The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Discrete Op-Amp shootout.
Old 9th February 2014
Lives for gear

if anyone is looking for an amazingly cheap and cool germanium 500 series pre (ive got 2 and theyre brilliant. They have a natural compression that just dont need eq- mostly) and the best opamps [email protected] - thats the man right there. He deserves all the attention an sales he gets
Old 1st March 2014
Lives for gear

with options 1-4 on my playback system I liked the SGA SOA's a bit more even though the red dots seemed brighter. Overall I liked the brick the best though. Thanks for taking the time to do this comparison.
Old 9th August 2019
Gear Maniac
Is it ok to use the Hardy 990 with the hair all audio elements series?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hairball Audio View Post
A little info on why you should use a low ratio input with a 990 from the man himself:

John Hardy on his selection for an input transformer - YouTube

I agree with Jeff that if your goal is to do an opamp "shootout" with a circuit using a high ratio input transformer, you're setting up the 990 at a disadvantage. One of it's key features is low input noise and it wants a lower impedance at it's input to achieve that.

You can use whatever you want and you may dig it, hate it, or not really care. But is the realm of a "shootout" I wouldn't compare a 2520's and 990's in the same circuit.

Mike
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search