The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
spectrum analyzer for Near-Field Monitors .
Old 16th January 2007
Gear Maniac

spectrum analyzer for Near-Field Monitors .

Is it Possible to wire in and attach a LCD spectrum analyzer To a pair of Near-field monitors and install a switch to analyze input as well as the output ?
Old 16th January 2007
We put a man on the moon, didn't we? (Some still debate THAT!)

Off the power amp is a waste, pull the signal off the control room line outputs. Power amp levels will probably fry your analyzer inputs.

For the speakers, get a hold of a good measurement microphone like B+K, or Earthworks if you are on a budget. Feed this signal into a mic pre with wide bandwidth and then feed the input of the analyzer.

Notice how the console reflections cut a hole at 100~120 hz. Notice how if you move the mic 2 inches the whole plot changes. Notice how the stereo speakers phase cancel and give comb filtered playback responses unless you measure one at a time. Notice how this won't tell or solve anything except a mild time diversion.

Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades
Old 16th January 2007

Go easy on the kid, Jim.....

...at least he's interested enough to try measuring some things. We can educate him over time.

-tINY

Old 16th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tINY View Post

Go easy on the kid, Jim.....

...at least he's interested enough to try measuring some things. We can educate him over time.

-tINY

Old 16th January 2007
Gear Maniac

(smile)
Old 16th January 2007
Here for the gear

Jest get yourself a second-hand Behringer 8024. (Make sure the LCD display is functioning.)

Only use it as an RTA, ignore the signal processing path. It can do exactly what you want, using front panel menu choices. Even has a mic input with phantom, built-in signal generator, etc. Very easy, pretty flexible, cheap.

-k

http://kkantor.spaces.live.com
Old 17th January 2007
Lives for gear

but the display is so damn small you'll need a telescope to see what's going on. This alone would drive the price of the unit over a reasonable Klark thingy heh

Jo
Old 17th January 2007
Gear Maniac

It sure would have been nice to see if the audio that's going in the monitors the same as what's going out .
Old 17th January 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Top40Music View Post
It sure would have been nice to see if the audio that's going in the monitors the same as what's going out .
You might not like what you see. A complete test of an NS10 will show so many errors you will end up wondering how you ever got a working mix through them. I recommend an additional set of monitors for the gut check, augmented by a pair of very good headphones. This way, anomolies presented by the NS10's can be compared and caught before blind mixing mistakes are cut to the 2 track mix.

Seeing the errors produced by the NS10's won't help you in correcting them unless you have a very good understanding of the test results and how to interpet them. Correcting a mix so only the NS10 sounds good may create other problems when heard on other systems.

Hearing the errors or the difference is a better way of catching mixing mistakes.

Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades
Old 17th January 2007
Gear Maniac

Great Info My Friend . Thanks
Old 18th January 2007
Lives for gear

educate the guy Jim educate him

Jo
Old 18th January 2007

You might want to find Ethan Winer's site. Lots of good info there.

If you have a computer and a DAW, you can make sine-sweep measurements with a decent omni mic.....

-tINY

Old 18th January 2007
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top40Music View Post

There's a limit to what an RTA, or any particular piece of gear, can tell you about your speakers are doing. Still, it can be very a valuable tool, particularly in the bass region.

http://kkantor.spaces.live.com
Old 18th January 2007
Gear Maniac

I just wanted to see for example if the kick drum or 808 info I'm sending to the monitors are receiving and - or producing the same info . Thanks .
Old 18th January 2007
Gear Maniac

I love you Guy . Because If it wasn't for the love of what you do we wouldn't have the gear where enjoying . Thanks . Well it sure would be Nice to someday be able to look at some Monitors that has a 5" by 3" LCD attached to it analyzing audio that's entering and with a push of a button would allow you to see the output of that audio Hmmmm Someday .
Old 3rd January 2008
Gear Maniac

spectrum analyzing Near-Field Monitors

Are we there yet with the JBL's Near-Field Monitors ?
Old 4th January 2008

I don't see much practical use for a running spectrum analyzer on your studio monitors. It looks neat and gives you an idea of what is going on with multiband compression and such...

But out ears and heads are pretty adapable and we here the relative energy across the spectrum. Good thing, too, because even good rooms don't look so good on a response plot....

-tINY

Old 4th January 2008
Gear Maniac

That's it tINY," It looks neat and gives you an idea of what is going on with multiband compression and such... "
I think that'll be Great to be able to see that what you putting in is getting to and out the Near-Field's
Old 4th January 2008
Lives for gear

Phonic PAA2 or 3 - I have one for live system setup and it helps with setting subwoofer levels and such.You can use the mic or line ins, too:

http://tinyurl.com/3x8wms

L
Old 4th January 2008
Lives for gear

Even though I love visualization, I do think you should run sweeps...and analyze them with your BRAIN.
Old 5th January 2008
Gear Maniac

PAA3 on powered Near-fields

Hey when would we see something like a 31-band real-time spectrum analysis build in to monitors . Like a PAA3 on powered Near-fields ?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search