The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
AMEK 501, BIG, RECALL Contributions and Info
Old 14th September 2016
Here for the gear

Cool AMEK 501, BIG, RECALL Contributions and Info

I would like to start a thread for all of you slutz out there that has any info or schematics on AMEKS BIG, Recall, and 501 by Langley consoles. There is very little info in these consoles available. Perhaps we can compile a common place for everyone with info we have to keep these consoles up and running.

My contribution is the power supply cable info.

The plus 17.5 is red, minus 17.5 is blue, phantom 48 is Yellow, analogue ground is Green, 'digital' ground is black and 5 Volts is White.
The 5 volts and it's ground have 'sensing' which are the thinner wires of the same colour. ie 5 volts thinner white is 5 volts sense and thinner black is 5 volts grnd sense

Most if not all BIGs used a Cannon EP8 connector, also manufactured by Alcatel.
The power supplies vary and the one shown uses a HARTING HAN 16 E-M connector

schematic for Amek Big power cable

This info worked for my 501 console. As always check your board side color coding to the pins on the type of connector you have.

Cheers
Old 5th October 2016
Lives for gear

I don't know if you will have any contributors. Because the service manual is like $500 for my M2500
Old 9th October 2016
Replace the 2150 VCA's with THAT 2180A VCA's. Remove the 51 ohm resistor off pin 4. Some like the THAT balanced output driver chips more than the stock Analog Devices part.

A better stereo mix sum opamp can improve mix clarity. Try a National LME49720 or BurrBrown OPA1612.
Old 12th October 2016
Here for the gear

Showtime help amek 501 40 channels

Here is the scenario. Boot up computer. When showtime 1st starts it goes thru the v/d test and fails with the error message incorrect software version for channels 3-36 (I have the last 4 channels out.)

I continue on and the software boots into console faders. all faders work fine. When I call up the vd a box comes up and says channel 1 and then software stops responding.

I also reconfigured the software and only turned on 1-2 for vd . it did not give an error upon boot . but when I call up the dynamics the box stating channel 1 comes up and the software locks up with no response. have to shut off computer and reboot.

I also reconfigured so vd was on only on the 1st 16 channels. same results. error 3-16 = incorrect software version and when calling vd from software same box chn 1 and computer locks up.

I also pulled channels 1 and 2 out and same errors as above.

here are some pics.

Old 12th October 2016
Lives for gear

Hi
No 1, don't mess with the software.
No 2, check 5 volts AT the VD cards. Must be 5.00 Volts.
Matt S
Old 10th March 2017
Here for the gear

Computer connection for recall and 501 showtime

Computer Ports Many computers can have the hardware port addresses set during the operating system setup process. These default settings may not be correct for Showtime. Port settings are often changed in a similar manner to power management by holding certain keys whilst the computer performs a cold boot (i.e. boot from being switched off). Refer to the manual supplied with your computer.
Port Settings
The console must connect to COM1 with the hardware address set to 3F8 (hex) and use IRQ4. The parallel port must be at hardware address 378 (hex), IRQ7. As well as setting the port addresses, some computers give further parallel port options. This may require experimentation to determine the setting most suitable for carrying the spoken Recall information and Virtual Dynamics control. Do not be tempted to experiment with changing other items in the setup unless you are an expert at solving computer problems! It is essential that the console port COM1 is a high performance type. If your computer has MS-DOS, a utility is included which allows many computer parameters, including the COM port type to be displayed. This Microsoft program is run by typing "MSD" <ENTER> Pressing "C" causes the serial port parameters to be displayed. Check the bottom line which displays the UART chip used. It must be a 16550A (or later) to avoid the risk of failures. If you do not have this utility, contact AMEK Technical Support for advice.

The only 2 connections are the 9 pin serial port 1 and the lpt or printer port connections which are a part of the computer. These do not use a card in the computer like Supertrue automation does.
You do need a special cable.
Old 10th March 2017
Lives for gear

Hi
Thanks for repeating the port instructions. The only error in what you have said is that a BIG does run Supertrue but it does not need a special card in the computer as it uses the same hardware as the Recall and 501.
You are correct that all other AMEK desks use an interface card (979) inside the PC.
Matt S
Old 13th March 2017
Here for the gear
Hi guys, i dont want to clog up this thread, but i started another thread about BIG PSU, MASTER SECTION, CPU CARD issues, would love some input and also looking for a reliable tech in Los Angeles area, with AMEK experience preferably, but if not just a good solid tech with the right tools that can clean up a card or two.

