The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Discrete Op-Amp shootout.
Old 28th May 2013
Lives for gear

drBill

Quote:
Do you have any clue who you are talking to? Just curious.
Myself? Actually, I was attempting to communicate with jsteiger whoever he may be. Why, is he God's chosen one?
Old 28th May 2013
Gear Nut

A little info on why you should use a low ratio input with a 990 from the man himself:

John Hardy on his selection for an input transformer - YouTube

I agree with Jeff that if your goal is to do an opamp "shootout" with a circuit using a high ratio input transformer, you're setting up the 990 at a disadvantage. One of it's key features is low input noise and it wants a lower impedance at it's input to achieve that.

You can use whatever you want and you may dig it, hate it, or not really care. But is the realm of a "shootout" I wouldn't compare a 2520's and 990's in the same circuit.

Mike
Old 28th May 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hairball Audio View Post
A little info on why you should use a low ratio input with a 990 from the man himself:

John Hardy on his selection for an input transformer - YouTube.....
Thanks for posting that link Hairball. I hope tpad can understand it.
Old 28th May 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
I agree with Jeff that if your goal is to do an opamp "shootout" with a circuit using a high ratio input transformer, you're setting up the 990 at a disadvantage.
Hairball, the OP said absolutely nothing about performing an opamp shootout with a high ratio input transformer. That's pure fiction! From what he actually did post, it appeared that he was using them in some sort of line level configuration with a bunch of guitar tracks a source material.

Furthermore, if I was designing a transformer coupled mic preamp, I wouldn't be using a 2520 or 990 in the input stage.
Old 28th May 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpad View Post
Actually, I thought it was getting more sad. You can't speak for yourself and need to have your buddies come to your "defense"? That's not very funny in my book.
Uuugh. Please do yourself a favour and back out of the discussion gracefully.
You clearly have no idea who you are 'lecturing'.
Old 28th May 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
You clearly have no idea who you are 'lecturing'.
Why don't you enlighten me? Last time I read the top level forum description, you weren't listed as one of the moderators. So, perhaps you shouldn't be advising other GS members as to what they should or shouldn't be doing.
Old 28th May 2013
Gear Nut

Hey tpad. Read the OP again. He used a VP26. Which is a API style preamp. Which also means Jeff's comment is totally relevant. Put a 990 into a VP26 and it won't perform as well.
Old 28th May 2013
Lives for gear

ONCE AGAIN, this is what the OP described:

Quote:
I also wanted to test how tracks stacked using different op-amps and preamps, so for each op-amp there are 5 tracks of guitar and 1 track of bass using only that op-amp, in the context of a full-mix.
Actually, the way he did the writeup, nobody can say with absolute certainty what he was trying to accomplish with the opamps.

What you can clearly see in the wrietup is that he did NOT put together any word combinations either stating or inferring that he was working with high turns ratio transformer inputs. That is obvious from simply reading OP's post.
Old 28th May 2013
Gear Nut

Umm..... That is the type of xformer the VP26 has. No need to say it.

Maybe you should try asking the OP about the setup. That will take the guessing out of this discussion.
Old 28th May 2013
Quote:
Why don't you enlighten me?
Have you designed and built a mic/pre, or series of mic/pre designs that are highly praised in the professional community?
Old 28th May 2013
Quote:

9. tpad doesn't back off and keeps replying to the shill commentaries. Shills ask tpad if he "knows who is he is talking to". I wonder if Jeff and his shill buddies know who THEY are talking to?
Enlighten us please.
My name is clear and on the record, as is Jeff's. You're tpad right? The name doesn't ring a bell.
I own 2 x CAPI VP28's. I paid full price. I think they are very nice. I don't think I owe Jeff or anyone else in the thread anything other than professional respect for a job well done.
Old 28th May 2013
snooze.

The real story is that I tried to resurrect this thread to find some op amp comparisons on specific sources like snare or kick. Then you came in and started some **** with people that know their ****. Now we don't care and another great thread on the interwebs is ruined.
Old 28th May 2013
Lives for gear

my favs are 2520 which is cleanest, the brick which was probably more suited for that metal track anyway and i like the bump that the rnp puts...thesev3 were all close ties.
Old 28th May 2013
Gear Guru

Quote:
4. Jeff sees my suggestion for the JE990C opamp and goes slightly "ballistic" because he sells the 2520 look alikes and doesn't like me suggesting the 990C as being a better opamp than those old school 2520s, because that might negatively impact his sales.
Actually, I think if the 990 worked well in the circuit, it would INCREASE interest and sales for Jeff. One more flavor in an already awesome lineup. What's wrong with that.

Answer? Nothing.

Except I trust Jeff's assertion that the 990 is not a good match. Listen, Jeff's vision for his line is very tight, and he doesn't normally design outside of his personal esthetic. Which is great, because it's an esthetic that rings so true with most of us. I'm sure a 990 would "work", but will it meet the general esthetic of CAPI preamps? Doubtful. Otherwise Jeff would be selling them.

As for your clusterfvck, you have no further to look than yourself. Everyone has given you reasonable answers. You are the one taking it outside....
Old 28th May 2013
Gear Nut

Tpad is just a troll probably. Nothing more to see here.
Old 28th May 2013
Lives for gear

Sorry guys, Tpad is the alias I use when I feel like coming on GS and talking about things I know nothing about and want to make my ego take over common sense and try and trash one of the few guys who knows almost EVERYTHING(!!!!!!) about this topic and many more.

