The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Song mixed through Midas Venice f32 and Burl Mothership
Old 15th May 2013
Gear Head

Song mixed through Midas Venice f32 and Burl Mothership

This is a 44.1kHz 24 bit song I mixed for a recent Gospel client. This song is playing through Burl Mothership 32 channel outs into Midas Venice f32 console with Manley Mini Massive, API 2500, Distressors on Master Bus Insert. One is tracked back through Burl inputs to ProTools, the other is the result of being tracked through 32 channels of Firewire from F32 to ProTools, then mixed down through the same chain back to Firewire from F32 to ProTools.

So hopefully this helps those who wants to hear exactly what tracking with the Midas F32 converters sound like. Of Course I prefer the Burl, but they do differ immensely in cost. You can be your own judge on whether this console is a good route for you to take.

https://soundcloud.com/haniel-trisna...ixed-down-with
Old 15th May 2013
Gear Head

Sounds the same lol. Cant hear the difference.
Old 15th May 2013
Lives for gear
there is a difference. The Burl almost feels a little pre processed. If that sound is flexible that can be a good thing. Thanks for your efforts.
Old 15th May 2013
Gear Head

If you listen in a front of full range studio monitors with sub or good car system, you'll hear the low octave that the Burl has is missing in the Midas. Midas is also more sizzly in the highs, which you may or may not like.

Reverb tails are more pronounced in the Burl also.

I have a 192 IO and Lynx Aurora also, if I'm not lazy I can run these through them for 2 more comparisons tomorrow.
Old 15th May 2013
Gear Maniac

The Burl sounds more clear and strong. Less stressed in the vocal and bass.
Nice
Old 15th May 2013
Lives for gear

The Burl def sounds bigger, fuller, more natural...
Old 15th May 2013
Gear Addict

I hate to say this, but it is not an 8K$ difference.
Old 15th May 2013
Gear Guru

well on my laptop speakers.......

thanks for sharing.
I'll check on my Barefoots later.
Old 16th May 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by htrisna View Post
This is a 44.1kHz 24 bit song I mixed for a recent Gospel client. This song is playing through Burl Mothership 32 channel outs into Midas Venice f32 console with Manley Mini Massive, API 2500, Distressors on Master Bus Insert. One is tracked back through Burl inputs to ProTools, the other is the result of being tracked through 32 channels of Firewire from F32 to ProTools, then mixed down through the same chain back to Firewire from F32 to ProTools.

So hopefully this helps those who wants to hear exactly what tracking with the Midas F32 converters sound like. Of Course I prefer the Burl, but they do differ immensely in cost. You can be your own judge on whether this console is a good route for you to take.

https://soundcloud.com/haniel-trisna...ixed-down-with

I am confused as to whats going on here... could you please explain again.

Was the song tracked on the F32? or the Burl, is the F32 mix going through and extra DA and AD conversion?

cheers

Wiz
Old 16th May 2013
Gear Head

Tracked through who knows what (Mix only project .. Most probably 003 since that's what the producer has). Mixdown stems through Burl to Midas analog console back in through Burl on the Burl version, The Midas file is the same path as the Burl file but in the Midas, it's 32 channel tracked via FW to a second ProTools machine Fw connected to the Midas, then all 32 channels sent back in to the Midas like a mixdown scenario back to that second ProTools machine via FW through Midas's LR.

I know the Midas version has double conversion but the idea is to pick out what the Midas adds to the sound since the original is through the same path.

So take the Burl version as baseline source, and the intent is for those who are thinking of getting the Venice for studio frontend to hear what it does to the sound.

I know this is not a pure scientific AB, but it can be useful for what it's worth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiz_Oz View Post
I am confused as to whats going on here... could you please explain again.

Was the song tracked on the F32? or the Burl, is the F32 mix going through and extra DA and AD conversion?

cheers

Wiz
Old 16th May 2013
Quote:
Tracked through who knows what (Mix only project .. Most probably 003 since that's what the producer has). Mixdown stems through Burl to Midas analog console back in through Burl on the Burl version, The Midas file is the same path as the Burl file but in the Midas, it's 32 channel tracked via FW to a second ProTools machine Fw connected to the Midas, then all 32 channels sent back in to the Midas like a mixdown scenario back to that second ProTools machine via FW through Midas's LR.

I know the Midas version has double conversion but the idea is to pick out what the Midas adds to the sound since the original is through the same path.

So take the Burl version as baseline source, and the intent is for those who are thinking of getting the Venice for studio frontend to hear what it does to the sound.

I know this is not a pure scientific AB, but it can be useful for what it's worth.
thanks for the explanation.

Wiz
Old 11th March 2014
Here for the gear

Wow, I wanted the Midas but

Wow, I wanted the Midas but after hearing both mixes, and
my mixes through my sound craft, I think I will keep my sound craft
mixer.
both mixes lack punch and warmth in my opinion.
if you have the stems I'd like to mix this song to see if my sound craft would do
a better job.
the Midas seemed promising for a minute.

I meant not to offend anyone.
Old 12th March 2014
Gear Head

No offense taken. The tracks I know for a fact were recorded with 003 at the producer's home studio, and is not a punchy kind of song. I can see why they do sound like you described, the raw tracks were hazy and lame to me too. I've mixed many songs since then on the console with much punchier results. I do like the board, although I don't use the firewire converters much due to my workflow.
Old 12th March 2014
Quote:
No offense taken. The tracks I know for a fact were recorded with 003 at the producer's home studio, and is not a punchy kind of song. I can see why they do sound like you described, the raw tracks were hazy and lame to me too. I've mixed many songs since then on the console with much punchier results. I do like the board, although I don't use the firewire converters much due to my workflow.
Can we here a better track?
Old 13th November 2014
Lives for gear

I know this has been a while but it is cool. The f32 cetianly doen't sound bad. The Burl one sounds more compressed. I wonder if it hit the 2500 harder? I think you did a fine mixing job and either of thee convertors can make a great mix.
Old 25th March 2015
Quote:

Hi Haniel, I know that it's an old thread, but I have a question. The 2bus processors in the master section were on the master insert? Because I think the firewire out from the master on the f32 it's before the inserts points. Can you confirm this? Pardon my english. Greetings from Argentina.

Last edited by PACHAMAMA; 25th March 2015 at 04:51 PM..
Old 25th March 2015
Gear Head

Hi Pachamama,

It's been awhile since I did this and what I ended up using is actuall the LR out to my patchbay to 2 trx of Burl Audio back into ProTools.

If you must use the firewire option then you can sacrifice channels 31-32 and send your LR back to those channels (take out the bus and master assignments in those of course) and send those to firewire.

That way it will record post your master bus processing. It's lame but I guess what can we expect for $2000 console.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PACHAMAMA View Post
Hi Haniel, I know that it's an old thread, but I have a question. The 2bus processors in the master section were on the master insert? Because I think the firewire out from the master on the f32 it's before the inserts points. Can you confirm this? Pardon my english. Greetings from Argentina.
Old 17th May 2019
Here for the gear
The master bus insert does not get recorded if you use the onboard interface, hence this test is invalid

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search