Thanks
Old 17th March 2017
Lives for gear

Hi
Tip to all Recall, Big, 501 and media 51 desks, replace the NiCd battery every year or two.
Leaking batteries WILL kill the CPU board!
Strictly it is not needed in a BIG but is when running Showtime on Recall, 501 and I think Media desks.
Otherwise just keep things clean!
Matt S
Old 11th April 2017
Here for the gear

Hello everyone. You know where to find the technical manual Amek Recall ?
I need to see the power connection diagram, inside my .in the console has been modified to fit the consol to another feeder,
thanks
Old 12th April 2017
Lives for gear

Hi
The manual is available from Audiomaintenance in the UK.
Matt S
Old 21st August 2017
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsptec View Post
Hello everyone. You know where to find the technical manual Amek Recall ?
I need to see the power connection diagram, inside my .in the console has been modified to fit the consol to another feeder,
thanks
I had to open the back of the console and sort the colors. They are as follows:
The plus 17.5 is red, minus 17.5 is blue, phantom 48 is Yellow, analogue ground is Green, 'digital' ground is black and 5 Volts is White.
The 5 volts and it's ground have 'sensing' which are the thinner wires of the same color. ie 5 volts thinner white is 5 volts sense and thinner black is 5 volts gnd sense.
If my memory serves me right they are connected to small boards that show the plus and minus voltages right on the board
Old 21st August 2017
Here for the gear

power supply connections

Here are the power supply diagrams for a big console. These are simular to 501, recall console also
Always trace your wires on the console side to verify before you apply power to your board
Attached Thumbnails
AMEK 501, BIG, RECALL Contributions and Info-pins401ps.jpg  
Old 22nd August 2017
Here for the gear

amek big, 501 and recall computer cable layout

This is from a big 44 manual but should work for 501 and recall consoles.

Link to Large photo of computer cable
Attached Thumbnails
AMEK 501, BIG, RECALL Contributions and Info-comp-cable-amek-big.jpg  
Old 20th October 2017
Gear Nut

Hi!
I have just bought My self a 56 ch recall with 8 RN channels. I have some minor isiues But I think they Will clear out once I ger everything sortens out. The main thing right now is that when I asign a vd to a channel it solos the channel and stops the Sound on the other channels. I also can not se any metering on the screen like gain reduction. It seems like it,s not proccessing the audio apart from that the make up gain works.
Whats your take on that?
All the best
Fredrik
Old 1st December 2017
Gear Head
Recall/Big cpu

I hope this thread can resurrect since I just got a Recall. It's a Langley with a couple of RN-channels. I got this extremely cheap since the recall system was dead. With a little bit of courage and a screwdriver I discovered that a little fire had taken place on the CPU card. I have searched the entire internet (feels like) looking for spare parts for this console. There are parts out there but no CPU. I've learned that the Big console has the same 1121 CPU, and hope someone has a box filled with old Amek stuff, and a working CPU as well.

I love this thing. Thank God there is a bypass-computer function making it possible to use it without the recall, VD and so on. But of course, I would very much like to have that working as well.
Old 2nd December 2017
Lives for gear

Hi
The BIG, Recall and 501 all use the same 1121 CPU card but there are different EPROM chips in a big.
The 'fire' may not be that serious and can possibly be repaired. You are unlikely to find any 'new' CPU boards.
PM me for other info.
Matt S
Old 4th December 2017
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Syson View Post
Hi
The BIG, Recall and 501 all use the same 1121 CPU card but there are different EPROM chips in a big.
The 'fire' may not be that serious and can possibly be repaired. You are unlikely to find any 'new' CPU boards.
PM me for other info.
Matt S
Thanks for info! I do have the repair of the CPU card as plan B, but it might as well end up as plan A since I found a guy believing it can be fixed. I include a picture if anyone wants to have a second opinion on that. It is a chip and a couple of diodes that needs to be exchanged, but the card itself may not that be so bad.
Attached Thumbnails
AMEK 501, BIG, RECALL Contributions and Info-img_0249.jpg  
Old 4th December 2017
Lives for gear

