The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Mackie Control Universal issues help thread
Old 19th October 2017
Here for the gear

Mackie Control Universal issues help thread

I just picked up a mackie control universal controller with one mackie control xt expansion controller. Each are having issues which I was hoping some of you had some experience with.

First off the Mackie Control Universal seems to be suffering from an issue which I am able to reliably recreate. When the faders are down below a certain decibel level and the unit is powered on, the units LCD flickers on/off and does not proceed to the boot/calibration. However, if you raise the faders above this decibel level, the machine calibrates normally and loads without issue. I have seen one mention of this issue online but wasn't able to determine if there was a fix for it.

On the Mackie control xt(black) there is a different issue altogether. Aside from the backlight issue, there seems to be a separate issue involving the faders. The first 4 faders seem to attempt to calibrate(I was able to successfully get all 4 at one point) but the last 4 faders don't move whatsoever. I was beginning to think I had 4 bad faders until I realized that there were some inconsistencies with the LED indicators that are located near the pwm v3.02 IC's. Only one of the two LEDs is lit during operation, while I have seen repair videos online showing both should be lit.

Also of note, the xt fails calibration on what it calls chan 6, 7, 8 and 9 and usually 3(working fader) which is odd as it is an 8 channel extender.

Firmware for both is v2.12 and it appears the xt ctrl IC was upgraded to 2.0 so it can run this firmware. I am suspecting that for the xt I need to replace the pwm v3.02 IC. Anyone have any advice for me on these two issues?

The photos attached show the led indicator issue as well was data transmission from the Ctrl 2.0 chip, and the last photo is a screenshot of a working unit with both pwm v3.02 IC's lit.
Attached Thumbnails
Mackie Control Universal issues help thread-img_1387.jpg   Mackie Control Universal issues help thread-img_1393.jpg   Mackie Control Universal issues help thread-img_1395.jpg   Mackie Control Universal issues help thread-img_1397.jpg  
Old 26th October 2017
Here for the gear

Update

I removed all the faders and tested faders 5-8 on channels 1-4. The faders do work and passed calibration. I've narrowed the issue to the board housing the chips I mentioned in the previous post or possibly the power pcb.
Old 27th October 2017
Here for the gear

Update

I swapped pwm v3.02 ic's and it appears my suspicions are right. The ic's led swapped along with the chip. I am trying to source this ic as we speak. I'll keep you posted.
Attached Thumbnails
Mackie Control Universal issues help thread-img_1412.jpg  
Old 27th October 2017
Lives for gear
I've always found Mackie to be responsive about replacement parts, once their tech gets that you're also a professional and know what you're talking about. Their prices seem reasonable, and they'll rush if you need it.

It's doubtful that they'll be able to send you just the IC, but if you're willing to replace that whole board...
Old 27th October 2017
Here for the gear

Thanks for the reply. I contacted mackie and they referred me to a 3rd party for advice/parts(haven’t heard back yet). I got around to playing with the mcu and all seems to work well aside from the startup glitch. I’m impressed. The XT is looking like a backlight and a pwm v3.02 chip is going to get it back in gear. I’ve wanted these things since they came out and I don’t have much invested at this point so i’m feeling a lot of satisfaction with the gamble I took. All praise the godz of eBay.
Old 2nd November 2017
Here for the gear

My hunch was correct. The pwm v3.02 chip was bad. I picked up some spare parts and and dropped a new chip in...works like a charm. All faders calibrate. Hope my discoveries help you guys in the future.

Sincerely,
Future you
Old 26th March 2018
Here for the gear

Helo Hottlungs,

I have same problem with my Mackie MC. One of the led lichts of the pwm v3.02 chip doesnt work. The problem is when i swapped the 2 (pwm v3.02 chips) stil the same one doesnt work.

I have firmware 1.0 with fader error on display mastewr fader dont move also fader 3 have same issues. SORRY about my English. I'm from Holland.

Please Help! Greatings, Karone
Old 27th February 2019
Here for the gear

In case anyone else is seeing similar issues, upgraded PWM V3.50 chips are now available which, as well as fixing this classic error (4 faders not working, one LED next to PWM chip not turning on) can upgrade existing PWM V1.00/PWM V3.02 chips.

