The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Tom Scholz Rockman DIY Repair
Old 29th December 2016
Here for the gear

Tom Scholz Rockman DIY Repair

Hello Gearslutz,

I am a long-time lurker and this is my first post so forgive me if I don't entirely adhere to conventions. I was posting to find out if anyone on here has any experience repairing Rockman products themselves. I am aware of the sites that offer these services, however I wanted to know if any owners are familiar with the problem I am having. I had dug my Rockman out of the attic from my mom's house and had been playing it for about a week or so and aside from some loose input jacks, everything was working fine. One night when I got off of work I plugged in and turned it on, and got a signal but it was a dry signal. It powers up but I can't get reverb, chorus, edge or distortion. So my question gs community is, What happened? Is this a problem that could be related to the capacitors needing to be changed, or did an IC die? Well I appreciate any help or advice you guys can offer.
Old 30th December 2016
Deleted 3cb98a6
Hi vehcks,

Your question really belongs in the "geekslutz" section. They love this stuff.
You will get your answers faster there. But i think you should try to give more details about your problems.

Goodluck
Old 31st December 2016
I used to rebuild those 30 odd years ago. It had a lot of 072 opamps and those Reticon bucket brigade chips. Opamps are easy to fix and source, those analog delay chips are not. Probably cheaper to buy another in a pawn shop.
Old 1st January 2017
Here for the gear

Thanks both of you. Pief, your advice is duly noted and Jim Williams it seems like that could be the issue, as it operates (or doesn't operate) similarly to a broken DOD chorus pedal that I have. The DOD uses similar bucket brigade delay chips. I guess I will move on over to Geekslutz.
Old 1st January 2017
Install a socket and swap the Reticon chip with another.
Old 3rd January 2017
Lives for gear

all the jacks and switches are soldered on the main board iirc and they get stressed over time. Best to reheat all those joints first as an easy repair.
Old 26th January 2017
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sysexguy View Post
all the jacks and switches are soldered on the main board iirc and they get stressed over time. Best to reheat all those joints first as an easy repair.
Hey, this was the perfect solution for the problem. The advice was much appreciated!! Still noisy but back in working order.
Old 8th September 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams View Post
Install a socket and swap the Reticon chip with another.
hi who is there in the world that I get get my Rockman XP100 pre amp Serviced,i have tried David Ferringer he cannot do it so any help or leads would be great thank you Stevie f
Old 8th September 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by vehcks View Post
Hey, this was the perfect solution for the problem. The advice was much appreciated!! Still noisy but back in working order.
They were always kind of noisy. I put a few of them in the oven back in the days but that never fixed issues with loose plugs producing a crackling sound. Fantastic units when they worked though.
Old 9th September 2019
Lives for gear

Never worked on one of the headphone amps, but I've cleaned up a couple of Sustainors. The circuitry design was good, but the execution less so. Look for loose jacks/switches, boards touching cases, poor soldering, that sort of thing. Also, after this amount of time, replacing some of the caps might be in order, especially if they're electrolytics. That could be part of the noise problem.

Interesting gadgets. I consider them the first modeling amp, although analogue. They were sure used by a lot of people back in the day, even by some who are now considered tone gods.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search