The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
panel-mount connectors for Orban gear
Old 29th January 2007
Gear Head

panel-mount connectors for Orban gear

pane mount connectors for Orban 424a compressor and 474a equalizer

Hello

I recently bought an Orban 424a compressor and an Orban 474a equalizer. They came without jack or xlr-connectors so I would like to install it on the units. However, the holes for the inputs and outputs are of different sizes, so I have some problems finding xlr or trs panel-mount connectors that can fit the holes of the Orban units. Can anybody help me?

Regards,
Morten Brekke
Old 1st February 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by mortenbrekke View Post
pane mount connectors for Orban 424a compressor and 474a equalizer

Hello

I recently bought an Orban 424a compressor and an Orban 474a equalizer. They came without jack or xlr-connectors so I would like to install it on the units. However, the holes for the inputs and outputs are of different sizes, so I have some problems finding xlr or trs panel-mount connectors that can fit the holes of the Orban units. Can anybody help me?

Regards,
Morten Brekke
maybe i'm misunderstanding but:

Why not cut the aluminum chassis box and install panel mount xlr or 1/4" connectors
Old 1st February 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Why not cut the aluminum chassis box and install panel mount xlr or 1/4" connectors
Because the (steel) chassis box is already punched for XLR connectors, and there's a little plate covering those holes.

Quote:
The reason the male and female XLR connector holes are of diffenret sizes is because they're punched for a particular type of panel-mount XLR connectors that were the most popular at that time. Today, Neutrik A, B, and D series connectors are dominant and they have the same size holes for male and female. If you look at any older gear (probably anything before about 1995 or 2000) you'll see the kind of connectors you need - the body of the female panel-mount XLR is larger than the male (just like a praying mantis!). These connectors really aren't that hard to find - I'm at home and can't rattle off part numbers from memory, but I'm quite sure Digikey sells the Switchcraft parts you're looking for, as do lots of other mailorder joints. You might want to start out at the Switchcraft website. I know Neutrik also makes something in this form, but it may be easier to find from Switchcraft.

I hope that helps.
Old 1st February 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulysses View Post
Because the (steel) chassis box is already punched for XLR connectors, and there's a little plate covering those holes.

The reason the male and female XLR connector holes are of diffenret sizes is because they're punched for a particular type of panel-mount XLR connectors that were the most popular at that time. Today, Neutrik A, B, and D series connectors are dominant and they have the same size holes for male and female. If you look at any older gear (probably anything before about 1995 or 2000) you'll see the kind of connectors you need - the body of the female panel-mount XLR is larger than the male (just like a praying mantis!). These connectors really aren't that hard to find - I'm at home and can't rattle off part numbers from memory, but I'm quite sure Digikey sells the Switchcraft parts you're looking for, as do lots of other mailorder joints. You might want to start out at the Switchcraft website. I know Neutrik also makes something in this form, but it may be easier to find from Switchcraft.

I hope that helps.
steel! oh. harder to cut new holes. well then....i'll just shut my big mouth then
Old 1st February 2007
Lives for gear

I have some, may exchange them on Neutrik D types.

http://wavebourn.com/images/audio/micpre-2.gif

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search