The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
MOTU Pres
Old 5th February 2007
Lives for gear

MOTU Pres

Hi everyone -

I may be needing to go Firewire in my studio and would like to stay below $1000. Theoretically I would like 16 analog inputs (like I currently have) but for $1000 I can probably only get 8. The interfaces I am debating are the MOTU Traveler and the MOTU 896HD. I heard many people say that the Traveler's pres are noisy. I was wondering if the 896HD uses the same pres.

Also I noticed that the 896HD does not have SPDIF. So far I only ever used the SPDIF to connect a guitar processor to my soundcard, but I only did that for a while. Will I miss having the SPDIF connection? What would I use it for?

Thanks,

Rob
Old 5th February 2007
Gear Guru

I have an 828 and an ADA8000 (or whatever the damn model is), they were under $1000 and give me 10 mic pres.
Old 5th February 2007
Lives for gear

Have you seen that motu now has this product: http://www.motu.com/products/motuaudio/8pre/

I don't know anything about it but I thought It might be interesting for you?
Old 5th February 2007
Lives for gear

That 8pres looks interesting but I am looking for something that will go to 192.
Old 5th February 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazman View Post
That 8pres looks interesting but I am looking for something that will go to 192.
Aahh ok! Personally I think 192 is overkill...
Old 5th February 2007
Lives for gear

I got 24 for 500 bucks. 1224s and the PCI card that runs them. It is beautiful and fast to run 24 in and out and mix on a real board (inline). Things come together really really fast.

Love it. And maybe I am lucky or something but the interfaces are rock solid.

Much love here for the older admittedly lower Fidelity 1224s in great abundance!
Old 5th February 2007
Lives for gear

Except that I need firewire due to using a laptop :-(
Old 5th February 2007

The Motu units are picky about Firewire PHY - Apples work, but Windows systems are a crapshoot and you may end up buying a PCMCIA card with TI chipset.

I have the 896HD and it's a solid unit. Not anything that you seek out for any chaacteristic, but useable for nearly anything.

The AES port will take in most S/Pdiff streams if you get an impedance converter.

-tINY

Old 6th February 2007
Lives for gear

With Firewire (say MOTU 896HD), if one was to connect a couple or 3 of the interfaces, can you still run at 192/24?

Also, I read on another forum that MOTU still says you have to remove SP2 in XP to run multiple cards (the deal was dated 2004). Has MS done any updates to this since?

Thansk again,
Old 7th February 2007
Lives for gear

Do what you will, but 192k on a MOTU device doesn't make any sense. Now, plugin processing at 192, 384, 512; sure. But AD at 192k on a MOTU device.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazman View Post
Old 7th February 2007
Lives for gear

why do you say that? What about an RME FF800? Is it really that much better than a MOTU?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search