The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Avantone CV-12 Shootout/Comparison
Old 14th October 2013
Here for the gear

Avantone CV-12 Shootout/Comparison

Hey Guys, Ok so I did a mic comparison between three mics to hear what they sounded like on Acoustic Guitar. The mics where an SE Electronics X1, an Avantone CV-12 and a Shure Sm57. (All Cardioid)

These are all supposed to be excellent mics for their own price ranges and I though would be a very interesting shootout (or rather comparison, since they're all good mics).

The Mic's diaphragms where all aligned right next to each other, and aprox 2feet away from the guitar (Looking at the hole).

I'll list them as Audio 1,2 and 3. Let me know what you think and I'll post the answers soon.

_____
Chris
Attached Files

Audio 01 mp3.mp3 (4.39 MB, 3025 views)

Audio 02 mp3.mp3 (4.39 MB, 2778 views)

Audio 03 mp3.mp3 (4.39 MB, 2686 views)

Old 15th October 2013
Gear Addict

Well I wouldn't point a mic at the hole. #1 I say is the dynamic. The other two are boomy and similar so I'd say they are the condensers.
Old 15th October 2013
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zohomoho View Post
Well I wouldn't point a mic at the hole.
I agree with you 100%, to be actually honest, they were pointing at the 15th fret. I just mentioned "the hole" as a general direction since this setup was only for the comparison purpose and not for official recording material. Just to get an idea.

But great great guess on the mics!

_______
Chris
Old 15th October 2013
Gear Addict

I like #2 is that the cv12? With some eq it would sound good in a mix.
Old 15th October 2013
Here for the gear

#2 definitely sounds nice, but has a bit to much low end for me. #3 is closer to the type of eq I would use on acoustic.

Any more opinions??
Old 17th October 2013
Here for the gear

Oh well, #1 was the sm57 (obviously).
#2 the X1 and
#3 the cv12

the tracks I posted were all raw, no eq or dynamics.

a/b comparing them in my daw, I can clearly hear the cv12 has a better controlled dynamic range, and you can definitely hear the tube warmth in the sound (which I loved). Although the X1 for some reason sounded like it had better mid range clarity and more low end to it, but at the end would leave me with more eq'ing to do.

When I added my Uad-2 La-2a Legacy on both (separately) and then a/b'ing, they both sounded so great and "perfect" for use, I can't decide which one i like best. Yes, there is a small audible difference, but both still sounded perfect for use.

So that leaves me wondering.. Was the cv12 really worth it? (And I think I already have my answer). Although this was only one test on an acoustic, the X1 holds up pretty well and I would definitely need to try them on vocals, because i think that's where the cv12 will shine. Then I think I would be able to make a final judgment..
Old 17th October 2013
Gear Addict

Ha, I have a cv12. I should have known better. It's fun experimenting with different tubes.
Old 1st December 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristiaanBez View Post
Hey Guys, Ok so I did a mic comparison between three mics to hear what they sounded like on Acoustic Guitar. The mics where an SE Electronics X1, an Avantone CV-12 and a Shure Sm57. (All Cardioid)

These are all supposed to be excellent mics for their own price ranges and I though would be a very interesting shootout (or rather comparison, since they're all good mics).

The Mic's diaphragms where all aligned right next to each other, and aprox 2feet away from the guitar (Looking at the hole).

I'll list them as Audio 1,2 and 3. Let me know what you think and I'll post the answers soon.

_____
Chris
Thanks for the shootout
Old 12th December 2013
Lives for gear

I picked #3 prior to reading your post. Thought it sounded the best and I could work with it in a mix. 1 had a narrow midrange thing happening which could be mixed around but #3 had some magic. #2 had too much proximity effect and boominess and you would probably end up with a hi pass on it.

Anything that gets you closer to the sound before mixing, is a good thing in my mind. That would make the CV12 worth the investment. This holds true for any recording device or gear. The reason you pay more money for gear is the mixing time reduction factor.
Old 12th December 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zohomoho View Post
Well I wouldn't point a mic at the hole. #1 I say is the dynamic. The other two are boomy and similar so I'd say they are the condensers.
Very true but still gives me a decent idea. About 8-12 fret, Angled pointing torword the hole about a 1 ft to 1 1/2+ ft away.
Anyhow thank you
Old 13th December 2013
Here for the gear

I have now done many more recordings, both acoustic and vocals, and can without a doubt say the CV-12 blows the x1 away. The sound is just incredible every time. The X1 still gives professional results that can be used anywhere, but it leaves me with more work to do. The CV12 leaves me minor eq if even necessary sometimes.

I must say i really wonder how 2 of them would compare to 2 X1s on drum overheads.....
Old 14th December 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristiaanBez View Post
I have now done many more recordings, both acoustic and vocals, and can without a doubt say the CV-12 blows the x1 away. The sound is just incredible every time. The X1 still gives professional results that can be used anywhere, but it leaves me with more work to do. The CV12 leaves me minor eq if even necessary sometimes.

I must say i really wonder how 2 of them would compare to 2 X1s on drum overheads.....
Wonder how the Se 2200mkll would compare. I dig my 2200's
Old 14th December 2013
Lives for gear

Would be awesome to compare to a AA Mics C12 or another reputable clone company.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search