The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
BEST ICs for building a synth ground up?
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

BEST ICs for building a synth ground up?

Please help,

I'd ove to see a graph of IC's with benefits in contrast with price and drawbacks...

So far I've been building 555 timer synths but I havene't been able to alter the square wave using only capacitors.... I don't know if it's my particular capacitorsl...... it;s driving me nuts tho...

Ideally I would like to buld a clean easy circuit that allows the user to switch from square to tri the to sine waves......

but that's with 555.....

I'm open to other, more expensive IC's to get better results... but im a n00b ... can anyone help me>?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Hi
There used to be a couple of oscillator chips that would do this, one had a number like 8035 or something. Look at Newark or similar electronics suppliers under 'special function' ICs or similar. The search phrase 'function generator' might pull up discrete circuits or IC based designs of use to you.
A 555 is not so good for generating symmetrical square waves but you can get triangle waves (not necessarily symmetrical) from across the timing capacitor using a high impedance buffer amplifier.
Matt S
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search