I got you guys. haha

Note to the real Tpad:
Tpad, breathe deep and look up who Jeff is, who Hairball is, and few of the others in this thread who have been very kind in trying to correct you. Much can be learned from these guys.
Old 28th May 2013
Gear Guru

ignore time folks.
Old 28th May 2013
Gear Nut
Quote:
I wonder if Jeff and his shill buddies know who THEY are talking to?
It would appear that everyone is talking to the guy that single handedly dropped an H bomb on a discussion about OPAMPS.

I can only imagine what it must be like to work with you.
Old 28th May 2013
Gear Guru

So, considering the daftness over now.......Jeff, have you any opinion about the 99V opamps in your pres at all?

Reading this it occurs to me that perhaps they would not suit as well either for all I know. But then perhaps that is a question for Joe Malone instead. Just have this double 99V VP28 vision in my head for some reason.....
Old 31st May 2013
PRH
Gear Addict

@Karloff70

Joe (JLM) does a 2520 style opamp as well, which may be a better match for the higher ratio transformer.

If you are wanting to use 2 x 99V opamps, maybe have a look at Joe's Baby Animal Dual preamp which features 2 amp stages.
Old 31st May 2013
Lives for gear

Tpad thank you for the funny read on a ****ty day for me - I'm still laughing so can't be too bad. I would like to let those that have not heard of the Opamps being made by a guy in Sicily called pier Pablo - his company is app Ing studios - he does a range including a 2520 type but the most interesting is the app992 - mastering engineers are going nuts over them. If anyone's interested google him or I can pass on his details. His user name is ppa over at groupdiy
Old 31st May 2013
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRH View Post
@Karloff70

Joe (JLM) does a 2520 style opamp as well, which may be a better match for the higher ratio transformer.

If you are wanting to use 2 x 99V opamps, maybe have a look at Joe's Baby Animal Dual preamp which features 2 amp stages.
This is what I am trying to find out, but I suppose Joe is the man to ask whether his 99V would be happy in this type of circuit.
Old 31st May 2013
Lives for gear

I've spoken to joe at length about the 99v and its a mighty impressive achievement - it's at the heart of all his best designs - he calls it " neve on steroids" massive tight bottom end, constrained mids, compared to mid forward of the 2520 and sweet highs (sounds like a holiday I had once). It's meant to dominate a circuit - mucho powerful. Joes and pablo are making the best modern non 990 2520 Opamps in my opinion (even though they are pin compatible in a lot of cases). I don't believe it's suited to a 312 type circuit. It's current draw is 24v but he also makes a 16v version for his 500 series stuff. His dual 99v pre is trafo in and out and 2 99v"s so you can imagine how that sounds!
Old 31st May 2013
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogma View Post
I've spoken to joe at length about the 99v and its a mighty impressive achievement - it's at the heart of all his best designs - he calls it " neve on steroids" massive tight bottom end, constrained mids, compared to mid forward of the 2520 and sweet highs (sounds like a holiday I had once). It's meant to dominate a circuit - mucho powerful. Joes and pablo are making the best modern non 990 2520 Opamps in my opinion (even though they are pin compatible in a lot of cases). I don't believe it's suited to a 312 type circuit. It's current draw is 24v but he also makes a 16v version for his 500 series stuff. His dual 99v pre is trafo in and out and 2 99v"s so you can imagine how that sounds!
Are you certain it wouldn't work well in the API circuit? The sound you talk of is the reason I want to try it.
Old 1st June 2013
PRH
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogma View Post
I am about to build up 2 channels of Joe's dual opamp pre with the following differences: 1 - using JE990 (Hairball kits) for the first gain stage, JLM99V for second gain stage; 2 - at the insert point between the opamps, I am building in Joe's MAC opto compressor (switchable in / out); and 3 - Carnhill transformers at the inputs and outputs.

Should be a fun build, apart from the enclosure metal-work which I don't enjoy!

Paul
Old 1st June 2013
Lives for gear

Paul can you PM me please about this project as I might like to join you and we ca save on shipping an parts - cheers
Old 1st June 2013
Gear Guru

Joe says the 99V would be fine in an API circuit, as long as there is a cap behind it to take care of the dc offset. Off to mail Jeff to find out whether VP26/28 have that....
Old 20th November 2013
Lives for gear

This is an older thread, and it turned into a real dog's dinner, but I still wanted to put in my vote for the GAR 2520. I can see times when I would prefer the Red Dot, and also applications for the 1730, but for day in and day out I think the GAR 2520 sounds like the kind.

Thank you for putting up the test. I wouldn't have thought of doing something that musically intense, but it turns out to be very revealing of their characters.
Old 9th February 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 View Post
Joe says the 99V would be fine in an API circuit, as long as there is a cap behind it to take care of the dc offset. Off to mail Jeff to find out whether VP26/28 have that....
Hi Karloff, did it turn out that the 99v works in the VP26/28? Inquiring minds want to know if this is an additional option.
Old 9th February 2014
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by softwareguy View Post
Hi Karloff, did it turn out that the 99v works in the VP26/28? Inquiring minds want to know if this is an additional option.
I never got past the wondering stage myself, sorry. Still might happen, but no guarantees. Feel free to go first and report.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search