Hi
Looks a mess but a decent 'tech' should be able to sort it out. It is unlikely to look pretty afterwards though.
The main 'fire' appears to have been the tantalum caps (not a totally uncommon problem) so most will be 'smoke' damage.
With the benefit of 30 or more years 'hindsight', using tantalum caps on power rails is a bad idea, as they can 'short' randomly for no observable reason, although they were recommended by PSU chip makers (Nat Semiconductor etc) as electrolytic caps which were effective at high frequencies did not exist 30+ years ago.
Matt S
Old 4th January 2018
Gear Head

Cpu board problem

HELLO! i want to disconect the cpu board and everything between PC and the console. Just to use it like an analog console. Does any body know HOW ?
Thank you so much
Old 13th December 2018
Here for the gear

CPU bypass

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesafiro View Post
HELLO! i want to disconect the cpu board and everything between PC and the console. Just to use it like an analog console. Does any body know HOW ?
Thank you so much
I want to do the same any luck did you ever convert the Amek for just analog path removing cpu card
Old 13th December 2018
Lives for gear

Hi
It depends which desk you have, Big,Recal,501 or Media 51.
While I can help with suggestions you will need a manual for the desk. I have manuals. If you need a manual they are available from Audiomaintenance and are not that expensive.
Matt S
Old 14th December 2018
Lives for gear

For deeper info on these, I would try the analogconsole.com forums also - there is much amek-specific info to be had there...

Jakob E.
Old 14th February 2019
Here for the gear

With a Recall , you only need to push the button Fader Isolate to have it analog without any digital control.
So don't remove anything from the console in my opinion
Old 22nd April 2019
Here for the gear

Hi all, sorry to resurrect such an old thread. I have a 501 Langley that had a little "fire" occur mid session and after taking out the master channel strip its come clearly from on the CPU board.

We don't use the CPU, mainly because we can't get hold of an appropriate computer to do it. Is there a way to deactivate or disconnect the board from being used? someone mentioned above about "fader isolate" which doesn't ring any bells on the 501. I'm a bit worried about firing it up in case theres more damage to be done!
Old 22nd April 2019
Lives for gear

Hi
You must find out what burned and preferably repair it. The reason for it failing may be an over high 5 Volt rail which could cause other failures if not investigated.
Without checking, the fader isolate command signal goes 'through' the CPU card, mainly coming in on one connector and straight out on a different connector.

Without the CPU card, apart from the fader isolate 'command' some other functionality is lost although I forget the specifics. Group setups are retained in a Recall, can't remember about a 501.
Matt S
Old 22nd April 2019
Here for the gear

Fantastic, thanks for your quick reply! - The CPU has been essentially dead as long as we have had it (at least, nothing on the LED screen for recall) and we have never had the time to go get hold of an old P1 or 486 computer/figure out the crazy multi-pin connector to even try.

Having said that no other obvious issues found when looking at the board apart from our new little fire, but there are most definitely some "modifications" done to the master strip with new wires up and down it, so maybe the previous owners have bypassed it some how.

We have a Blue Dog power supply made up for this desk and its been running fine for about 3/4 months. Because its in a studio we haven't needed any real recall functionality (though would be nice for analog mixes)

So is it safe to say the consensus is we couldn't just disconnect the CPU card and power it up
Old 22nd April 2019
Lives for gear

The CPU card normally boots and 'recycles' the fader and switch data continuously.
When you plug a PC in and start Showtime it 'breaks' the loop and the data then goes via the PC.
The lack of LED screen info doesn't necessarily mean it is not doing that, but there is no knowing what has been done to it over the years.
It won't make anything get damaged by removing the CPU card so you can certainly do that. I have a feeling that the faders fail to 'isolate' anyway.
I would remove the CPU, power up and check that all the supply rails are correct INSIDE the desk. Then see what works and doesn't.
Good luck.
Matt S
Old 22nd April 2019
Here for the gear

Amazing info man. We are lucky to have a tech in our building who is very au fait with a lot of AMEK fully analog stuff and this info will definitely go miles to helping us out. We didn't see ourselves getting the CPU to work any time soon and just need the nice preamps/routing flexibility that the 501 has.

You have NO IDEA how grateful we are for your reply dude! thanks!!
Old 30th April 2019
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Syson View Post
Good luck.
Matt S
I have a Recall question, and Matt seems to know quite a bit about these consoles.

I actually have two Recalls. One with Langley channels and one with Neves. The Langley too had a fire, but I’m pretty shure someone spilled something into it. Anyway, on the Langley the “Solo in place” worked, but nothing happens when I try to engage this function on the Neve. Is there something else I need to do in order to make it work?

Thanks!
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear