The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Tube Tech Mec-1a Problems
Old 23rd January 2007
Here for the gear

Tube Tech Mec-1a Problems

So yeah, I bought a used Tube Tech Mec-1a through e-bay it worked fine for 2-3 weeks. I always let it warm up and took good care of it on my end. So one day I go to use it and its crackly and hissing and I figured that a tube has blown. After I moved on and got done working I went to try it again and it was dead as a door nail (no sound or meter jumps). So I retubed the whole thing because I figured it was about time anyway and tested all of the fuses and one of the fuses was blown. Every time I replace that fuse and turn the thing on the same fuse blows. Fuse f201 on the board. After further inspection it looks like some joker replaced the power supply because there are somewhat sloppy hand solders where it connects.

I can't find a schematic or even a contact of how to fix or get this thing fixed. I would appreciate any nugget of insite. At this point I'm a bit frusrated and discouraged.
Old 24th January 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVRAMOLEW View Post
So yeah, I bought a used Tube Tech Mec-1a through e-bay it worked fine for 2-3 weeks. I always let it warm up and took good care of it on my end. So one day I go to use it and its crackly and hissing and I figured that a tube has blown. After I moved on and got done working I went to try it again and it was dead as a door nail (no sound or meter jumps). So I retubed the whole thing because I figured it was about time anyway and tested all of the fuses and one of the fuses was blown. Every time I replace that fuse and turn the thing on the same fuse blows. Fuse f201 on the board. After further inspection it looks like some joker replaced the power supply because there are somewhat sloppy hand solders where it connects.

I can't find a schematic or even a contact of how to fix or get this thing fixed. I would appreciate any nugget of insite. At this point I'm a bit frusrated and discouraged.

Try putting in a Slightly Larger fuse......
Old 25th January 2007
Here for the gear

Tube-Tech Mp1A repair

You can e-mail < [email protected] > for the current repair center in California. There is a new distributor ( www.cwsalesandmarketing.com > This should get you going. Cheers!
Brian
Old 25th January 2007
Here for the gear

I couldn't find the same size fuses so it was actually blowing a slightly bigger fuse everytime. Good Idea but I'm afraid if I go any bigger than I am I will fry something else.

I think I will use the California contact to see where I can get.

Thanks guys, I truely appreciate it.
Old 26th January 2007
Lives for gear

Hi
FIRSTLY, There is nearly 300 volts DC in that box so take necessary precautions. Have an 'assistant' watching incase you get a 'belt'. The HT will bleed off normally but it can take about a minute or more. If the unit has a fault then it may not bleed so fast.
All the fuses MUST be antisurge (T) types.
If your mains is a little above the rated value (in the UK we have 240 and the unit is nominally 230) then the next SMALL increment in fuse size may be necessary. For an example where the HT is a 63mA take it to 80mA.
If the fuse blows repeatedly look for a shorted rectifier.
Matt S
Old 27th November 2009
Here for the gear

J Bo

Just wanted to tell everybody that TUBE-TECH is now in the good hands of TransAudio Group from Las Vegas AND service is now handled exclusively by:
Thermal Relief Design also form Las Vegas. And those guys do things RIGHT!!
Thanks.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search