The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Empirical Labs Mike E, vs Great River vs Warm Audio Tone Beast Single-Channel Preamps
Old 3rd September 2013
Gear Addict
Empirical Labs Mike E, vs Great River vs Warm Audio Tone Beast

Hey I know some people around the forums have been trying to get clips of the Great River, Mike E, and the new Tone Beast. For the first time I was able to get my wife to record small snippets. We did this in about an hour today, so be nice !!! This post is just to give you all a listen to the pres with the different settings. I will give you all the settings below and tell you which is which soon. The chain is a Blue Kiwi going into (Preamp) into an Echo Audiofire 12. Processing is a splash of TubeTech CLB and Valhalla Room. Just for fun, I threw the blue berry on two samples also.

Settings are not a match of the sample letter, they are not revealed:
Mike E, gain 50, compsat drive 8, ratio 4:1, attack 100ms, release .25, mix 8.5, output 8
Great River, gain 40, output +10, impedance on
Great River, gain 55, output -3, impedance on
Tone Beast x18, nickel, clean capacitors, gain 59, saturation 75%
Tone Beast x731, steel,vintage capacitors, gain 59, saturation 100%
Great River, gain 55, output +5, impedance on
Tone Beast, nickel, clean capacitors, gain 59, saturation 75%

Results

C-Mike E, gain 50, compsat drive 8, ratio 4:1, attack 100ms, release .25, mix 8.5, output 8
E-Great River, gain 40, output +10, impedance on
D-Great River, gain 55, output -3, impedance on
A-Tone Beast x18, nickel, clean capacitors, gain 59, saturation 75%
B-Tone Beast x731, steel,vintage capacitors, gain 59, saturation 100%
G-Great River, gain 55, output +5, impedance on
F-Tone Beast, nickel, clean capacitors, gain 59, saturation 75%
Attached Files

A.wav (9.53 MB, 5658 views)

B.wav (9.53 MB, 5296 views)

C.wav (9.53 MB, 5256 views)

D.wav (9.53 MB, 4661 views)

E.wav (9.53 MB, 4780 views)

F.wav (9.53 MB, 4530 views)

G.wav (9.53 MB, 4305 views)

Old 3rd September 2013
C sounded the best.
Old 3rd September 2013
Lives for gear

Great Riv wins....all examples from the Great River are better than all the others IMO
Old 3rd September 2013
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanilla_Dutches View Post
Great Riv wins....all examples from the Great River are better than all the others IMO
Everything is mixed up, the letters dont correspond with orders of settings
Old 3rd September 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBE View Post
Everything is mixed up, the letters dont correspond with orders of settings
Ahhh my bad...

E, B and C in that order!
Old 4th September 2013
Lives for gear

I haven't used the GR with the Kiwi but im pretty sure you want the impedance pushed 'out' in the off position (1200ohm). When pushed 'in' it distorts easily and decreases the headroom with most if not all condenser microphones ive used it with.

Did you mean the loading button?

And using the Mike-E with the compressor section isnt really a fair comparison. If you set the ratio to 1:1 and just use the saturation that would be a better fit. Also the B sample is completely dry and the others have reverb so i cant compare it.

With all that said, C has the most weight and presence.
Old 4th September 2013
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Fak View Post
I haven't used the GR with the Kiwi but im pretty sure you want the impedance pushed 'out' in the off position (1200ohm). When pushed 'in' it distorts easily and decreases the headroom with most if not all condenser microphones ive used it with.

Did you mean the loading button?

And using the Mike-E with the compressor section isnt really a fair comparison. If you set the ratio to 1:1 and just use the saturation that would be a better fit. Also the B sample is completely dry and the others have reverb so i cant compare it.

With all that said, C has the most weight and presence.
I will check but they all should have been bussed to reverb and compression. As far as the Mike E, I wanted to use the processors just to get a different sound than the pres but you are correct.
Old 4th September 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBE View Post
I will check but they all should have been bussed to reverb and compression. As far as the Mike E, I wanted to use the processors just to get a different sound than the pres but you are correct.
Oh ok gotcha. Thanks for taking the time to post the clips.
Old 4th September 2013
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Fak View Post
Oh ok gotcha. Thanks for taking the time to post the clips.
Old 9th September 2013
Gear Addict
Results

C-Mike E, gain 50, compsat drive 8, ratio 4:1, attack 100ms, release .25, mix 8.5, output 8
E-Great River, gain 40, output +10, impedance on
D-Great River, gain 55, output -3, impedance on
A-Tone Beast x18, nickel, clean capacitors, gain 59, saturation 75%
B-Tone Beast x731, steel,vintage capacitors, gain 59, saturation 100%
G-Great River, gain 55, output +5, impedance on
F-Tone Beast, nickel, clean capacitors, gain 59, saturation 75%
Old 21st February 2014
Old thread:

Clip B doesn't seem to have any reverb like the other clips. And clip F had more reverb than the others. No offense and I appreciate the time and thought, but this makes it hard or really impossible to judge - All clips at minimum need to have the same processing. Within this test I would choose the TB based on the both the clean and warm sounds being very good. More distinct flavors.
Old 28th January 2015
Gear nut

B and E sound very close (IMHO)

A and D a bit different. D a bit clearer to me but still both very workable pres.

C-Mike E sounds best but did you use it's compression and saturation?

Also the singer could be an inch or so off so who knows eh? Like more volume in one performance over another etc.

Also the Tone Beast can be tweaked a lot! You can also swap out Opamps and get "Your Sound" etc.

Plus if you drop these files in your daw and add some eq, compression, saturation, could you tell a difference then?

Perhaps I'll test it out.

Blue Sky
Old 4th February 2015
SEA
Lives for gear

I know this is an old thread but why not do it right and just make some NEW demos using the Mike E DRY, Great River DRY and the TB12 DRY!

Let's just hear the pres ONLY (no mojo from the MIKE-E)

Thanks!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search