The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Shoot Out Accuracy
Old 19th October 2013
Gear Nut

Shoot Out Accuracy

Here's my take on why I think "some" of the shoot outs on mic's are not as accurate as I, a novice with zero experience at testing, would expect.

1. There are a number of "talking" tests which are good for those who want to use a mic for voice overs but doesn't give you enough to go on if you're going to use a mic for singing, acoustic guitar, etc.

2. The Phrasing, timing, and length of "Ssss's" seems to be all over the place on many recordings.

3. No one plays, sings, or speaks the same line exactly the same way twice.

OK so tell me I'm wrong, crazy, or just too picky but here's what I consider if I were to do a mic shoot out.

1. I'd rent one top of the line mic that is well received by most professional studios.
2. I'd have the same caliber amplifier and a single speaker on hand for playback.
3. I'd record a vocalist singing, and acoustic guitar, snare drum etc. into the above mentioned mic and record it.
4. I would use that recording to play through the high end amp and speaker which would be facing a mic stand.
5. I would place each of the mic's to be tested at the same height and distance from the playback speaker on an isolated mic stand/mount.

Yes, there will be "some" coloration from the original test mic, the recording, and playback system but ALL of the mics tested would be subject to the exact same playback which would be far more consistent than repeating a vocal or guitar performance 5, 10, 15 times and having each one slightly different.

OK so....good idea? Crazy? Been done didn't work?
Your thoughts?
Old 19th October 2013
A man once told me about a yacht, better than any other yacht, that he was going to build with his bare hands.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search