The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
The GUTZ
Old 20th September 2011
Gear Nut

Sick Brick dual mic pre

Homebrew "Sick Brick" preamp. Uses 2 Neve BA183 circuits in push-pull, and massive UTC output transformers. The BA183 inputs use FETs instead of the BC184C transistor.

Old 20th September 2011
Gear Nut

Iron Lab channel strip

How about a Neve, Pultec and LA-2A in one box?

Old 22nd September 2011
Lives for gear

Hey jlaber,
Those boxes look AMAZING!
I bet they sound just the same!
p.
Old 27th September 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by R-AP.SCI View Post
...ok, now THIS is better! The chassis will be completed within the next few days...in the meantime I'll run it through a veritable gauntlet of tests.
Nice one! What is the Pegasus mic, and where can I find out more about this PSU? I am looking at building a tube rectified supply for a 30's bottle mic...
Old 28th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Good day @starseed...

.....The Pegasus and its power supply is a tube microphone system of my design that has been a labor of love and dedication for me through the last several years. I will be releasing/debuting it at this years AES convention...perhaps a little earlier for the fellow gearslutz to get in on it sooner.

I would be happy to help in any way I can regarding you building or acquiring a supply...please contact me via p.m. if you want to discuss details.
Old 28th September 2011
Gear Addict

what I should be working on...lol

I like blackface deluxe reverbs...and build them a few gut pics...
the latest uses vintage blue molded caps, very hard to find, but true to a 60s BFDR

Last edited by chipss36; 28th September 2011 at 11:53 PM.. Reason: [IMG]https://www.gearslutz.com/board/members/chipss36-albums-deluxe-reverbs-picture7005-hand-burnished-chassis.jpg[/IMG]
Old 7th October 2011
Gear Head

Inside the Drawmer HQ

Our first time in this thread and the first time with its top off in public! Showing the full innards, the DAC section and the SRVC (seamless relay volume control) boards.
Attached Thumbnails
The GUTZ-photo2.jpg   The GUTZ-photo15.jpg   The GUTZ-photo.jpg  
Old 7th October 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kieronc View Post
Our first time in this thread and the first time with its top off in public! Showing the full innards, the DAC section and the SRVC (seamless relay volume control) boards.
I like red PCBs! They look like real blood-n-guts inside the box.
Old 8th October 2011

Drawmer, That's a beautiful build. I sure appreciate what I see in that unit. Kudos!
Old 10th October 2011
Gear Head

Thanks EveAnna, it's good to be appreciated by those who know!
Old 12th October 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks EveAnna, it's good to be appreciated by those who know!
I guess I'll just go hang-out with the rest of the chopped liver.
Old 12th October 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
Chopped liver looks like blood-n-guts, too!

Frank
Old 12th October 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post

Should I tell him that the hand-soldering looks like it's a bit too stingy on the solder? Looks like it's 2-layer PCB, so the plated through holes ought to be plenty stout, but still...

But we're just chopped liver.

-tINY

Old 12th October 2011
Gear Head

Apologies to Jimbo and anyone else offended by my comment, that wasn't my intention.
Old 12th October 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Apologies to Jimbo and anyone else offended by my comment, that wasn't my intention.
We're just giving you a hard time, my man.

All's good!
Old 12th October 2011

It's good.

Question, though... is the price differential between a 2 and 4 layer board big enough that 4-layer is a no-starter?

I ask because most of the boards I deal with are at least 6 layers and up to 12. And, it seems that a ground and power plane would have benefits when it comes to noise on the sensitive nodes.

-tINY

Old 13th October 2011
Gear Head

Hi tINY, Good question.

If at any stage during the development we had thought we could have a benefitted from using a four layer board, we would have done, as you state, the price differential would have made very little difference to the end build cost. If we had any IC much bigger (in terms of pin count) than the 28 pin tssops then we would have had to.