The V3.50 PWM chip has been optimised to improve both fader responsiveness, and positional accuracy. Previous V1.00 and V3.02 PWM chips can cause faders to 'buzz' after moving to a set position, particularly noticeable as faders age, where the motorised faders never quite reach the correct position and the PWM driver keeps trying to move the fader with weak pulses creating a nuisance buzzing noise, shortening the life of the fader motor. By optimising the pulse width generation logic, these V3.50 PWM chips drive the faders with optimal pulse lengths when the faders get close to their intended position, ensuring they reach it quickly and accurately and minimising fader 'buzz', eliminating entirely on well maintained and cleaned faders.

I won't post direct links as I think that's against the rules, but a search of ebay should turn them up!

All the best,
Old 12th November 2019
Gear Nut
I've had the same issue with the Mackie logic control XT. I replace the pwm chips with version 3.5 chips. The faders do calibrate, but I am still getting a buzz on one of the faders. Also, I am getting a tremendous midi delay in communicating with either Cubase 7.5 or Pro Tools 11. Anybody got any ideas why I'm having such a terrible delay. Example: when I press the solo or mute button, it takes 18 seconds to execute the command.
Old 8th January 2020
Here for the gear

Delay in Midi comunication

Maybe bad cables ?
Old 8th January 2020
Here for the gear

Problems with fader at MCU

Hello friends!
I am a fan of this equipment (Mackie MCU),
I currently have 3 units and I am working to fix another one, which still missing parts. The biggest problem regarding the fader calibration error is due to the wear of the non-polarized capacitors next to the drivers, 100uf. By replacing them, the faders will usually work perfectly again. About the delay in sending midi data can be problem cable or midi software configuration; try changing parameters within your daw for the MIDI port.

Hugs, good record sessions for all

www.cristiano.art.br
Old 13th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cris_ProMusic View Post
Hello friends!
I am a fan of this equipment (Mackie MCU),
I currently have 3 units and I am working to fix another one, which still missing parts. The biggest problem regarding the fader calibration error is due to the wear of the non-polarized capacitors next to the drivers, 100uf. By replacing them, the faders will usually work perfectly again. About the delay in sending midi data can be problem cable or midi software configuration; try changing parameters within your daw for the MIDI port.

Hugs, good record sessions for all

www.cristiano.art.br
hey chris, did you swap the caps out them for the same ones?
i have a good working one, running 2.1.2, barely used, display like new, no calibration errors, the only thing is that the faders sometimes make (small) noises, even when not being automated.

sounds like if they want to allign themselves, but can't find the correct value, or something like this, as if they were a tiny bit confused

on another note: i've been through all the cheaper controllers now. x-touch, faderport, avid artist - this damn mackie is still the best 'feeling' one to me.

cheers!
Old 13th August 2020
Here for the gear

Maybe you have to change the PSU Caps.
Old 13th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Maybe you have to change the PSU Caps.
hey thanks for the reply.

what would that change? you mean it would make the current more stable or something like this?
is this a known problem?
Old 17th August 2020
Here for the gear

is a filter to motor driver's. So, maybe this mal function can generate sme noises or bad voltage supply for them...
Old 17th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
is a filter to motor driver's. So, maybe this mal function can generate sme noises or bad voltage supply for them...
so, somebody said they changed the caps inside the unit, the two above the faders, do you mean those? or really in the PSU, i attached pictures, hard for me to describe.
thank you very much!
Attached Thumbnails
Mackie Control Universal issues help thread-fader-caps.jpg   Mackie Control Universal issues help thread-fader-caps2.jpg   Mackie Control Universal issues help thread-psu-caps.jpg   Mackie Control Universal issues help thread-psu-caps-2.jpg  
Old 17th August 2020
Here for the gear

yes, is this blue and brown caps... are new ones?

if yes, maybe the problem are in the fader...
Old 17th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
yes, is this blue and brown caps... are new ones?

if yes, maybe the problem are in the fader...
no they are original and about 20+ years old - so they should be replaced. gonna do it and post back if it helped. thanks!
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear