The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Modding UA 1176 to Blue Stripe Specs
Old 14th January 2007
Modding UA 1176 to Blue Stripe Specs

Would it be possible to mod a new UA 1176LN to old Blue Stripe specs? I know that the newer xfrm and all that would change the overall tone, but I'm talking more about capturing overall compression character.
Old 14th January 2007
Lives for gear

I know a guy who does some really cool mods to 1176s. Don't know if he can change it into a bluestripe but... Try him. His name's Kevin Leonard 949-837-5241thumbsup
Old 14th January 2007
Thanks Tetness, I'll give him a call. Is there any speacial mods to ask about?
Old 14th January 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by msrecprod View Post
Would it be possible to mod a new UA 1176LN to old Blue Stripe specs? I know that the newer xfrm and all that would change the overall tone, but I'm talking more about capturing overall compression character.
No. It's a different circuit (three transistor instead of 5 transistor output stage) and different transformer.
If you have a hair up your end for a version B, pay for it. Or, get a re-issue and change all the resistors to carbon composition.

Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades
Old 14th January 2007
Jim, How would the Carbon resistors alter the compression and tone overall?
Old 15th January 2007
Quote:
Jim, How would the Carbon resistors alter the compression and tone overall?
First off, I got this wrong, the author asked about the re-issue which is the 3 transistor circuit. The originals used carbon composition resistors like much of the gear of the time including Fender amps. These resistors have a slightly euphonic quality and add some "aural excitement" to the sound, they zip up the tops a bit. The re-issues use carbon films from Taiwan. They will not affect the side chain circuits so don't bother with those.

Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades
Old 16th January 2007
Lives for gear

There's a lot of 1176 blue stripe mania in the air these days. In my opinion it's wrong headed and though I can't prove it, I think Bill Putnam and Brad Plunkett, who labored to make the 1176 design better and better over the years, would agree.

1176's are rarer, but not better, than the LN's that followed them.

I believe that modifying an 1176LN to "B" revision circuitry will degrade the sound and lower the value of the unit. By undoing the low noise (LN) improvements, the signal/noise ratio will be audibly worse, with little or nothing sonically on the plus side to make up for it.

Sorry to rain on everybody's parade - my 2 picofarads.
Old 16th January 2007
Lives for gear

I have a bluestripe rev b with the LN mod factory installed and a bluestripe rev AB. Both sound incredible. I would sell my rev B before my rev AB. I don't mind the noise. The sound can't be beat.
Old 16th January 2007
So overall it sounds like without major modifications, The new UA 1176LN would have a hard time making a convincing Blue Stripe. So what about making a new 1176LN better sounding? Any ideas?
Old 16th January 2007
Lives for gear

Read my first post. Kevin does some sweet mods.
Old 16th January 2007
Quote:
So overall it sounds like without major modifications, The new UA 1176LN would have a hard time making a convincing Blue Stripe. So what about making a new 1176LN better sounding? Any ideas?
Depends on what you call "better"

I like a quiet, clear unit. I use NOS Motorola MPSA18's for the 5117's. I use large value Panasonic FM series coupling caps and bypass with high voltage polypropylene film caps like MIT MultiCaps. I like 4700uf or larger mains filter caps. I like 220 or 470 uf local psu filter caps. G versions get the resistor arrays removed and replaced with matched Dale RN55 military resistors. I replace the 5532 opamp with a LM6172IN and add phase compensation and HF psu bypass caps for stability.

Better to me, anyway.

Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades
Old 16th January 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetness View Post
I know a guy who does some really cool mods to 1176s. Don't know if he can change it into a bluestripe but... Try him. His name's Kevin Leonard 949-837-5241thumbsup
I tried calling and a guy named Kevin answered the phone but it was NOT Kevin Leonard. Do you have an updated phone number?

Thanks!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search