The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Amek Angela - LED meter problem
Old 21st February 2018
Amek Angela - LED meter problem

Hi,
The LED meters on my Amek Angela have this problem that it takes about a minute for the LEDs to shout down after the music has finished,you can see it in this video:

What could causing this problem?
Old 22nd February 2018
Lives for gear

Looks like DC offset, but the schematic is needed to be sure. It could be that the meterbridge is lacking ground. You could have DC offsets in the DAW. Could be a lot of things. You need a tech.
Old 4th May 2019
Attached schematic for the LED meter.
Does the 10K pot on the "power distribution board" controls the decay time?
Old 4th May 2019
I've marked in the the actual voltages I've measured on the 'Power Distribution Board'

What should be the voltage on the O/L REF point (pin 4 after the trimmer)?
I can set the voltage to anything between +1.5V to +16.3V.
Old 5th May 2019
I found the problem!
*ALL* the 4 pin molex connectors that feeding the signal to the meter card was plugged in a wrong way with pin 1 connected to pin 4, pin 2 connected to pin 3, pin 3 connected to pin 2 and pin 14 connected to pin 1.
According to the bands of the weirs it seems like it was connected this way for very long time...
As you can see here, now all meters working well!

Thank you everybody for your help!
Old 5th May 2019
Lives for gear

apparently a competent design to not release smoke after mistaken assembly.. stuff happens.

JR
Old 5th May 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRoberts View Post
apparently a competent design to not release smoke after mistaken assembly.. stuff happens.

JR

Thanks again, I wouldn't find this mistake without your answer.
Old 7th May 2019
Gear Addict

Nice troubleshooting work! Good to see there's no permanent damage (my philosophy is that connectors should be keyed so that they can only be connected the correct way -- but if this is impossible, then their pin assignments should be such that a backwards connection will do no damage... because "stuff" does indeed happen).
Old 10th August 2020
Lives for gear
interesting - i seem to be having a similar problem in mine - though they are taking a second or two to turn off in succession - like there's persistence to the LEDs ... i swapped the driver chip for a known good one between modules but the problem stayed on the same channel - hmmm
๐Ÿ“ Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
๐Ÿ–จ๏ธ Show Printable Version
โœ‰๏ธ Email this Page
๐Ÿ” Search thread
๐ŸŽ™๏ธ View mentioned gear