The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
would this be difficult or worth it?
Old 24th January 2007
Lives for gear

would this be difficult or worth it?

in the basement I found a replacement Matchless spring reverb for our old studio amp that's long gone.

I wonder is it possible to wire this up to use as an outboard spring reverb?

how hard would that be?

I bet it would be noisy.

Tried hooking it up to my crappy digital mixer on a send via 1/4" to rca and nothing came through.

any thoughts, techslutz?
Old 24th January 2007
Lives for gear

May be for some kind of theatrical effects, like sound in tonnel or in a gas pipe?
Old 24th January 2007
Lives for gear

I really love the sound of a Hammond three spring (like from a Fender combo) on certain parts of a mix, but that's me.

The question is:

Are you a King Tubby fan?

If "yes" then go fer it.

If you said "Who's King Tubby?" then you might not like it.

Heck, try it anyway.
Old 24th January 2007
Lives for gear

oh Max, I certainly 'Tub' out and would love the sound from this little springform.

however, I'm a bit perplexed when I hooked it up already with a 1/4" send out of my mixer and returned it to a channel and fed it good signal and got ~nothing~

so what do I need to do to bring on the dub crashes?
Old 24th January 2007
Lives for gear

Hi
Was it a case of the reverb didn't work so you kept it and threw the amp out whereas in reality it was the reverb spring that was bust all along?
The reverb return level will be pretty small so you possibly need to use a 'mic' input. You could check with an ohmmeter that both the send and return coils (if they are the coil type) are still connected internally. I have seen one unit with a 'ceramic' transducer and this would need a DI high impedance input and would not register on an ohmmeter.
Matt S
Old 24th January 2007
Lives for gear

you need a proper drive and pickup amplifier to make a spring reverb work - plugging a spring tank directly into a line out and into a line in will not work. The amplifiers need to generate a reasonable current to drive the spring. Some (most?) tanks come with a phono in/out, so i can see hoe it is easy to assume it doesn't need supporting circuits. Unfortunatly, it may be cheaper and easier to find a complete unit than to try to gety an amp for your spring.
Old 24th January 2007
Lives for gear

thanks for the replies fellas!

Matt--

this was a replacement for a Matchless Thunderchief or some such amp we had around here. My partner bought the replacement and never put it in the amp, and then sold it (I hope the buyer didn't mind). You know how certain things accumulate in the back room which aren't exactly junk, but....

yes, the phono inputs have deceived me into thinking it would be easy to use as an external reverb.

I should just probably give it to someone who needs a new spring reverb for an amp.....
Old 24th January 2007
Lives for gear

Hi
Given that you need to drive it with a decent output and that the return signal needs a fair bit of gain plus some EQ (channel input on a desk would be OK) you could use it virtually as it is. It's just not a 'line in, line out' box as you may have hoped.
Matt S
Old 24th January 2007
Lives for gear

Did you hear enything when you tap on the tank?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search