The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Slate FG-RED vs Focusrite Red 3 vs Hardware
Old 25th January 2015
Lives for gear

Exclamation Slate FG-RED vs Focusrite Red 3 vs Hardware

Hello, everyone! with the launch of the new Focusrite plugin, I decided to do a little comparison between him, the FG-RED and Hardware. Some observations:

1 - The test was done using a small piece of music that Steven Slate posted here.

2 - I could not make the Focusrite Red 3 was canceled when inverted the phase and compared with the other two.

3 - The test contains five files in WAV format 96/32:
* Dry
* FG-RED
* Hardware
* Focusrite Red 3 plugin - setting 1
* Focusrite Red 3 plugin - setting 2

I hope you enjoy. What do you think sounds closer to the hardware?

Cheers!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hrj3tq4cju...dware.rar?dl=0
Old 25th January 2015
Lives for gear
slate it more close to the hw from this test a bit more body and weight
Old 25th January 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by lacnadon View Post
slate it more close to the hw from this test a bit more body and weight
Maybe, but overall character is different than Focusrite HW and plugin. I am also not sure if the settings on focusrite plugin is same as on HW and Slate. It sounds more compressed to me.
Old 25th January 2015
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by icecubeman View Post
Maybe, but overall character is different than Focusrite HW and plugin. I am also not sure if the settings on focusrite plugin is same as on HW and Slate. It sounds more compressed to me.
Its always the same with software its sounds very compressed it doesn't sound as natural. I remember one a guy in Kvr did comparision with Slate and two old Drawmers and it was very similar scenario very vanilla curve!
But still the Slate guys got it well for software regarding what it costs it does the job!
Btw in blind test they all sounds very close but to me its great to use them in many mixes and see how the mixes are translating.In my opinion analog translate much better.
Of course its all subjective and matter of opinions.
Old 25th January 2015
There is no question that HW sounds best.
Old 25th January 2015
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by icecubeman View Post
There is no question that HW sounds best.
Well in the eq's department reverbs delays i can live with Software it does great results but in the compression department i am still not happy and using very gently soft compression..
the Boz Digital Compex emulation suprised me hope they make more plugins like that.
Old 25th January 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by gilmanoel View Post
2 - I could not make the Focusrite Red 3 was canceled when inverted the phase and compared with the other two.
I don't understand this sentence. Anyone?
Old 25th January 2015
I just found this on my Focusrtie account and played with it for a little. I like what I hear from Comp and also Eq. Nice new colors for my productions.
Old 25th January 2015
I have all three and have to say I really like the sound of the new Focusrite Red 3 plug. I typically track running an Aphex tube pre into my hardware Red 3 with a low ratio just to get the vibe before it goes into my convertor/DAW. I've been running Slate's version on my mixbuss and might start using Foucusrite's plug or both. I appreciate folks taking the time to test all the plugs/hardware, but for me I just use whatever sounds good at the time.
Old 25th January 2015
Lives for gear

Hello, everyone! Thank you for listening. I found it very difficult to let the sound of the Focusrite Red 3 near the example of Slate and hardware, it always sounds more aggressive, perhaps they simulated a newer hardware model, while Steven an older one. I like the sound of the new plugin, but it seems to me that the FG-RED sounds closest to the hardware.

* Metrik, I meant that I did not get a good phase cancellation (null) when inverted the phase of the track with the plugin and compared with the hardware.
Old 27th January 2015
Lives for gear

The FG-Red definitely sounds closest to the HW here, hands down. The Focusrite ones are just not cutting it. The 2nd one sounds totally weird to me. The 1st one is a little better, but the transient is very wrong. They sound like different compressors really. The HW example to me has this cool, slightly more jangle in the mid range.
Old 18th June 2015
i don't have the older ones, but the new focusrite red (2 & 3) plugins sounds quite weird, instantly harshness, slow attack on the red 3 give you a super weird low-end pump even with very low gr and ratio settings... the same weirdness i hear in the samples... slate does a great job, flipping the phase you can hear the low end cancelation against the hardware more fluid, even with hardware having more mid range pronunciation.

thank you, gilmaoel!
Old 19th June 2015
Lives for gear
No offense, but any time I see these "shoot-outs" and the files are clearly labelled as to what is what, then I don't bother listening AND I know that people's opinions are not open-minded or unbiased. Try the same test with a different piece of audio (now that people have heard it with the plugins and hardware) and post links to files that are vaguely labelled (like A,B,an C). I dare you....I bet less than half of the listeners can tell what is what.
Old 12th August 2015
Lives for gear

Here's Avid D3 for those interested, did it by ear, could probably be perfected but at least I think it gives an idea
A.
Attached Files

Avid-D3.wav (9.49 MB, 8902 views)

Last edited by Andy_bt; 12th August 2015 at 07:55 PM..
Old 12th August 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy_bt View Post
Here's Avid D3 for those interested, did it by ear, could probably be perfected but at least I think it gives an idea
A.
Thanks for posting Andrew
Old 6th January 2017
Here for the gear

The FG Red is on everything I mix. I love it. The tip I got about using it for saturation with no GR has proven to be gold.
Old 12th September 2017
I did my own tests and the HW won easily. FF Red3plug 2nd, Slate 3rd. All useable. HW had depth that neither plug could do.
Old 22nd October 2018
Here for the gear

You can check this!
Focusrite RED Compressor Hardware vs Slate FG-RED vs Avid focusrite d2
YouTube
Old 13th February 2019
Here for the gear

I’m not interested in whether it sounds exactly like the hardware, I just know that FG-Red is an excellent plugin. The key, though, is not using the drive knob. They should relabel it the “make worse” knob.
Top Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search