The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
My RED type A mic is shorting the power supply
Old 12th February 2018
Here for the gear

My RED type A mic is shorting the power supply

I just went to fire up my RED Audio Type A tube mic and when I plug the 7 pin cable into the mic body the light on the power supply goes out as if it is shorting and there is no signal. I checked the cable and the pins and wires are okay. I don't know if the small cap in the cable could be bad and cause this. Could a bad tube be the culprit? I can't find a schematic and I'm reluctant to open it it
Old 12th February 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVillageIdiot View Post
I just went to fire up my RED Audio Type A tube mic and when I plug the 7 pin cable into the mic body the light on the power supply goes out as if it is shorting and there is no signal. I checked the cable and the pins and wires are okay. I don't know if the small cap in the cable could be bad and cause this. Could a bad tube be the culprit? I can't find a schematic and I'm reluctant to open it it
are you Plugging in your TUBE mic with the POwer Supply already Powered Up ???
Old 12th February 2018
Here for the gear

Powered & Non Powered up

It does not work either way. As soon as I plug the mic end of the cable into the mic body it shunts the power supply. There is a small ceramic capacitor inside the connector at that end that I might replace first before opening the mic body up. I wondered if a bad tube could cause this as well? it is a dual-triode tube. The output circuit is transformerless; it uses 3 transistors (presumably one phase-splitter and two bipolars) to produce balanced output. I hate to send it across the country to have it fixed if it's a simple fix.
Old 12th February 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
It does not work either way. As soon as I plug the mic end of the cable into the mic body it shunts the power supply. There is a small ceramic capacitor inside the connector at that end that I might replace first before opening the mic body up. I wondered if a bad tube could cause this as well? it is a dual-triode tube. The output circuit is transformerless; it uses 3 transistors (presumably one phase-splitter and two bipolars) to produce balanced output. I hate to send it across the country to have it fixed if it's a simple fix.
ok, understood, i was just mentioning that it is not the best thing to plug in a TUBE mic wehn the power supply is already powered up ..

wondering if this caused the issue in the first place is my first thought ..
Old 14th October 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Hello Village Idiot
Wondering if you were able to fix your issue?

I own RED MIC TYPE A and my power supply just went out completely. I can't find schematic. Obviously since its a slow start one of those capacitors maybe bad but i don't know where to look
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search