The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
There's ghosts in my monitors Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 17th March 2007
There's ghosts in my monitors

Ever since I moved across country my NS10's (powered by a hafler 9505) have the MOST annoying thing going on. They pick up a bunch of odd noises. When I click on certain buttons in Pro Tools it makes weird noises. Now's the part where the ghosts come in. When I click on the scroll button it makes a high end screechy sound. When I click and drag in the track it makes a gyger counter (sp?) noise and when I click on solo... Absoloutely nothing. All of this while trying to mix a record

Anyways I'm guessing that the monitors somehow became unshielded and pick up every noise in the room, but different noises for different functions??? I defy any geek to explain this.

By the way, my haflers TRM8's are noise free as are my logitech speakers. Unfortunately I can't pull a half way decent mix out of either of those.

Peace, Paul
Old 17th March 2007
Lives for gear

I vote for HF oscillations.
Old 17th March 2007
Lives for gear

I think you're asking the wrong people.
If it is indeed a ghost then you should talk to a Priest.
Old 17th March 2007
Lives for Jesus

Who ya gonna call...............

maybe your monitor is close to your NS10s is it a crt ?

The noise must be getting in at the amp, or speaker wires, check your grounding ! i doubt that both speakers changed in the move,....

Old 17th March 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavebourn View Post
I vote for HF oscillations.
What's that?
Old 17th March 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevep View Post
Who ya gonna call...............

maybe your monitor is close to your NS10s is it a crt ?

The noise must be getting in at the amp, or speaker wires, check your grounding ! i doubt that both speakers changed in the move,....

Nah, it's a flat pannel.

Good point about both the speakers, I guess it's equally unlikey that both of my mogami/nuetrik cables became ungrounded in the move. So this narrows it down to the amp?

Thanks for the help everyone.
Old 17th March 2007
Lives for Jesus

The noise is getting in somewhere,.......... maybe try isolating the amp, moving it around.... check your grounding stike

Old 17th March 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul David View Post
What's that?
Ghosts that live in gear.
Old 17th March 2007
When I upgraded my Pro Tools LE rig from a G4 to a G5 a coupla years ago I had similar problems. Did some snooping, and it turns out that the G5's firewire buss has some noise issues. And there doesn't seem to really be any solution that I could find.

If you have an LE rig, this could be the culprit...although I don't know why it would have started upon moving cross-country.

Oh yeah, I should also note, the more FW peripherals (drives, printers, etc) I've got plugged in, the more noise I get.

A total drag. And it makes it highly difficult to adjust reverb settings. Thank goodness I don't mix too much at home...
Old 17th March 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavebourn View Post
Ghosts that live in gear.

I KNEW IT
Old 17th March 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgrotto View Post
When I upgraded my Pro Tools LE rig from a G4 to a G5 a coupla years ago I had similar problems. Did some snooping, and it turns out that the G5's firewire buss has some noise issues. And there doesn't seem to really be any solution that I could find.

If you have an LE rig, this could be the culprit...although I don't know why it would have started upon moving cross-country.

Oh yeah, I should also note, the more FW peripherals (drives, printers, etc) I've got plugged in, the more noise I get.

A total drag. And it makes it highly difficult to adjust reverb settings. Thank goodness I don't mix too much at home...

Hmmm, It's the same computer I've always used. I am using PTLE. FWIW my monitoring chain is.

001 s/pdif out
Lavry Blue D/A
Coleman M3PH
Hafler TRM8's on 'speaker 1' of the M3PH
Hafler 9505 to NS10's on 'speaker 2'

All wired with mogami/neutriks ballanced from start to finish.

I'm actually not sure how to check if everything's grounded. Any tips for trouble shooting would be greatly appreciated.
Old 20th March 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevep View Post
The noise is getting in somewhere,.......... maybe try isolating the amp, moving it around.... check your grounding stike

I moved the amp into a different rack and BAM, Silence... Now I can mix in peace.

Thanks for the help Steve.
Old 21st March 2007
Lives for Jesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul David View Post
I moved the amp into a different rack and BAM, Silence... Now I can mix in peace.

Thanks for the help Steve.
COOL , heh

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search