Using mixed signal and analogue layout and tracking techniques that have been developed over the years we were confident that we could get the low noise and low THD results we required using two layers, obviously there are ground planes on layer two. All the standard basic rules apply, taking care of virtual earths, decouplers close to pins, tracking grounds with signals etc. etc.
Hum is well below -130dBFs.

Like everyone, we are always learning and did find a couple of nice surprises during this design.

I hope that answers your question, cheers, Kieron.
Old 25th October 2011
Deleted 93bb4d4
Juno 106 TLC

So I got a Juno 106 for a decent price. As it had sticky buttons and faders, I decided to do a few things before I did a recalibration back to factory spec:

First was a full recap of the power board with some Nichicon PW series...

The original soldered-in battery for the memory measured good (well above minimal spec in the Roland service manual) but then I decided an old PC could afford to miss its CMOS memory battery compartment for the sake of the Juno...

I did the acetone soak on the 6 x AHQ80017A's but two couldn't be salvaged so I put in the Analog Renaissance/D'Naab's D80017A. I must say it really is a better design versus the delicate (and practically unfixable once the coating is removed) original...

After installing a proper 3 pin (pc style) power connector and doing a full calibration- I decided some wood sides (and front) wouldn't hurt...

Sorry for no "guts shot" in the last pic...

Old 26th October 2011
Deleted 37a7726
Finished up a BA4 with Jensen transformers & 990s, Sound great.
Channels 1&2 = JT-MB-CA, Channels 3&4 = JT-11K8-APC. Outputs = JT-11-BMQ.
+/- 0.5 dB 20-20khz - +1 dB boost @ 30khz with the 11k8
noise floor @ -107 with gain up.
0.0019 THD

DSC_0003 by rhythminmind, on Flickr

DSC_0005 by rhythminmind, on Flickr

DSC_0014 by rhythminmind, on Flickr

DSC_0020 by rhythminmind, on Flickr

DSC_0029 by rhythminmind, on Flickr

DSC_0031 by rhythminmind, on Flickr

DSC_0034 by rhythminmind, on Flickr

DSC_0037 by rhythminmind, on Flickr

DSC_0047 by rhythminmind, on Flickr

DSC_0056 by rhythminmind, on Flickr

DSC_0054 by rhythminmind, on Flickr

DSC_0060 by rhythminmind, on Flickr
Old 26th October 2011
500 series nutjob

oh so hony drippen sweet looking peice of gearsultz gear!
very cool: )~
hehheh
very very cool: )~
Old 26th October 2011
Gear Maniac

Here Unit7, allow me
Quote:
Originally Posted by unit7 View Post
670 recreation... Looks even better in reality...
Attached Thumbnails
The GUTZ-at101-1004-1-.jpg   The GUTZ-101-chassis-full-production.jpg   The GUTZ-early-production-stages.jpg   The GUTZ-101-inside-prototype-unit.jpg   The GUTZ-v102-pre-cut.jpg  

The GUTZ-ct101br.jpg  
Old 26th October 2011
That's a point to point absolute masterpiece. I'm really envious of you guys that can do this kind of quality work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by unit7 View Post
670 recreation... Looks even better in reality...
Old 28th October 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkbirge View Post
That's a point to point absolute masterpiece. I'm really envious of you guys that can do this kind of quality work.
Just to be clear...I did not build that unit. It's the Analogtube limiter...
Old 4th November 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlaber View Post
Homebrew "Sick Brick" preamp. Uses 2 Neve BA183 circuits in push-pull, and massive UTC output transformers. The BA183 inputs use FETs instead of the BC184C transistor.

very very nice
Old 4th November 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlaber View Post
Homebrew "Sick Brick" preamp. Uses 2 Neve BA183 The BA183 inputs use FETs instead of the BC184C transistor.
How does the BA183 effect the sound as compared to the BC184?
Old 28th November 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanEldred View Post
How does the BA183 effect the sound as compared to the BC184?
When I read my original text today it isn't very clear. There are two circuits based on the Neve BA183 card per channel. I adapted them to cross-couple each one for push-pull, and the input transistors, which are BC184C on the original Neve design, have 2N3819 FETs in their place. I don't remember exactly how I did the phase-splitting but the input is single-ended FET. The reason the output is push-pull (still class A), is that the output trannies won't handle much unbalanced DC, so the 2 sides provide balanced DC.

