The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
BAX EQ-DANGEROUS vs UAD BAX EQ(audio ex.)
Old 26th February 2014
Gear Maniac

BAX EQ-DANGEROUS vs UAD BAX EQ(audio ex.)

Hi All here is the test- Bax Dangerous vs UAD Bax plugin.
The signal path is the same:
Pro Tools -Antelope Orion32 AD-Dangerous Bax Eq-Antelope Orion32 DA.
When the plugin working the hardware is bypass,
when the the plugin is bypass,the hardware is active.
You can deside how close they are.

30 CUT -84 +3 DB,-HIGH 7.1Khz +6DB, CUT 28K_UAD .wav (2.91 MB, 7274 views)

30 CUT -84 +3 DB,-HIGH 7.1Khz, +6DB, CUT 28K_hardware.wav (2.87 MB, 7264 views)

30 CUT -84 +6 DB-HIGH 7.1Khz +6DB CUT 28K UAD.wav (4.04 MB, 7112 views)

30 CUT -84 +6 DB-HIGH 7.1Khz +6DB CUT 28K hardware.wav (4.04 MB, 7097 views)

dry.wav (4.08 MB, 6749 views)

dry 2.wav (2.62 MB, 6621 views)

Old 26th February 2014
Gear Maniac

wow,
I cant tell the difference. Listening to them on equator d5s. Do you have the original dry file to compare them to?

Regardless,
Ive been playing around with this plugin since it came out. Im loving what it does so far. Seems to lift everything up, without coloring the sound.
Old 26th February 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by lopan View Post
wow,
I cant tell the difference. Listening to them on equator d5s. Do you have the original dry file to compare them to?

Regardless,
Ive been playing around with this plugin since it came out. Im loving what it does so far. Seems to lift everything up, without coloring the sound.
Yes, I have the dry files and will upload today late.
Old 27th February 2014
Lives for gear

Thanks
Listened to the electronic track and the HW (is it? ) sounds a bit more dry, tighter, the tone is closer to the dry file, isn't it?
they're close
A.
Old 27th February 2014
Gear Head

Excellent test,Thank you!

I hear a difference, hardware is, like often.. A bit more open / relaxed.. But it's not a big difference
Old 27th February 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by angel72bg View Post
Hi All here is the test- Bax Dangerous vs UAD Bax plugin.
The signal path is the same:
Pro Tools -Antelope Orion32 AD-Dangerous Bax Eq-Antelope Orion32 DA.
When the plugin working the hardware is bypass,
when the the plugin is bypass,the hardware is active.
Was the dry file run through your converter as well?
Old 27th February 2014
Lives for gear

angel are you saying you ran the plugin through your converters as well?
Old 27th February 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparqee View Post
Was the dry file run through your converter as well?
No, the only dry file dose not run through my converters,but the process files-
UAD plugin,and hardware are.
Old 27th February 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by TranscendingM View Post
angel are you saying you ran the plugin through your converters as well?
Yes, the only dry file dose not run through my converters,but the process files-
Old 27th February 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by angel72bg View Post
Yes, the only dry file dose not run through my converters,but the process files-
I see. Can I just say, I don't think that's the best idea. To me, if one is comparing to hardware, the idea of ITB tools is that it is comparable to OTB tools within its native domain; namely in the box! The purpose of the ITB tool is to work ITB, of course. And for better or for worse, we should see how they stand up to the totality of sound and the sonic of the hardware counterpart and its variables which would include conversion.

Consider just a run through the plugin without conversion.
Old 27th February 2014
Lives for gear
running stuff out and back in even with nothing in the path almost always sounds better to me
Old 27th February 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by TranscendingM View Post
I see. Can I just say, I don't think that's the best idea. To me, if one is comparing to hardware, the idea of ITB tools is that it is comparable to OTB tools within its native domain; namely in the box! The purpose of the ITB tool is to work ITB, of course. And for better or for worse, we should see how they stand up to the totality of sound and the sonic of the hardware counterpart and its variables which would include conversion.

Consider just a run through the plugin without conversion.
Ok,I will do it for you-only in the box UAD BaxEq plugin(no conversion)
Old 27th February 2014
Lives for gear

The reason I asked about the dry version was that I was interested in doing a comparison with the Bootsy Bax EQ but since the dry version hasn't gone through your converter it wouldn't be a level playing field for me to process the dry wav and compare it to your hardware or your UAD version.

Doing stuff like this is always such a can of worms. <shrug>
Old 27th February 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparqee View Post
The reason I asked about the dry version was that I was interested in doing a comparison with the Bootsy Bax EQ but since the dry version hasn't gone through your converter it wouldn't be a level playing field for me to process the dry wav and compare it to your hardware or your UAD version.

Doing stuff like this is always such a can of worms. <shrug>
No chance,I did test long time ago when I bought the Dangerous BaxEq hardware vs Bootsy Bax EQ.I think the software was only 30-50% even less, close to hardware.Realy.
Old 27th February 2014
Lives for gear

well im was really surprised how good the uad bax is. i could hear a loudness difference between the first files, so i turned the uad version 0.05 db down that they were even. i thought i could hear differences, but in the daw i made a blindtest and couldnt tell which was which. i listened on focal solo. thank you very much for this test !!!
Old 19th March 2014
Gear Nut

It could be nice to have a test with a file with more sub/wide sound
Thanks for the test
Old 25th August 2019
Here for the gear
Old thread, new comment; I have the UAD Dangerous BAX and like the M/S for mastering but usually have both set the same or it noticeably warps the image. Listening through Senn HD600's with UAD X8P 600 ohm headphone jacks...good enough to hear the difference...

After listening to the second set of files you A/B'd with the voice, key, drum combo, the hardware reveals a more 3D image, most notably in the 'air' reverb tails. Since I am trying to squeeze every last little bit out of the recordings, it's enough of a difference to get the hardware for a 'one up' during mastering...thanks for the A/B.
Old 26th August 2019
Lives for gear

Hi, thanks for the comparison!

I liked the hardware better in the first instance, and the software in the second.
The HW seems to have more beef - a bit more mid-lows and low end, but it does something unpleasant to the stereo image that's most evident in the second set of files, while the SW seems to be overall cleaner.

Out of curiosity I ran the dry files through an instance of Analog Obsession BXQ and I found that this one too has some desirable qualities, so to speak.
It's not my intention to hijack the thread, and it will only be useful to compare with the HW since your SW files were still ran through your converters, but I think they make for an interesting listen/comparison.
BXQ has different selectable frequencies, so the closest possible settings were used:
Low cut 30Hz // Low shelf 96Hz + 5dB // High shelf 7kHz + 5dB // High cut 28kHz
Attached Files

dry1_bax.wav (3.02 MB, 242 views)

dry2_bax.wav (1.94 MB, 227 views)

Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search