The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Soldering a wire cable plug to circuit board?
Old 21st April 2017
Lives for gear

Soldering a wire cable plug to circuit board?

My audio interface has a headphone plug soldered directly to the circuit board. Over time it has worn out, and there's an intermittent circuit when the plug is wiggled, and is unreliable. I will bring this wire out of the box to a TRS plug dongle. I am just looking for some simple beginner advice to solder a wire onto the circuit board in place of the plug itself, hoping to get the best contact possible.
Old 21st April 2017
Gear Addict

I would just replace the jack with another pcb mount jack. Digi-key or mouser should have something that will work for this....
Old 21st April 2017
Lives for gear

I am fairly sure that the problem is the connection of the mount to the pcb, not the mount itself, but I want to prevent this from happening again.

Maybe someone can refresh my memory, if the wire and the pcb trace don't make direct contact (only via solder) is that acceptable?
Old 21st April 2017
Gear Addict

if its mechanically sound.

IMHO the connector probably needs to be replaced because its probably cracked somewhere, but I've seen poor soldering at jacks before too, and in those cases, glueing the connector on the top side and soldering the bottom side properly fixes the issue.
Old 21st April 2017
Lives for gear

Good advice, thanks man.
Old 22nd April 2017
Lives for gear

Well there was no problems with the solder or pcb, so I went ahead and made a wire-out directly from it. Much happier now that I won't worry about forcing the plug.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search