waiting 5 years to find one...
Someone should do a short run of those directional adapters, plenty of people would want one.
Old 17th December 2018
Lives for gear

Agree..there are enough saltshakers around..funny..I got the western electric ring for my altec..2 plates not one..the clips to hold the unit to the mic are hidden under a cap and have leather glued in to not chaff the mic..the 2 ring plates are joined with a decoupler tarpaper type material..the later altec one is one ring and just a simplebody mount.
Look up both on coutant
Old 17th December 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigma View Post
Agree..there are enough saltshakers around..funny..I got the western electric ring for my altec..2 plates not one..the clips to hold the unit to the mic are hidden under a cap and have leather glued in to not chaff the mic..the 2 ring plates are joined with a decoupler tarpaper type material..the later altec one is one ring and just a simplebody mount.
Look up both on coutant
Yeah, I noticed the mount for the 630A looks like basically the same double ring with different attachment points, and it hadn't registered there were single and double plate versions.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search