The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Blind Summing Shootout - Slate VCC 4K ITB vs ITB vs 32 Ch SSL Analog Summing Box
Old 29th June 2015
Lives for gear

1.vcc
2.itb
3.ssl
Old 1st October 2015
Gear Head

1.vcc
2.daw
3.ssl

results in pm please?
Old 3rd October 2015
Here for the gear

The results were posted almost 3 years ago. It's somewhere around page 7.
Although this is an old thread I was only listening to the clips for the first time this morning. Without knowing the results I could have voted one of two ways.
(1) clip 2 has the rougher edges so is the raw ITB mix.
(2) clip 3 sounds the fullest in the low-mids so has the least added harmonics, hence could be the ITB mix (I was wrong)

Either way, (1) is the smoothest and sits noticeably better as a mix. Thanks for doing this (3 years ago)

Cheers,
Eddie

Last edited by eprochon; 3rd October 2015 at 12:39 AM.. Reason: Mistake
Old 26th October 2015
Gear Maniac
1-ssl
2-vcc
3-itb
Old 3rd November 2015
Lives for gear

Thanks for the shootout!

On my Sennheiser earbuds I can't hear any difference
Old 5th November 2015
Lives for gear

Hmmmm

Last edited by DR Music; 25th December 2015 at 09:17 AM..
Old 2nd December 2015
Gear interested

What was #2 ?
Old 10th December 2015
Gear Nut

1. VCC
2. SSL
3. ITB

Liked 2 best (tight bottom) followed by 1
Now send me the answers
Old 24th December 2015
Lives for gear

Is thread still alive...

I would put the results in the first post but I can't seem to edit it

Admin if you're reading this can you put the results in the first post please?
Old 31st January 2016
Gear Nut

1 vvc
2 ssl
3 itb
Old 18th July 2016
Is like to hear this test again with the new SSL sigma and without the la-2a on. I feel like all test I see they use something else in the channel so it's not really a true test. It should be the same mix and the only differenc should be the summing mixer, ITB, and VCC
Old 18th July 2016
Gear Addict

...and the Phoenix Audio Nicerizer
Old 19th July 2016
Slate Pro Audio / Slate Digital

We did a shootout in the VCC 2.0 thread of all the console emulations versus the Nicersizer 2, do some digging and you should be able to find it. The VCC's 4kE and BritN had more votes, but the Nicersizer 2 sounds really great.

Cheers,
Steven
Old 19th July 2016
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Slate View Post
We did a shootout in the VCC 2.0 thread of all the console emulations versus the Nicersizer 2, do some digging and you should be able to find it. The VCC's 4kE and BritN had more votes, but the Nicersizer 2 sounds really great.

Cheers,
Steven
Thanks for the reminder, I'm familiar with that thread. I have VCC and a Nicerizer, so I guess I should do my own shootout. Here I was hoping to have the same audio passed through the Nicerizer so I could ccompare it to the others. I use VCC, but I need more convincing before I give up my Nicerizer. I'll go back to that thread and do some direct comparisons on my own stuff to convince myself either way. If I get a ambitious enough, I'll post my results

Last edited by jkervin; 19th July 2016 at 12:46 PM.. Reason: stupid phone!
Old 19th July 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkervin View Post
Thanks for the reminder, I'm familiar with that thread. I have VCC and a Nicerizer, so I guess I should do my own shootout. Here I was hoping to have the same audio passed through the Nicerizer so I could ccompare it to the others. I use VCC, but I need more convincing before I give up my Nicerizer. I'll go back to that thread and do some direct comparisons on my own stuff to convince myself either way. If I get a ambitious enough, I'll post my results
I'm sure Slate guys made sure their VCC came out on top.
Old 17th February 2017
Here for the gear

1. SSL
2. Vcc
3. ITB
Old 26th February 2017
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by orpheus_ View Post
Out of interest here's the tally so far

ITB VCC SSL
#1 33 22 44
#2 45 27 27
#3 20 45 34

I'm not a statistician but these look statistically significant to me ...
What is statistically significant is that, at best, ~55% of listeners incorrectly matched the sound files with their corresponding summing tool. I hadn't posted any answers, but I will say that I also chose incorrectly.

Any casual (non-engineer) listener would be hard-pressed to hear any meaningful difference between these sound files. And I - along with more than half the listeners on this thread who do have some critical listening skills - apparently can't hear any meaningful difference either.

This only serves to reinforce my long-held opinion that analog summing, for its own sake, is barking up the wrong tree. You'll only see me using analog summing on an analog mixer, which provides much more useful workflow benefits along with whatever subtle sonic character it imparts.

Self-righteous empiricist post complete.

Last edited by ccmdav; 26th February 2017 at 04:57 PM..
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 

Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search