The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
electrical outlets
Old 12th February 2004
Lives for gear

electrical outlets

I saw a room today that I might rent as a combination office/edit bay for my location recording work. Its far from ideal, but it has some GREAT features going for it. It is in a large complex filled with a wide variety of production, post and related small businesses; sort of an audio production hotel.

One of the negatives with the room is that there are a grand total of two (2!) electrical outlets in there. They are quad outlets, for whatever good that adds.

My geek question: without paying an electrician to tear up the walls and see whats feeding those two outlets, how can I determine their capacity? How do I determine where I stand without any input from the owner of the building? I say that because the building is owned & managed by an anonymous real estate company that has a reputation for fixing anything that breaks, but they do not maintain any onsite staff other than the woman who leases the spaces as they become available. So there is no crusty old super down in the basement who remembers when the buidling was last rewired. Is there some magic tool that I can plug into the outlet and it then prints out a detailed analysis of the outlet and everything tied to it?
Old 12th February 2004
Super Moderator

The simple answer is...

Check the power distribution panel for your space and see what size the breaker (or fuse) the outlets have. See if it's one breaker for both outlets or two individual breakers.

A Quad box could mean there's more capacity then normal. Once you find the breaker, turn it off and check the outlet itself. Open it up and check the gauge wire in the box. You want to make sure the breaker is the correct size.
Old 13th February 2004
Lives for gear

Check the power distribution panel for your space and see what size the breaker (or fuse) the outlets have. See if it's one breaker for both outlets or two individual breakers.

A Quad box could mean there's more capacity then normal. Once you find the breaker, turn it off and check the outlet itself. Open it up and check the gauge wire in the box. You want to make sure the breaker is the correct size.

I should have mentioned that this is a very large, fairly old building and I would be very surprised if anyone on site could point to the room where my breakers are located. I was only half-joking when I asked whether there is some way to determine this information from the outlet itself.

I'm still waiting to hear from the landlord, so I'll end these questions until I learn whether or not I've got the space.

God, this is getting old......

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search