The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
AMEK 501, BIG, RECALL Contributions and Info
Old 30th April 2019
Lives for gear

Hi
As far as I am aware the Solo in place should work the same, however I have not been in a Recall for a few years so can't say definitely. I am scheduled to be working on one at the end of this week so could say after that.
Best
Matt S
Old 30th April 2019
Gear Head
Thanks! I can’t really recall (pun intended) that I did anything special to make this function work on my first Recall. I have read the manual to see if there might be som internal jumper to switch, but no luck so far. Then again, a switch like that may exist under a name i did not understand. Or something like that...
Old 25th May 2020
Here for the gear

Hi Matt,

I have just pulled the cpu card from my recall to swap out the nicad battery - hoping I am not too late!

Are there any precautions prior to desoldering the battery?

thanks
Old 25th May 2020
Lives for gear

Hi
For a Recall, as you will be needing a new battery, presumably nimH nowadays as the older NicD are or should be obsolete you must take great care not to damage the through hole plating on the 3 pins. I would suggest cutting them with close fitting side cutters leaving a short 'stub' that you can then pull out individually rather than expecting to get all 3 pins clear at the same time.
Any grouping information that might have been stored will be 'lost' of course but I expect it would be reloaded when you run Showtime again.
Other than this there should be no problems. Cleaning the circuit board surfaces would be a good move of course.
Matt S
Old 25th May 2020
Here for the gear

Hey Matt! Can you recommend any repair techs in the UK that a 501 CPU board could be shipped to for an overhaul/repair? We have a fantastic 501 thats just lost its CPU and we don't seem to have any local tech's willing or able to take a look. Sorry if thats a massive question!
Old 25th May 2020
Lives for gear

Hi Johnny
Please define 'just lost it's CPU'.
Ordinarily I would look at them and I am not aware of anyone else in the UK who would. Colin at Audiomaintainance MIGHT however I am pretty sure he has no replacements available as I was looking for one last year.
You could PM me to discuss a bit further.
Matt S
Old 31st May 2020
I have a Big in now and I'm seeing reccuring issues with the Analog Devices balanced output drivers, the SSM2142. The DC offset polarity is reversed on the inverting outputs so about 1/2 of the el blocking caps are installed backwards. That causes cap failure shown as a cap with a bulging top. The 12 channel buss pcb card has 1/2 of the replaced caps bad and have to be replaced, again.

Do check the dc offset polarity when replacing any el cap in these consoles, it will save you later headaches.
Old 31st May 2020
Lives for gear

Indeed, or use bipolar electrolytics.
It is disappointing that SSM didn't pay more attention to the 'random' nature of the possible DC offset since the use as an 'economical' audio balanced out was the intention in the design of these chips.
Op amps with distinct bias currents can be 'engineered' to give a known input and output offset so to have it 'random' or not easily nullable is a bit of a failing.
Matt S
πŸ“ Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
πŸ–¨οΈ Show Printable Version
βœ‰οΈ Email this Page
πŸ” Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
πŸŽ™οΈ View mentioned gear