The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Help me Identify my new tube pre... and tell me where to get it serviced!
Old 3rd February 2007
Gear Maniac

Help me Identify my new tube pre... and tell me where to get it serviced!

Hey Slutz,

I bought these beauties on ebay last week. I must have lucked out because I found all Telefunken tubes on the inside!... There are no markings on them other than the "Concertone" logo on the meter. I can't find a model # on them anywhere. Anybody recognize these? My research online has turned up nothing.

They come on, and the tubes glow... but they pass no audio. I'm guessing they need some new caps? Where would you guys send this type of stuff for an overhaul?

Help me Identify my new tube pre... and tell me where to get it serviced!-02-02-07_1005.jpg

Help me Identify my new tube pre... and tell me where to get it serviced!-02-02-07_2048.jpg

Help me Identify my new tube pre... and tell me where to get it serviced!-02-02-07_2055.jpg

Help me Identify my new tube pre... and tell me where to get it serviced!-02-02-07_2057.jpg

Help me Identify my new tube pre... and tell me where to get it serviced!-02-02-07_2101.jpg
Old 3rd February 2007
Gear Maniac

one more...

Help me Identify my new tube pre... and tell me where to get it serviced!-02-02-07_1006.jpg
Old 3rd February 2007
Gear Head

Cool Wes; I think I'm having a flashback to the late sixties, or maybe it's the early '70's. Those pc boards look like they are loaded with Japanese resistors and the build quility seems to be Japanese or possibly European or U.S. Can you find any markings on the transformers or the filter caps for the power supply; if so it might help narrow down where it was made. Right now I'll guess the whole unit was made in Japan for the U.S. broadcast market.

As far as getting it serviced you're going to have to find a tech in your area who is not leary of old tube based pc board equipment. If you were in Alaska I'd say I was your best option. But you're not so I won't. Most of the younger techs these days won't work on old pc board stuff mainly because they've never done much of it and it isn't exactly a cakewalk when you have done alot of it.

Those units may fall into the basket case catgory for servicing and if that's truly the case you may be in for a fairly huge repair bill.

You might try using babelfish or some translation program to translate your search into Japanese.

good luck
gb
Old 3rd February 2007
Gear Maniac

Its definatley Japanese built, as 90% of the internal components have "SUZUKI" or "SUZUKIOHM" stamped on them. The output tranny has "TR 405" Stamped on it with a string of Japanese symbols. The Power Tranny says "TR108". I also notice that most of the caps say "Oil" on them.
Old 3rd February 2007
Lives for gear

tube glow just indicates heater voltages are present... i'm sure it would be worth at the least making sure the power supply is up and running... those filter cpas have to be roached... are there any reasonably competent guitar amp guys local???? they should be able to get you started....
Old 3rd February 2007
Gear Head

After poking around a bit on google, I believe that those were assembled or completely manufactured in France out of Japanese components. There is also the possibilty that it was completely designed and manufactured in Japan to be marketed by a French company. If the front panel markings are in English it was probably designed for the British or North American broadcast market.

good luck
gb

btw oil may mean pcb's!---- known carcinogens! Be very careful with those!

Last edited by guitarbill; 3rd February 2007 at 10:17 PM.. Reason: safety issues
Old 3rd February 2007
Here for the gear

Berlant Concertones

Last edited by d_ddlay; 3rd February 2007 at 11:00 PM.. Reason: error
Old 15th May 2007
Gear Maniac

Well these guys have been sitting around for a while, I have yet to find the time to get them up and running :( ... However, I recieved a PM this morning from another GS member who just bought a similar set on ebay, the auction listing stated the following:

