The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Vintage Ampeg B15N
Old 24th January 2007
500 series nutjob

Vintage Ampeg B15N

i was recently ask in a p.m.
Quote:
I just bought a 1966 Ampeg B15N.

I was reading a post of yours from a few days ago, and had a few quick questions for you.

I am wondering if I should replace the speaker or not. It currently has the original square magnet CTS speaker. Is this good enough, or should I replace it with a vintage JBL D130F?

Regarding tubes, it has all of the original tubes. I was thinking about getting some high end NOS tubes to replace the originals. Regardless of price, do you know what the best tubes to use are? Or should I keep the original tubes until they burn out?

I appreciate the info!

if the individual want feel free to chime in if not i will keep your identity privet

my repaly to the question was as follows.
Quote:
i guess it is all what you want in the end
the old cts speakers work so i would say they are fine, but if you can swing it it is hard to beat the JBL.
as far as tubes go i have always went for the NOS stuff i always feel i get a much better sound.
having said that i do use import tubes in many of my amp for the studio as well as gigs.
i have had good luck with the JJ tubes.
if you but NOS look for a reputable deal as opposed to just getting something off ebay.
many of the tubes on ebay are not NOS but simply cleaned and sold as NOS or sold as test like new.
be careful.
maybe some offer can chime in and offer some input or others views that maybe helpful.

Old 25th January 2007
Lives for gear

I'm with pan60 as far as NOS tubes go. Used or new, they're still old tubes, and with so many good new tubes currently available, why fool around. Personally, I'd enjoy the B15N as it sits, and wouldn't mess with it until it breaks. Hell, it's lasted this long...

For bass, guys used to replace the original speaker with the JBL D140. Amazing upgrade. Very thick and clear. I still have a used 140 boxed up and waiting for the right home.

You might repost at this site. Lots of vintage Ampeg folks over there.

http://usedampegs.proboards81.com

Best, Paul
Old 8th February 2007
ARS
Here for the gear

It was me ...

Hey Pan60 ... I've still been doing research on exactly which tubes to use and came across this thread today ... pretty cool …

The amp I bought is in perfect condition, but I've been on the phone with Jess Oliver in NY and I'm having it sent up to him for some additional love.

He suggested that I recone that original CTS speaker and turn it into 4 ohm in the process. Considering he created the amp, he should know. He said the JBL is nice, but is a little "brighter" and the recone to 4 ohm is “very nice”.

Anyways, I've been looking at some NOS tubes from the 50s and 60s, and I think I'm going to pick those up and have them sent directly to Mr. Oliver.

They are:

3 x RCA 5691 Red Base 6SL7 NOS 1950-60s
1 x Mullard GZ34/5AR4 NOS

And I can’t decide between:

2 x RCA 6L6GC Black Plate NOS
- or -
2 x GE 6L6GC NOS

Any thoughts on where I'm going with his?
Thanks...

- Andrew
Old 8th February 2007
500 series nutjob

mr Jess Oliver is a great guy!!!!
i am running a 4-ohm in mine and i do like it so i am all for that but i do think the jbl is a better speaker but thats just my opinion.
as for as the tubes i have had good results with both.
Old 8th February 2007
ARS
Here for the gear

hmm ...

Well, if you really think the JBL is better, then maybe I should just do that. Do you know what he is means by it being "brighter"?

Are you saying you have used both the RCA black plates and the GE's in your B15N? If so, what are the differences? What did you like more?

Thanks,
Andrew
Old 9th February 2007
500 series nutjob

i just think the build is better on the jbl and it seems more solid to me but the cts will sound fine.
as far as the tubes i generally use the jj's but at the moment i have some small bottle jan green label 6l6's in it.
i would not get to hung up on this tube verses that some of the new tubes are fine the jj's are very predictable but they are a little bright, in the b-15 they sound fine.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search