The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Any pictures of Behr 1953 mods?
Old 1st February 2007
Gear Maniac

Any pictures of Behr 1953 mods?

Hello,

I'm trying to upgrade my 1953 ('cause it's laying around collecting dust, and I'd like to get into the DIY thing...) and I've found many recommendations about what to mod. The problem is I don't know what those parts look like, where I find them, where I buy them, and how to replace them.

Ok, so I'm REALLY new to this!heh

Any suggestions?
Old 1st February 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo1 View Post
Hello,

I'm trying to upgrade my 1953 ('cause it's laying around collecting dust, and I'd like to get into the DIY thing...) and I've found many recommendations about what to mod. The problem is I don't know what those parts look like, where I find them, where I buy them, and how to replace them.

Ok, so I'm REALLY new to this!heh

Any suggestions?
i replaced the "warmth" tubes with Ei Elite 12ax7L's (i think it's an L) and they did tend to help the sound a little.

I attempted to replace the opamps on the main board, but found that behringer placed a big metal wall in the way, so it's going to take some time, but i'll get them in.

I don't have pictures, but any replacement 12ax7 type preamp tube should work, i bought them at http://wwww.thetubestore.com

th opamps were from mouser: 595-OPA2604AP

again, i haven't put the opamps in yet so i can't say for sure how it'll work
Old 1st February 2007
Gear Nut

We just had discussion about this at other forum. We mostly agreed that it is really not worth moding 1953, except changing tubes.
If you look at the pcb you can all SMD parts, so it means they are so small that you will not be able to change them.
So changing tubes is the only thing you can do.
If you want to learn about electronics make preamp from kit or something. Good place to start is Prodigy Pro forum. But be carefull, diy is very addictive!

Good luck!

Miha
Old 1st February 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotation View Post
We just had discussion about this at other forum. We mostly agreed that it is really not worth moding 1953, except changing tubes.
If you look at the pcb you can all SMD parts, so it means they are so small that you will not be able to change them.
So changing tubes is the only thing you can do.
If you want to learn about electronics make preamp from kit or something. Good place to start is Prodigy Pro forum. But be carefull, diy is very addictive!

Good luck!

Miha
great post. i was going to remark that the opamps appear from a distant observation through the gulag of behringer aluminum, to be soldered, SMD ****. So yeah, tubes, not much else.

speaking of prodigy-pro, i'm about to build two mnats G1176LN clones. I'm WAY too excited.
Old 2nd February 2007
Gear Maniac

I had one of these that supposedly was modded with new input transformers. Does anyone know what that might mean? Never changed the tubes on that one... already done on the new one.

I've used the old one for some specific tasks and it worked, so I'd like to get the new one in the same order (or better). I don't own the old one anymore so I can't take a look-see! I know it's a junk pre, but when you find something that works...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search