The result is not especially Neve-like. It has a massive feel, where the coloration seems loose in the lows (30-45 Hz) and sparkly in the highs (16-20K) where the Neve seems tighter at sub bass frequencies and fat in the mid-bass. I did an 8-bar multitrack test recording, using it on every track, that sounds pretty amazing in retrospect, kinda jazzy thing, but I'm no composer so it could be awfully embarassing to plaster it over the world. I just throw together whatever comes out when I pick up an instrument. However, I have a jazz trumpet session coming up this Friday where I'll be using the Brick as gain makeup for a passive summing mixer, so I'll probably post some samples from that.

The session idea started a lot bigger until I impaled my leg while trimming trees (say 500 lb limbs), so I'm going for simplicity, considering I won't be walking for another month. So it will be a real horn against synths and samples for the accopaniment.
Old 17th December 2011
Lives for gear

Moogerfoogers 102 ring modulator, 103 phaser, 104 analog delay (original), 105m MIDIMurf, 108m Cluster Flux
Attached Thumbnails
The GUTZ-moog_mf-gutz.jpg  
Old 17th December 2011
Lives for gear

Lexicon Model 200 (recapped, new battery)
Attached Thumbnails
The GUTZ-lexicon_model-200-hood-open-1.jpg   The GUTZ-lexicon_model-200-hood-open-2.jpg   The GUTZ-lexicon_model-200-hood-open-3.jpg  
Old 20th December 2011
Gear Maniac

Focusrite Saffire PRO 24 DSP

I was asked to take a look at it because one input channel was intermittent. (leaking cap)

I was surprised to see such an abundance of 85-degree-rated samxon caps and JRC4565 Opamps in a very recent (modern) piece of equipment.
Also in there among others were two NJM4556 and TL027 Opamps.

I know this is a rather cheap interface, yet after Focusrite's Liquid 56 interface (which I own - expect mugshots of that one!) this is supposed to be the next best thing qualitywise.

I wonder how this one would pass in a converter blind test - since it's mostly the analogue part of any converter that has the strongest impact on it's sound quality...

Or am I simply prejudiced against opamp models starting with 4...?

Also posted some close-ups of the other ICs in there (unknown to me).
Attached Thumbnails
The GUTZ-saffire_pro_24dsp_jrc4565.jpg   The GUTZ-saffire_pro_24dsp_njm4556.jpg   The GUTZ-saffire_pro_24dsp_dice.jpg   The GUTZ-saffire_pro_24dsp_dsp.jpg   The GUTZ-saffire_pro_24dsp_spansion.jpg  

The GUTZ-saffire_pro_24dsp_samsung.jpg  
Old 22nd December 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebism View Post
I was asked to take a look at it because one input channel was intermittent. (leaking cap)

I was surprised to see such an abundance of 85-degree-rated samxon caps and JRC4565 Opamps in a very recent (modern) piece of equipment.
Also in there among others were two NJM4556 and TL027 Opamps.

I know this is a rather cheap interface, yet after Focusrite's Liquid 56 interface (which I own - expect mugshots of that one!) this is supposed to be the next best thing qualitywise.

I wonder how this one would pass in a converter blind test - since it's mostly the analogue part of any converter that has the strongest impact on it's sound quality...

Or am I simply prejudiced against opamp models starting with 4...?

Also posted some close-ups of the other ICs in there (unknown to me).
The same could be said about SSL's Alpha Link, uses the JRC4565 also. A very expensive unit (channel count is high, I'll give them that) and using prosumer grade electronics??

I just don't understand it.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search