The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
A good Optical Compressor 500 Series 500 Series Dynamics
Old 13th January 2018
Here for the gear

A good Optical Compressor 500 Series

Hi there! Am searching for an optical compressor (discrete) for the lunchbox that doesn't take away the openness of my mics. I've got the API 527 Compressor, which is great, but it does take away the openness of my mics too, when working. I could get a "Justin Morris 19-09 Opto Comp" over here in Hamburg, but from what I have read it creates lots of harmonic distortion. Is there an optical compressor that just tames the dynamics but leaves everything else the way it is? Or shall I get something else instead of the 500 Series Format?

Maybe someone here has a hint. ...

Thanks!
Michael

______________________________________________________________________________________

Thanks for the hints! I actually tested a "Justin Morris 19-09 Opto Comp" and really like it. It does what I wanted. It compresses, but doesn't steal the energy and preserves the oppenness of my mics.

P.S.: Sad to hear about optical-compressors - or parts in it - being outlawed in the EU now. I hope there will be a change at least for music-gear soon. Hope my "Justin Morris 19-09 Opto Comp" will last. -

Michael

Last edited by TheHeman; 17th January 2018 at 09:29 AM.. Reason: Solved
Old 14th January 2018
Lives for gear

I like the JLM audio LA500 for that purpose.
Old 15th January 2018
Lives for gear

Note that you'll have to get a second hand unit - optical compressors are outlawed across the EU now.

Jakob E.
Old 19th January 2018
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by gyraf View Post
Note that you'll have to get a second hand unit - optical compressors are outlawed across the EU now.

Jakob E.
Why is that?
Old 20th January 2018
Lives for gear

Because you are no longer allowed to use a LDR resistor in any form, for any use.

Reason is the rohs directive on Cadmium that hit LDR's hard.

For years, there was an exemption for pro audio use, but for unknown reasons (really unknown!) this was revoked 2016.

Industry seems to try to ignore this problem away.

We had a long discussion about this somewhere around here, but I can't find it now?

Jakob E.
Old 20th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHeman View Post
Hi there! Am searching for an optical compressor (discrete) for the lunchbox that doesn't take away the openness of my mics. I've got the API 527 Compressor, which is great, but it does take away the openness of my mics too, when working. I could get a "Justin Morris 19-09 Opto Comp" over here in Hamburg, but from what I have read it creates lots of harmonic distortion. Is there an optical compressor that just tames the dynamics but leaves everything else the way it is? Or shall I get something else instead of the 500 Series Format?

Maybe someone here has a hint. ...

Thanks!
Michael

______________________________________________________________________________________

Thanks for the hints! I actually tested a "Justin Morris 19-09 Opto Comp" and really like it. It does what I wanted. It compresses, but doesn't steal the energy and preserves the oppenness of my mics.

P.S.: Sad to hear about optical-compressors - or parts in it - being outlawed in the EU now. I hope there will be a change at least for music-gear soon. Hope my "Justin Morris 19-09 Opto Comp" will last. -

Michael
The Buzz Audio Essence is incredible and pretty much nails your description of what you’re looking for.
Old 21st January 2018
Lives for gear

It's due to those outmost stupid RoHS restrictions.

BTW I wonder if wel'll face massive failures of electronic devices in a decade or two due to the use of lead-free solder. If so that would be way worse environmentally speaking.
Old 24th January 2018
Gear Head

Quote:
Because you are no longer allowed to use a LDR resistor in any form, for any use.

For years, there was an exemption for pro audio use, but for unknown reasons (really unknown!) this was revoked 2016.

We had a long discussion about this somewhere around here, but I can't find it now?

Jakob E.
Presumably this is EU claptrap - I wouldn't be surprised if the person involved in that had a hand in all this "gender neutral" nonsense!!!
Old 26th January 2018
Lives for gear

Interestingly for aerospace and defense RoHS don't apply? A least for cadmium anticorrosion treatment (like those greenish looking (olive drab-colored) very robust and reliable but expensive MIL connectors. You can still purchase them but you aren't allowed to sell devices with such non-RohHS parts.

There's an sheer endless list of stupid EU rules which yearly costs European industries billions of avoidable competitivity losses (Switzerland isn't part of the EU but we took over most EN standards).

Before worrying about a few light detectors EU bureaucrats should focus on more important things!
Old 26th January 2018
Gear Addict

RoHS was a huge pain for many years from a design and production standpoint . . . but from an overall perspective, I think it's kinda hard to find conceptual fault with it. Lead is the main issue, and we've known about it's ill health effects for hundreds of years . . . the vestiges of lead-containing products will continue to haunt us decades or even centuries after their abolition (i.e. leaded gasoline, lead-containing paint, lead plumbing). In retrospect, were any of these products really necessary for our quality of life?

The main problems I see with the RoHS directive are a lack of subtlety in some aspects of implementation . . . it seems to me that it wouldn't be difficult to include language that clearly excludes small-volume hand-made electronic equipment, and has enough concision to keep its strictness on high-volume limited-life "disposable" electronics. Yet with RoHS there's the "battery exemption" that allows the primary source of some of the nastiest chemicals to skirt right by the legislation, including those that I'd suspect contain as much cadmium as hundreds of photocells. There's clearly some hypocrisy going on in practice, or at least some legislators that could stand to be better educated.

Maybe the solution is simply to epoxy LDR networks into modules, and call them "secret visible-spectrum-modulated opamps" . . .
Old 27th March 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:

Jakob E.

Wow that´s unbelievable, so can we eventually have health issues if we have a hardware Optical compressor due to the Cadmium of the LDR?

Pd: The Gyratec X emulation from Antelope is great, I would love to try the hardware version someday too, congratulations.
Old 28th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roloalcien View Post
so can we eventually have health issues if we have a hardware Optical compressor due to the Cadmium?
No, the amounts are so small (and so well encapsulated) that it dosen't compute. In the 100ug range per optocoupler. It's a legal-technical problem about how to measure - my alu front panels contains (entirely legally) much more cadmium than my optocells. But any amount of Cd is theoretically bad for environment when it ends up as landfill.

Somewhere in the EU stakeholder consultations I read that we are talking about 5-10 grams of cadmium per year for the WHOLE pro-audio market. Compare to (still partially legal) power-tool batteries at several hundred grams per unit - that has a significant better chance of ending up as landfill..

See e.g. p. 23ff in this document: http://ec.europa.eu/environment/waste/weee/pdf/rohs.pdf

Jakob E.

Last edited by gyraf; 28th March 2018 at 03:42 PM.. Reason: link
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search