Quote:
PAIR BERLANT TEAC AMERICAN CONCERTONE SERIES 500 TUBE MIC PREAMPS
This is a pair of vintage tube microphone preamps. These were the last of the Berlant designs. I have researched the history. Berlant started to farm out some of the electronics to Teac, beginning with the Series 90s in 1960. They produced the smaller Concertone Series 500 in 1962. They are smaller versions of the Series 90s, but identical in design and internally. Then Teac bought Berlant’s designs, Berlant went away, and Teac re-branded the Berlant Series 90s and 500s- so they are also called Teac AR-9’s. The ONLY difference is the meter graphics!
I will include the schematic. They use 12AX7, 12AT7, 12BH7, and 6X4. Tubes not included.
Old 16th May 2007
Lives for gear

But you should understand that these aren't mike preamps. They're record/playback electronics for a tape deck. People who pull them out of the dumpster and sell them on ebay as "preamps" without any explanation are being dishonest.
Are you sure you've managed to set them into a mode where they're supposed to pass audio? If they're in "playback" mode they won't pass anything except what's coming off the playback head, which isn't there.
If it were me, I would (leave them on the shelf forever hoping to eventually) gut them for the transformers and other worthwhile components, and build an actual mike preamp out of them. After all, these are not valuable, collectible relics in need of restoration or preservation.
Old 16th May 2007
Gear Nut

Ya outta go thru the power supply before you do too much with them. Just get a schematic and bypass anything to do with the tansport and playback circuitry. No need to rip the things apart (IMO), but there's also no need to repair circuitry you don't need, either.
Old 16th May 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulysses View Post
But you should understand that these aren't mike preamps. They're record/playback electronics for a tape deck. People who pull them out of the dumpster and sell them on ebay as "preamps" without any explanation are being dishonest.
Are you sure you've managed to set them into a mode where they're supposed to pass audio? If they're in "playback" mode they won't pass anything except what's coming off the playback head, which isn't there.
If it were me, I would (leave them on the shelf forever hoping to eventually) gut them for the transformers and other worthwhile components, and build an actual mike preamp out of them. After all, these are not valuable, collectible relics in need of restoration or preservation.
These CONTAIN mic preamps, no mod is needed to use them as such. Just set the monitor mode to input, plug in a mic & go. And they sound great, a nice present & colorful midrange, I use the one at Lingo all the time. I think it was serviced by Boutique Audio.
Old 21st May 2014
Here for the gear

schematic ar9 c1 d1

hi I'm looking for
schematic of the teac tube
preamp they look like
the concertone, but
they are teac japan built

May someone help
Old 21st May 2014
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomademix View Post
hi I'm looking for
schematic of the teac tube
preamp they look like
the concertone, but
they are teac japan built

May someone help
I can help. Read the post 4 up from yours.
Old 26th December 2014
Here for the gear

Also looking for manuals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimace View Post
I can help. Read the post 4 up from yours.
I'm looking for manuals for the TEAC AR-11A and AR-11B preamps, which I believe are precursors of these, made in the late 50's. I'd be interested in the concertone manuals if you still have them, maybe their circuits will be close enough to the teac preamps to be useful

the first post on this thread has pictures of the units I'm trying to refurbish.
Old 26th December 2014
Lives for gear

Of course those are the electronics modules (record and playback amplifiers) for tape machines.
They won't "pass audio" on their own because they are designed to be connected to the record and playback heads on the tape deck.
Compared to modern integrated electronics, those things are really simple circuits and can easily be traced out to make your own schematic.
They were not all that popular back in their day, and it would not be surprising to find that there are no schematics online.
Dunno whether they were ever even published back in the day.
I guess I will never understand the fascination with that old crumbling vintage gear.
Old 27th December 2014
Here for the gear

Mine pass signal, they do have mic preamps built in. They just need a recap and new tubes. To explain my fascination with vintage gear: I paid a pretty penny for my UA610, which is based on a 50's era circuit, yet a pair of these old 50's TEAC preamps were brought to my studio for free. I figure if a recap and retube can be done in a few hours for under a thousand bucks in parts, I've got a serious bargain for two channels of high quality tube preamps. Also I'm irrationally curious about obscure old gear, and really want to know what they sound like in full working order.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search