The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Emu 1820M Caps..? Audio Interfaces
Old 9th January 2018
Lives for gear

Emu 1820M Caps..?

Hello..Have a question. Anyone here able to do the replacing the caps in this unit. I know, I know it's an old unit but I like the sound and I have finally learned how to use it and now it craps out.!....Distortion and for some reason, will not send signal to the PC with Reaper from the rear Dock panel but will send signal into the two mic/line inputs on front.!..The tech that replaced them the last time has moved..I'll pay. Thanks...
Old 9th January 2018
If I were you I would just replace it, there is one on Reverb for $125. I don't know how long ago you had it recapped, but that's not something you do every couple years, more like every 10-20 years (maybe). The issue is likely more than some bad capacitors, and if it was only caps, your tech bill would probably be more than replacement anyway. Good luck.
Old 13th January 2018
Lives for gear

Hello..Thanks for your reply. Do audio actually pass thru those two caps that always goes bad on the 1820m.? Its probably been about 10 years since I had them replaced..
Old 24th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snatchman View Post
Hello..Thanks for your reply. Do audio actually pass thru those two caps that always goes bad on the 1820m.? Its probably been about 10 years since I had them replaced..
Hello.Bumping to see about the audio passing thru the two bad caps..
Old 30th January 2018
Check out this earlier thread with more info: E-MU 1820M Major Problems! and this site where some guy replaced those two caps that always go bad: Repairing my EMU 1820 at dreamport | nonoo.hu

A couple years ago I was looking into getting a dock to upgrade my 1212m to an 1820m but was scared of getting a bum dock so I looked into how easy it'd be to replace caps if need be, and at the time I found a youtube video of a guy replacing the bad caps and he made it look really easy, but I couldn't find a dock at a price I could justify so I went a different route. Tried finding the video for you but cannot, don't know why. At any rate, good luck! I still have my 1212m in my other computer which I still use from time to time, to mix down old projects. Still working fine, just wasn't enough inputs for me, and I was tired of running Windows XP.
Old 30th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by staticwhitesound View Post
Check out this earlier thread with more info: E-MU 1820M Major Problems! and this site where some guy replaced those two caps that always go bad: Repairing my EMU 1820 at dreamport | nonoo.hu

A couple years ago I was looking into getting a dock to upgrade my 1212m to an 1820m but was scared of getting a bum dock so I looked into how easy it'd be to replace caps if need be, and at the time I found a youtube video of a guy replacing the bad caps and he made it look really easy, but I couldn't find a dock at a price I could justify so I went a different route. Tried finding the video for you but cannot, don't know why. At any rate, good luck! I still have my 1212m in my other computer which I still use from time to time, to mix down old projects. Still working fine, just wasn't enough inputs for me, and I was tired of running Windows XP.
Hello.Thanks for your reply and links..!..If you want to move from the XP,move up to Win 7 64 bit....There are 64 bit drivers that works..! I did and it have worked great....Until now......I mean the drivers work fine, just the Emu that's ailling..!
Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search