The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Dis-assemble UM70 capsule?
Old 27th May 2015
Dis-assemble UM70 capsule?

Anyone know how to take apart a UM70 capsule? I just want to get he head basket off and straighten the capsule which is slightly off center.

No obvious bolts to dis-assemble! I have the black vintage UM70:

Thanks!

- Jim
Attached Thumbnails
Dis-assemble UM70 capsule?-image_8793_0.jpg  

Last edited by superjimmer; 27th May 2015 at 08:37 PM..
Old 27th May 2015
Lives for gear

The black plastic thumb-ring has one or two black plastic pegs in it. If you take them out then the thumb ring comes off and you can start to see normal screws / bolts / etc. There are 3 screws IIRC.

I took the plastic peg (or pegs, I can't recall if it is 1 or 2) with very fine screws - self-tapped them slightly into the pegs and then pulled on the screw heads with pliers. This left very little residual marking. The pegs already had a little dimple in the middle.

Maybe Gefell have a special tool for this, or maybe they do something similar and replace the pegs with new, unmarked ones each time they service.
Old 27th May 2015
Lives for gear

Marik's response near the end of this thread may help you out:
Removing the grill on a Gefell UM70
Old 27th May 2015
Lives for gear

The pegs are just a tight fit. They run horizontally. The thumb ring comes off downwards. You have to align things properly to replace the thumbwheel and pegs afterwards.
Old 27th May 2015
Thanks Guys!!! Sorry I missed that other thread. You're super helpful.
Old 30th July 2020
Gear Head
UM70 rattling noise....

Now I have the same problem. A rattling noise in the head basket of a UM70 I just received. It's all metal btw. And those little plug things pple talk about are also metal, with no discernible way to remove them.

Any updates on this issue?
Old 30th July 2020
Lives for gear

Maybe contact Siegfried Thiersch, and ask politely for some advice. https://www.thiersch-mic.de/stm_kontakt.php I've dealt with Thiersch over many years now, including for two of my UM70, and they've always been helpful to me.
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear