The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Wiring 3 conductor cable for xlr patch/switch box, grounding question.
Old 14th February 2018
Here for the gear

Wiring 3 conductor cable for xlr patch/switch box, grounding question.

Hello...

Making a patch/switch box.
In short, the box will have 16 inputs (8 standard XLR and 8 combo XLR for TRS 1/4 plugs), 8 outputs and 8 toggle switches.
A pair of inputs will go to a single 4 pole switch (pins 2 and 3) so i can control which input signal goes out.

Following the advice of this thread, would the following be correct for wiring it up with respect to grounding.

On the xlr female inputs, wire pin1 to a conductor and then on the send side (where something plugs into the jack) also connect the shielding to pin1. On the xlr out (which will plug into the zoom recorder with a male xlr plug) only connect pin1 to conductor and do not connect the wires shielding to the male xlr plug ? The female connectors and switchs will be housed in a metal box, should i tie the G pin of all the XLR connectors to the box ?

Thanks for any help...
Old 17th February 2018
Lives for gear

Sounds like you are proposing to use 2 pole switches, not 4 pole.

Personally I would use 3 pole switches and switch pin 1 along with 2 and 3 to better guard against RF and ground noise. If you were patching things manually, you'd be breaking pin 1 on the unused mics in the same way, so why not do it that way with your switches. It might be ok you way, it partly depends on cable lengths and the mics and preamps involved (external power supplies?). But it wouldn't cost much more to do 3 pole switches and be a bit safer and it might actually be easier to wire that way.

Last edited by David Kulka; 17th February 2018 at 12:46 PM..
Old 18th February 2018
Here for the gear

Thanks for the advice.
Check this thread just before i was gonna wire everything up (glad i did) and did as you suggested (had 4 pole switches). Aside from two cold solider joints, everything worked as intended. Time will tell once i really start to use the box, but as of now, the switches work, all xlrs work along with the 1/4 jacks.

Again, thanks for the input.

[EDIT]
As for the wiring. All internal wiring i when pin to pin, number to number, color to color and for the final cable coming off the switch i connected the cables shield to pin 1 and at the other end of the cable where the male xlr plug connected, i chopped the shielding and did not connect it to the male plug of any wiring in the male plug.

_

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search