The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
RolAnd XP-80 No Sound
Old 19th July 2015
Gear Maniac

RolAnd XP-80 No Sound

Hey Gang
Has anybody else had this problem? I am getting no sound from the main, direct, or headphone outs. I reinitalized the presets. I also midied it up to an external keyboard to rule out the key contact strips. Any help would be appreciated
Old 10th July 2016
Here for the gear
Ever fix your xp-80? I have a similar problem ....direct outs are dead!
Old 16th January 2018
Here for the gear

My XP-80 which has been played daily since 1999 just stopped making sound. No output to direct out mix out or headphone jack. Taking it to a Roland/Boss place in Phoenix, maybe there's hope.
Old 16th January 2018
Lives for gear

First step:
Roland XP-80 Service Manual:
http://www.synfo.nl/servicemanuals/R...VICE_NOTES.pdf

The wiring diagrams can relatively well be zoomed.

(I know it's easy to Google.)

HTH
Old 17th January 2018
Gear Nut
Check to see if you have PART receive and transmit set to real midi channels...
My XP50 loses these occasionally...no sound when that happens....
probably needs a new battery.
Old 4th December 2019
Here for the gear

Hi all...
This week I received my very own Roland XP80 (YEEEEEY ), in very good condition.
The head phone output works just fine. But soon I noticed that the "MIX" outputs work, but at a very low volume (Maybe that is normal for these outputs?).
The "DIRECT" outputs give no sound at all. Whatever I tried.... DEAD!
After searching YouTube I found this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19y6_QMpAqQ
Seems to be a common problem that the capacitors start leaking after all these years.
But when I started to fiddle around with the settings of the patches I found that every patch is routed either to "MIX", "EFX" or "DIR", being "MIX" as default.
When I switch it to "DIR" then the direct outputs produce sound (HUH?). Just like the mix outputs with lower volume, but they work. "Fun" that the head phones sound is gone then.
Is this a normal behavior? When I want to connect the synth to an amp or a mixer, should I connect over the "MIX" outputs?
And if so, is there no general setting to change the routing? Seems a lot of work to me if you have to change the setting in every single patch

Cheers!
Old 5th December 2019
Gear Nut
I wouldn't expect the patches routed to the direct outs to be present at the headphone jack. It is connected to the the "Mix" outs by default...If you select "DIR" then that sound will be present at the direct out that you selected, right?

If it was mine, I would do a "factory reset". That will map all patches to the "Mix" outputs as default. It will also set the volumes to 99/max. If someone has messed with the routing, I would ASSUME that other settings have been mucked with as well.

I would also encourage you to read the manual! You'll get a lot farther a lot sooner, instead of using GS for answers....It only hurts for a little while...
You may find that things like midi send and receive channels, patch volume,etc. may not be set/saved correctly. Do the factory reset first.
Old 6th December 2019
Here for the gear

Thanks, officer. I'll do that!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search