The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Two heads, one cab.......problem?
Old 28th January 2007
Gear Nut

Two heads, one cab.......problem?

All -

I have installed speaker wiring between my control room and guitar booth so I can play and tweak in the control room. I have a 4 X 12 cab with two parallel jacks, and my thought was to keep two heads permanently plugged into the cab. As long as only one head is powered up at once, is there any problem? I'm thinking of any potential impedance or other issues, since essentially, the head that is on will possibly also be "seeing" the ouput side of the amp that's off. Just don't want any damage or issues.

Thanks,

Jim
Old 28th January 2007
Lives for gear

Big problem if amps are transistor.
Old 28th January 2007
Lives for gear

several companies offer a switcher for using one cab with 2 heads (one OR the other) but you must select SS or tube and not mix 'em. For the same $$$ you could get a single 10 or 12 cab that'll give you tones you cannot find in the 4x12.....either a pine cab with something Jensen like or a Blue in an open back (just be careful not to blow them) and always have either one or the other cab hooked up.

Andy
Old 28th January 2007
Gear Maniac

As you now realise - you cannot connect 2 amplifier heads in parallel to one cabinet - so you should either build a switcher, with a dummy load for the 'unused' amplifier (if it is a valve output type) - or just change over the speaker cable to the amp you wish to use!
Old 28th January 2007
Gear Addict

you want a radial headbone

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search