The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Akai S900 new screen pics included
Old 14th July 2015
Gear Nut

Lightbulb Akai S900 new screen pics included

This is a guide for replacing the screen in the Akai S900/950. The lcd screen was $8 it is a blue background with white script, 40x2 LCD Module from buydisplay in China. It's a fairly easy job, you need to open up the old girl, and extract the old display, clip the red and white wires leading from the converter. You won't need the converter so that can come right out like your appendix.
Now tricky bit is to de-solder the 14 pin plug from the old display, just take it easy and be patient.
There are 16 pins, pin 15 and 16 are for the 5 volts of power it needs. From the P401 clip, that is from the left hand side of the display, notice the bottom white wire, that MUST be soldered to pin 15, and the grey/white to pin 16. If you have a S900 you'll see what I mean. Whack it all back and your home. Screen picture does not do justice to how it looke in real life. Let me know if more details required.
Attached Thumbnails
Akai S900 new screen pics included-20150708_173218.jpg   Akai S900 new screen pics included-20150708_173116-1.jpg   Akai S900 new screen pics included-20150708_173859-1.jpg   Akai S900 new screen pics included-20150708_173921-1.jpg   Akai S900 new screen pics included-20150708_180641.jpg  

Akai S900 new screen pics included-p7090239-1.jpg   Akai S900 new screen pics included-display_40x2_lcd_module_character_datasheet_pdf_ks0066_white_on_blue.jpg   Akai S900 new screen pics included-p7090247.jpg  
Old 14th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaborg View Post
This is a guide for replacing the screen in the Akai S900/950. The lcd screen was $8 it is a blue background with white script, 40x2 LCD Module from buydisplay in China. It's a fairly easy job, you need to open up the old girl, and extract the old display, clip the red and white wires leading from the converter. You won't need the converter so that can come right out like your appendix.
Now tricky bit is to de-solder the 14 pin plug from the old display, just take it easy and be patient.
There are 16 pins, pin 15 and 16 are for the 5 volts of power it needs. From the P401 clip, that is from the left hand side of the display, notice the bottom white wire, that MUST be soldered to pin 15, and the grey/white to pin 16. If you have a S900 you'll see what I mean. Whack it all back and your home. Screen picture does not do justice to how it looke in real life. Let me know if more details required.
Thanks for your guide! Very helpful!

Is this the correct display? I think so. And hope so as I just ordered 1

Akai S900 new screen pics included3.3V Blue 40x2 4002 LCM Character LCD Display Module w/Tutorial,HD44780,Bezel | eBay
Old 15th February 2017
Gear Nut

It looks like the one!. One thing I'd do is try and source that 14 pin plug, as its a pain to de-solder, I was a bit rough but managed to get it off, other than that it should be a pleasant experience, just take your time, the screen is very good, better than the original set-up!
Old 20th July 2019
Here for the gear
New Screen??

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Difool View Post
Thanks for your guide! Very helpful!

Is this the correct display? I think so. And hope so as I just ordered 1

Akai S900 new screen pics included3.3V Blue 40x2 4002 LCM Character LCD Display Module w/Tutorial,HD44780,Bezel | eBay
Hi John
How did you make out with that display? Right one?
He mentioned having to desolder the pins on the old one...did that mean you had to solder the entire 14 pins on one side and the other 2 (15&16) on the other of the new display?
My current display is readable (also blue) but very dim. I was going to just get a little clip light to stick on top of the unit but bright blue "new" display looks very nice!
No more squinting - -

Last edited by MoodyStudios; 20th July 2019 at 02:56 AM.. Reason: Item correction
Old 15th August 2019
Lives for gear

I just received mine today... after putting it in I found that the screen is far too bright and only viewable from above. Even to see it I have to put the contrast knob full. I experimented with connecting a resistor across the contrast pot which made it better but I’ll have to go back to the drawing board I think. It is a 3.3v screen after all and we’re feeding it 5v.
Old 15th August 2019
Lives for gear

.... and doing a little more research there is a 5v version for sale here. Doh!
https://www.ebay.com/itm/5V-Blue-40x...item43c26c6e44

I might try adding a couple diodes to my 5v rail to reduce the voltage down closer to 3v in the mean time..

_EDIT:
Added 2 diodes to drop the voltage on pin 15 down, it's now measuring at 3.2v. Still very bright and no change. One of the pins- 11 I think, still measured around 5v. I think buying the right 5v display is in order...

Last edited by adhmzaiusz; 16th August 2019 at 12:16 AM.. Reason: update
Old 13th November 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoodyStudios View Post
Hi John
How did you make out with that display? Right one?
He mentioned having to desolder the pins on the old one...did that mean you had to solder the entire 14 pins on one side and the other 2 (15&16) on the other of the new display?
My current display is readable (also blue) but very dim. I was going to just get a little clip light to stick on top of the unit but bright blue "new" display looks very nice!
No more squinting - -
I haven't changed it but was going to now - but I see it apparently isn't the right one according to adhmzaiusz :(
Old 13th November 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by adhmzaiusz View Post
.... and doing a little more research there is a 5v version for sale here. Doh!

I might try adding a couple diodes to my 5v rail to reduce the voltage down closer to 3v in the mean time..

_EDIT:
Added 2 diodes to drop the voltage on pin 15 down, it's now measuring at 3.2v. Still very bright and no change. One of the pins- 11 I think, still measured around 5v. I think buying the right 5v display is in order...
Sorry if I linked to the wrong one Did you try the 5V?
Old 13th November 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Difool View Post
Sorry if I linked to the wrong one Did you try the 5V?
Yea the 5v works. I’ve ordered a few now, though pray you don’t get a bad one because buydisplay will run you in circles. Anyway, you’ll also need something for spacing the display, I found supergluing small plastic washers on the pcb holes worked for me. Washers whose hole is slightly smaller than the original mounting screw. There’s many ways of doing it but this way I didn’t have to bother aligning a nut on the other side of the screw.
Old 13th November 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by adhmzaiusz View Post
Yea the 5v works. I’ve ordered a few now, though pray you don’t get a bad one because buydisplay will run you in circles. Anyway, you’ll also need something for spacing the display, I found supergluing small plastic washers on the pcb holes worked for me. Washers whose hole is slightly smaller than the original mounting screw. There’s many ways of doing it but this way I didn’t have to bother aligning a nut on the other side of the screw.

Great! Will order a 5V. Thanks for your help!

Here is the correct link for those who need a new display:

Old 2nd December 2019
Lives for gear
Thanks for this one! Got screen replaced successfully.
Old 28th May 2020
Here for the gear
Thanks so much you guys for the trial and error. I believe you've saved me a ton of frustration. I'm kind of lucky my studio has been in renovation lockdown since last fall. It kept my screen replacement project on hold.
Any suggestions on the led color?
I don't know the suppliers linked here even have a color option. I really like the look of the bright blue on black; however if you buy a display on eBay (Where they have color option) is closer to $100 after tax & shipping.
Seems like buying a display at this link is by far the better deal.
Old 28th May 2020
Here for the gear
Now I'm bummed out. Apparently they don't ship to my location.
I find it strange that they won't ship to Vancouver.
I wonder if it's all of Canada?
...or at least let ME pay for shipping. Weird.
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear