The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Schoeps vs Sanken on drums
Old 25th December 2011
Gear Nut

Schoeps vs Sanken on drums

Hello Slutz,
I just received a Sanken CU44X and have recorded some drums with it.
Position is 1,2m over the floortom, pointed at the snaredrum. In the same 'take' I also recorded my Schoeps cmc5mk4 (that I had for a number of years and the pair that I have are my most transparent mics up till now) in the same position. Micpreamps and conversion: Orpheus. Gain on the sanken 10db, on the Schoeps 14. Matched by ear.
My drumming is crappy, but I'm sure you can hear the difference in the mics all the same. The drumroom is a small dead booth.

mono-wavs, 44.1, 24bit. Anyway, enjoy!

My observations: In this recording, the schoeps has some transient smearing, smearing in the lowmids (due to off axis response (small booth) I guess), and the ring of the cymbals sounds compressed and seems to accentuate the subharmonics of the cymbal.... + the lows of the Sanken blow me away (I know the Schoeps have a built in rolloff).
Attached Files

Drums CU44X.wav (8.40 MB, 605 views)

Drums Schoeps CMC5MK4.wav (8.40 MB, 631 views)

Old 25th January 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by da burf View Post
Hello Slutz,
I just received a Sanken CU44X and have recorded some drums with it.
Position is 1,2m over the floortom, pointed at the snaredrum. In the same 'take' I also recorded my Schoeps cmc5mk4 (that I had for a number of years and the pair that I have are my most transparent mics up till now) in the same position. Micpreamps and conversion: Orpheus. Gain on the sanken 10db, on the Schoeps 14. Matched by ear.
My drumming is crappy, but I'm sure you can hear the difference in the mics all the same. The drumroom is a small dead booth.

mono-wavs, 44.1, 24bit. Anyway, enjoy!

My observations: In this recording, the schoeps has some transient smearing, smearing in the lowmids (due to off axis response (small booth) I guess), and the ring of the cymbals sounds compressed and seems to accentuate the subharmonics of the cymbal.... + the lows of the Sanken blow me away (I know the Schoeps have a built in rolloff).
Nine years later LOL. I definitely like the 44X better in this example, if I'm looking for a more present, in your face sound with more body and low end. I don't, however, hear the smearing from the Schoeps you mention. Just sounds thinner and less present to me, with of course less low end. Is the Sanken the MKII?

I own a pair of the CMC641 and a pair of MK2 capsules as well. I prefer the flatter MK2 omnis myself, but I have a ton of trapping going on to rid low frequency problems. The MK2 capsules pick up a lot more low end, but again, you're at the mercy of your room. I've been wanting to find cardioids that compete with them and the 44X seems just the ticket.
Old 25th January 2020
Lives for gear

yeah, not all threads age well :-)

imo there's not much of a point in these kind of comparisons (without much information given on the room/mic positions etc) as it could easily be that the op would get to radically different conclusions upon changing just a single factor within the setup, but what bugs me the most is the reasoning on 'subharmonics' of cymbals:

what one might think is the fundamental of a cymbal is actually the first overtone; chances you can hear the fundamental or subharmonics are pretty low (and this knowledge goes back a few thousand years before this thread started)...- even IF one would hear them via microphones, this imo would be a result of poor mic choice/positioning and with that would further decrease the already limited value of this comparison.

[then there are a few other terms which i don't like much but that would lead even further off-topic...]

it's okay to like one sound better than the other though!
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by deedeeyeah View Post
yeah, not all threads age well :-)

imo there's not much of a point in these kind of comparisons (without much information given on the room/mic positions etc) as it could easily be that the op would get to radically different conclusions upon changing just a single factor within the setup, but what bugs me the most is the reasoning on 'subharmonics' of cymbals:

what one might think is the fundamental of a cymbal is actually the first overtone; chances you can hear the fundamental or subharmonics are pretty low (and this knowledge goes back a few thousand years before this thread started)...- even IF one would hear them via microphones, this imo would be a result of poor mic choice/positioning and with that would further decrease the already limited value of this comparison.

[then there are a few other terms which i don't like much but that would lead even further off-topic...]

it's okay to like one sound better than the other though!
Yeah well, let's say that it's difficult to put what one hears into words, especially you're young and unexperienced And ditto to your observation about comparisons.

FYI, I still have my pairs of Sanken CU44s (48v version) and Schoeps MK4/CMC5.
And I'm still very happy with both pairs, but the CU44s have a special place in my heart. Let's keep it at that

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search