The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Has anyone ever gotten two Casiotones to sync tempo? Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 20th June 2017
Here for the gear

Has anyone ever gotten two Casiotones to sync tempo?

This has been my holy grail for a while, but I can't find any information on it. Could it be as simple as wiring together their clocks?

To go even farther out there - Casio SK-1: Overhaul, Part Two | Electronic Musing this guy who modded his SK-1 to add a gate input got me thinking about other possibilities. He chose to route the 5v gate to the SK-1's auto-play melody sequencer, which is very cool. But I wonder if a similar method could be used to sync say, an MT-400v's bass line patterns to a drum machine.

Or maybe I'm thinking about it all backwards - maybe it'd be easiest to get the Casio to be the master? Have it control the tempo of the drum machine? All these Casios have the LED that pulses with the tempo - I'd think that could be used as the basis for a gate pulse?

Just kind of brainstorming here. BTW, I'm specifically interested in the early 80s casiotones - MT-65/68, MT-45, MT-100, MT-400v ...
Old 20th June 2017
Lives for gear

That's what midi is for.

If they have midi connections, simply link the midi out from one to the midi in of another. Your first will provide the baster clock for the second and you can choose different beat combinations and voices. if they are two different keyboards it may be a bit whacky choosing the exact beats you want because there's no way of assigning specific beat banks to the second, but you can usually select the bests a couple of times, inputting the numbers and get the combinations you want. The voice blends can be pretty interesting too.
Old 20th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrgkmc View Post
That's what midi is for.

If they have midi connections, simply link the midi out from one to the midi in of another. Your first will provide the baster clock for the second and you can choose different beat combinations and voices. if they are two different keyboards it may be a bit whacky choosing the exact beats you want because there's no way of assigning specific beat banks to the second, but you can usually select the bests a couple of times, inputting the numbers and get the combinations you want. The voice blends can be pretty interesting too.
They don't
Old 20th June 2017
Lives for gear

The MT-65, etc. has a tempo clock oscillator. You can look at the output to see if it's 16th notes or whatever, and whether it's triggering the sequencer on the rising or falling edge. Based on that, you can make a clock input or output.

The keyboards where the tempo is controlled by increment/decrement buttons generally won't have an externally accessible tempo clock signal to sync to. In those cases, all you can do is wire the "one key play" button to an external trigger.
Attached Thumbnails
Has anyone ever gotten two Casiotones to sync tempo?-clock.jpg  
Old 20th June 2017
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by acreil View Post
The MT-65, etc. has a tempo clock oscillator. You can look at the output to see if it's 16th notes or whatever, and whether it's triggering the sequencer on the rising or falling edge. Based on that, you can make a clock input or output.

The keyboards where the tempo is controlled by increment/decrement buttons generally won't have an externally accessible tempo clock signal to sync to. In those cases, all you can do is wire the "one key play" button to an external trigger.
Thanks, that's exactly the kind of thing I was hoping for. Luckily for me, all my favorite casios have a rotary knob or continuous tempo slider, rather than tempo up/down buttons. I will be looking into this.

And to the other guy, yeah they don't have MIDI. Sadly, by the time Casio got into the MIDI game, they had already kind of dropped the quirky sound chips and analog drums that were present on these early Casiotones (I believe the ones I mention are 1982/3). They also stopped incorporating some really wacky features like the MT-65/68's waveform modulation buttons, or the MT-400v's analog envelope filter.
Old 21st June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneako85 View Post
And to the other guy, yeah they don't have MIDI. Sadly, by the time Casio got into the MIDI game, they had already kind of dropped the quirky sound chips and analog drums that were present on these early Casiotones (I believe the ones I mention are 1982/3). They also stopped incorporating some really wacky features like the MT-65/68's waveform modulation buttons, or the MT-400v's analog envelope filter.
The Casiotone 6000 and HT series are sort of related to the MT-65 and have MIDI. I don't know about the Casiotone 6000, but I think the HT models at least can sync to an external clock. The drums in the HT series are sampled (like the SK-5 and other stuff circa 1987), but the Casiotone 6000 has very unique, strange sounding drums.
Old 21st June 2017
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by acreil View Post
The Casiotone 6000 and HT series are sort of related to the MT-65 and have MIDI. I don't know about the Casiotone 6000, but I think the HT models at least can sync to an external clock. The drums in the HT series are sampled (like the SK-5 and other stuff circa 1987), but the Casiotone 6000 has very unique, strange sounding drums.
Cool! Always love learning about a "new" Casio. I've fooled around with some HTs and they are indeed pretty sweet. Never tried a 6000! Another cool one I'd love to get my hands on someday is the 1000P (if I remember correctly) - has a really cool arpeggiator.
Old 21st June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Cool! Always love learning about a "new" Casio. I've fooled around with some HTs and they are indeed pretty sweet. Never tried a 6000!
The Casiotone 6000 was the flagship "professional" model circa 1984. The tone generator part is similar to the MT-65, but there are 3 of them that are detuned, plus it's velocity sensitive and has a chorus circuit similar to the CZ-3000.

Quote:
Another cool one I'd love to get my hands on someday is the 1000P (if I remember correctly) - has a really cool arpeggiator.
The arpeggiator in the 1000P is neat, but I think the sounds aren't really very exciting. All the additive models (MT-70, Casiotone 501, 601, 602, 701 and 1000P) sound basically similar to what you can get with algorithm 32 in a DX7.
Old 2nd July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
This has been my holy grail for a while, but I can't find any information on it. Could it be as simple as wiring together their clocks?

To go even farther out there - Casio SK-1: Overhaul, Part Two | Electronic Musing this guy who modded his SK-1 to add a gate input got me thinking about other possibilities. He chose to route the 5v gate to the SK-1's auto-play melody sequencer, which is very cool. But I wonder if a similar method could be used to sync say, an MT-400v's bass line patterns to a drum machine.
well you would use midi as the go between. Decode the midi to get tempo clock and its start/stop frame from the drum machine. This will tell the processor in the synth that this is the beginning of a measure at the tempo the drum machine provides.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search