The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Proper Monitor Placement?
Old 5th February 2007
Here for the gear

Proper Monitor Placement?

I have a pair of Dynaudio Bm5a in a room that's 12x12. I know that you're supposed to create an equalateral triangle with the the distance from monitor to monitor and monitors to mixing position. From my research on the web I found a recommendation of having the mixing position 6.2 to 7.2 feet from the monitors.

What have people found to be a good distance?

I know that placement will vary and should depend on room size etc, but I'm just trying to see what distances have worked for people.

Thanks!
Old 5th February 2007
Lives for gear

In my honest, unqualified opinion, I'd have to say put them wherever it is they sound the even to your ears, or wherever the response measures the most linear @ mix position. Although this is the main goal in almost any situation, (astetics aside), you already are facing an uphill battle as a square room is far from a favorable dimension acoustically. However, IMNSHO in a less than stellar acoustic environment (a house) the walls don't necessarily matter as much as how close you are to the exterior wall (cinder block, brick) as heavy materials are more likely to wreak low end modal havoc over interior standard 2x4" Studded 3/8" Drywall w/ R30 Insulation.

Get some measuring equipment if you are really serious, or just use your ears and pick the spot in the room that will give you the flattest frequency response @ mix position.
Old 6th February 2007
Gear Guru

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by doando View Post
I have a pair of Dynaudio Bm5a in a room that's 12x12. I know that you're supposed to create an equalateral triangle with the the distance from monitor to monitor and monitors to mixing position. From my research on the web I found a recommendation of having the mixing position 6.2 to 7.2 feet from the monitors.
A square room needs as much bass trapping as possible, so you should look into that ASAP. Getting bass traps in the room will help you far more than moving the speakers and mix position around.

That said, the best place for your head is about 4.5 feet away from the front wall you face. Then put the speakers in an equal triangle with your head. This is a small room, so you'll be very much "near field." I'll venture each side of the triangle should be somewhere around 3 feet.

--Ethan
Old 6th February 2007
Lives for gear
The square room will definitely be a problem that you will have to deal with. That said, you will need to keep the speakers atleast 2-3 feet away from the corners, so the speakers won't couple with the corners which will act as a horn. Probably 6-7 feet apart. Intersection of the same distance from both speakers marks you listening spot.
Old 6th February 2007
Here for the gear

Thanks for the replies everyone.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search