The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Beatles Shootout: Telefunken USA U48- M7 v.s. K47
Old 18th January 2013
Lives for gear

Beatles Shootout: Telefunken USA U48- M7 v.s. K47

So I had fun with this. I recorded a pretty "to a tee" version of The Beatles "I Call Your Name."

Well it's To a Tee other than my rough vocals I haven't sung in a few months. Used to be in the Beatles tribute business. So I pretty much know how to play all of those tunes and have all the gear too...

I have a Telefunken USA U48 that has a real vintage VF14 in it right now. One of these is the Thiersch PVC M7. The other is a brand new Neumann K49. (K47 but because it's figure 8 and not omni, a K49 is used)

Thanks to Charlie Bollis for the VF14 and K49!

Signal path for the vocal: U48-> Gates Tube Preamp (unknown model number) ->Vintage Gates Sta Level -> Lynx Aurora -> PTHD 10

For the guitars it is as follows:
Rickenbacker 360/12 C63 w/flatwound strings- 1964 Vox AC30 -> U48->Same path as vocal

Rickenbacker 325C58 w/flatwound strings- Same as previous

1964 Hofner Violin Bass 500/1- 1964 AC30 through a vintage Ampeg B15 cab- same path as previous.

1959 Ludwig Black Oyster Pearl super classic Ringo kit-
Overhead- Coles 4038-> Gates Tube Pre-> Gates Sta Level -> API 550B EQ (to boost highs)

Kick- D20-> Chandler Germanium Pre

Room-> U48 "same as previous U48 paths"

That's it. Excuse the bad singing!
Attached Files

I CALL YOUR NAME VOC SOLO B.mp3 (1.85 MB, 1453 views)

I CALL YOUR NAME VOC SOLO A.mp3 (1.85 MB, 1361 views)

I CALL YOUR NAME B.mp3 (4.04 MB, 1547 views)

I CALL YOUR NAME A.mp3 (4.04 MB, 1506 views)

Old 19th January 2013
Lives for gear

138 views and no one has an opinion?
Old 19th January 2013
Lives for gear

Talking

Based on what I've garnered over the years, I'd venture that the Solo B clip is the K47/K49 and the Solo A clip is the PVC M7.

Clip b is a bit rounder sounding but also has more low end while clip A sounds much more hifi but has less proximity effect yet also offers more "energy" in the upper mids.

In my experience with the Thiersch PVC M7s this is what I've always heard from them. Gorgeous overall sound, different in some ways from a K47 especially the bass but awesome in their own right. A bit more natural in the bass.

Solo Clip B is why I just like K47 capsules over M7s at times. They just offer more hurumph on voice. They may lack the articulated upper midrange of the PVC M7 but they still give you plenty of information to work with for top end.

It sounds like you switched the labels on the mixes though.

You've also mixed the vocals a bit differently between the 2.

In isolation much easier to take a guess but in the mixes I have no idea which is which due to the levels, reverb etc...

Peace
Illumination
Old 20th January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by illacov View Post
Based on what I've garnered over the years, I'd venture that the Solo B clip is the K47/K49 and the Solo A clip is the PVC M7.

Clip b is a bit rounder sounding but also has more low end while clip A sounds much more hifi but has less proximity effect yet also offers more "energy" in the upper mids.

In my experience with the Thiersch PVC M7s this is what I've always heard from them. Gorgeous overall sound, different in some ways from a K47 especially the bass but awesome in their own right. A bit more natural in the bass.

Solo Clip B is why I just like K47 capsules over M7s at times. They just offer more hurumph on voice. They may lack the articulated upper midrange of the PVC M7 but they still give you plenty of information to work with for top end.

It sounds like you switched the labels on the mixes though.

You've also mixed the vocals a bit differently between the 2.

In isolation much easier to take a guess but in the mixes I have no idea which is which due to the levels, reverb etc...

Peace
Illumination
They're not different. I double checked. A and B are matched in both. You can tell the hesitation in the first line in B. They were recorded within a few minutes of each other. Same settings on everything. Nothing changed but the capsule/head.

They were not mixed different either. Exact same level in both. One had some speaker bleed as i was trying to recreate how they did vocals at Abbey Road with The Beatles in 65. But other than that, nothing changed.
Old 22nd January 2013
Lives for gear

Well since no one is going to weigh in on this I'll go ahead and let the cat out of the bag.

A: K47
B: M7

Nope. A was the K47. B was the M7. The M7 is much more woofy and muddy in the lower mids. But it has a top around 12K or so that peaks whereas the K47 seems to have a cleaned up low end and a peak around 6-7K. I prefer A. I own the M7. But now thinking of replacing with the K47. K47 to me sounds more like what were used on Beatles records. It is kind of the "no bull****" capsule of the 48's and 47's. I will add that with the real VF14 compared to my glass tube made by Telefunken USA, the mic is MUCH quieter. And the highs are slightly clearer.
Old 23rd January 2013
I like the A better, which is kinda funny as I had few microphones with M7 capsule and they sounded very close to clip A. Oh well...
Old 28th January 2013
Hamburg this cover is very well done! Both capsules have their own things going on, like everything of course it just comes down to personal preference. Personally I love that drum sound, you nailed the Ringo vibe with some added clarity. Cheers!

-Ian
Old 22nd February 2013
Gear Head

I prefer B!
Same experience with my own mics, f.e. Gefell vs. Neumann.

Regards from Hamburg!
Old 16th January 2014
Lives for gear

Thanks for doing this shootout. I have always wanted to hear a K47 versus an M7 shootout, and somehow I never found this thread until now.

I guessed that A is the K47 and B is the Thiersch. A is more open on top, so I guessed it was the Neumman. This was a guess based on the fact that I have read from multiple sources that the Thiersch PVC M7 is a bit dark compared to a genuine Neumann capsule. Looks like those sources were right!
Old 19th March 2017
Lives for gear

Cool
Old 3rd October 2019
Here for the gear

I know this is an old thread, but is this an otherwise stock U48?

I'm planning a clone and have been going back and forth over what options.

I never use omni, other than occasionally in a room, but I have several mics that do that.

I often use fig 8 on a vocal. However, the experts all say the lower polarization voltage makes cardioid not as ideal/nice sounding on the U48 vs U47.

This demo makes me think I should just build a U48 with a K47 and call it a day.

M7 may sound muddier here due to the lower polarization voltage...

I have a cheaper U47 build now with a Maiku K47 clone that works great for my voice, but I want to invest in a high end clone body and "do it right" for my #1 vocal mic. Was thinking of splurging for a good M7 clone, but this makes me think I would miss the crispness I get - your K47/49 setup sounds similar to what I would expect from my current mic
Old 3rd October 2019
after 6 years I changed my mind and prefer the clip B
Old 5th October 2019
Lives for gear

I would take B more dynamic. But A def sounds like that classic sound that we’re used to on Beatles records as mentioned by the OP. Another reason why id choose B
Old 5th October 2019
Lives for gear

Kudos nice... the thread is revived! I like everything about this - I like both equally... but I can see if you had a different mix or recording in a dance hall - A ... would be better (the clarity) but the way you have it I like the B with it... gets the Beatle's lil growl nicely - there is enough space for it - an as an mp3, sounds damn food.
Old 5th October 2019
Lives for gear

Listening back the k47 sounds a lil better with the room
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search