The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Wierd mixer problem
Old 4th February 2007
Here for the gear

Wierd mixer problem

My mixer has started to "block out" low volume signals, form time to time. If my singer is doing a vocal bit, and theres a break, then he will have to shout to get a signal through, sort of like a gated signal, only i dont use a gate!! Im using a Allen & heath GL2 mixer, and i have no idea what is wrong.. i have tried all of the preamps, and routing options, with the same result. Usually we use 2 mics, and it switches witch one is "down & out", and will have to be blown back into action..

anyone??
Old 4th February 2007
Lives for gear

Hi
This type of fault is often a dirty contact on either a switch or connector but that is when it is one signal path only. Your query was not quite specific enough to say of this fault appears on one channel going to left and right (single signal path in the channel) or if a pair of channels is acting the same way but routed 2 paths throughout. If the latter then it really would be wierd.
Matt S
Old 4th February 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by micapost View Post
My mixer has started to "block out" low volume signals, form time to time. If my singer is doing a vocal bit, and theres a break, then he will have to shout to get a signal through, sort of like a gated signal, only i dont use a gate!! Im using a Allen & heath GL2 mixer, and i have no idea what is wrong.. i have tried all of the preamps, and routing options, with the same result. Usually we use 2 mics, and it switches witch one is "down & out", and will have to be blown back into action..

anyone??
Sometimes a dirty or oxidized insert jack will exhibit that behavior. The higher voltage of shouting actually punches through the oxide layer. You may be able to clear the problem by exercising the switch contact (just plug in and out a few times). If really bad insert a TRS plug with tip to ring shorted, until you can replace the insert jack.

JR
Old 4th February 2007
Lives for gear

I am too late to suggest you to clean contacts.
Is it one channel that needs a blow up, or the whole mixer?
Old 5th February 2007
Here for the gear

It appears on all channels i think, and both on main outputs and submix, both mono & stereo.
I guess it needs cleaning?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search