The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Replacing socketed op amps
Old 17th January 2007
Lives for gear

Replacing socketed op amps

Hello all,
I apologize in advance for the noobish question, but I wanted to be certain before trying something I would regret later. So how do you physically remove a socketed op amp from a circuit board?
I have a Rane MS1 I would like to replace the op amp on. It looks as simple as pulling it out with a pair of pliers, but like I said, I wanted to be sure before doing anything. Any special tricks I should know about, or anything I should be aware of?
Thanks a bunch, y'all are awesome!

-Mike
Old 17th January 2007
Lives for gear

Needle nose pliers can work if you have the right touch, but might damage the old part. Maybe you don't care?

Don't just pull it out with your fingers. You'd probably bend the pins, and might draw blood.

You can use a small screwdriver...use it to pry up one end of the IC 2 or 3 millimeters, then do the same on the other end. Rinse and repeat until the chip just slips out.

Or buy an inexpensive IC puller...it's like a tweezer with bent tips...and use it to pull and gently rock the chip out of the socket.
Old 17th January 2007
Gear Nut

Also note which way the IC is situated so you don't accidently put the new one in backwards. And make sure the power is off.
Old 17th January 2007
Gear Addict

Also make sure that the Replacement (if of another type) is a Pin for Pin compatible Replacement......

be sure you read the data sheets for both types to be sure....
Old 17th January 2007
Gear Maniac

The Rane MS1 or MS1b? Is that socketed?

If it's the "b," what are you going to replace those BB ICs with, if you don't mind me being nosey?
Old 17th January 2007
Lives for gear

Awesome guys, thanks for all the advice. That helps a lot!
goobersezhey, it is the Rane ms1 (not ms1b) and I am replacing the Analog devices chip in the ms1 with the burr-brown chip from the ms1b as suggested in this thread:
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/showt...ight=rane+ms1b

Thanks again!
-Mike
Old 18th January 2007
Gear Addict

If you can get the "THAT 1510" it is supposedly a much better performing chip, They can be hard to find and they only became available a couple months ago but all reports that I have heard over at Prodigy Pro indicate that it is a Better chip.....

Just a Thought...
Old 18th January 2007
Gear Maniac

Is the 1510 better than the stock MS1b chip?

Where's a Jim Williams when you need one?
Old 18th January 2007
Gear Addict

Yes...I believe the THAT 1510 is a Better chip than the INA163 but they are not replacements for each other...The THAT 1510 is a 8 Pin IC like the INA217 and the INA163 is a 14 Pin IC also I think the new INA163 chips only come in SO-14....
Old 24th February 2007
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minion View Post
If you can get the "THAT 1510" it is supposedly a much better performing chip, They can be hard to find and they only became available a couple months ago but all reports that I have heard over at Prodigy Pro indicate that it is a Better chip.....

Just a Thought...
FYI, in case you were still wondering...

THAT Corp does have Distribution through Mouser Electronics now, and you should be able to get the parts from them.
Old 2nd April 2007
Gear Maniac

Oopsie. I didn't see you respond, Jim.

The stock IC on the MS1b is an INA163.

Do you know if it's socketed or surface mount on the 1b?

I have the MS1b, but haven't opened it up.

Happy with it as-is, but just wondering.

Goob.
Old 2nd April 2007
Gear Maniac

Specifically, from your remarks, I guess I would maybe be
entertaining switching out the INA163 with the SSM2019.

You know... if it's SMT... and a moron like me could do it.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search