The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
SSL 4000E Channel Screws
Old 23rd January 2007
Gear Maniac

SSL 4000E Channel Screws

Does anyone know the size and standard of the screws used for an SSL 4k. I know they aren't metric. They are some sort of UK standard but I can't remember the name or the size and don't want to spend a fortune buying them from SSL parts.

Steve
Old 24th January 2007
Gear Maniac

Just in case anyone wants to know here it is.

The screws are BA (British Association) Screw Gauge standard.

Size 4BA x 5/16 Black Countersunk pan head posidrive head.

Whew that's a long one. As far as I know only one company in the US sells BA screws the name is British Fasteners They don't sell that particular type so if anyone knows of where to get these things let me know.

Steve
Old 24th January 2007
Lives for gear

Do those "weird" Neve screws belong to the same thread family?
Old 25th January 2007
Gear Nut

Hey,

You might wanna try Maryland Metrics. They seem to be the fastenal of metric stuff. I haven't personally used them but they might have it. The website is bad so you might want to email them.

Dave
Old 26th January 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kulka View Post
Do those "weird" Neve screws belong to the same thread family?
I may be wrong but I thought Neve stuff was metric. Most of my experience is with classic 80 series stuff and I know that is metric.
Old 26th January 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsoukup View Post
Hey,

You might wanna try Maryland Metrics. They seem to be the fastenal of metric stuff. I haven't personally used them but they might have it. The website is bad so you might want to email them.

Dave

Great resource thank you, As far as I can tell by the site they don't carry BA screws but it is definitely worth the call.

Thanks again,

Steve
Old 26th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by primalsteve View Post
I may be wrong but I thought Neve stuff was metric. Most of my experience is with classic 80 series stuff and I know that is metric.
I don't think they're metric. Here's a typical Neve module and a "cheese head" screw that came out of it. It's too big for a 2.6 MM nut, but too small for a 3 MM. So is it BA?
Attached Thumbnails
SSL 4000E Channel Screws-100_0825.jpg  
Old 27th January 2007
Gear Maniac

Most early British electrical/electronic equipment uses the B.A. ("British Association") thread system.
The screws are based on the metric sytem, but are not exact metric sizes, except for 0B.A., which is interchangeable with 6 mm.

The cover screws on your Neve module are 6B.A.

The B.A. series uses a "reverse" numbering system, where the size number increases as the diameter decreases, i.e. 6B.A. is smaller than 4B.A.
The largest B.A, size is zero, which is about 1/4 inch diameter, and get progressively smaller.
The most common sizes you are likely to find in electronic assemblies are 2, 4 and 6B.A., with 8B.A. being found occasionally in very small assemblies.
0B.A. is commonly used for securing equipment into 19 inch rack units.
Industry in the UK started to adopt the metric system in the late 70's, but the electronics business continued to use B.A. after this date, mainly to avoid re-engineering existing designs.
More recent designs are exclusively metric.
It's just as much a p.i.t.a. for us in the UK, except it's easier for us to obtain B.A. screws.

I service a lot of EMI "TG" equipment, which uses some UNC fasteners, and it's as difficult to find those in the UK as it is to find B.A. in the US, so I guess it works both ways!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search