The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Shootout: 828mkII w/ BLA Mods & MicroClock mk2 vs 828mkII Stock
Old 27th October 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

i've been listening with Audio Technica ATH-M50 headphones.

for me, the difference is always clear when the acoustic guitar starts strumming (0:26). in the BLA one, the acoustic guitar has a more ringy-ish high-mid...and the acoustic sounds a little more mellow in that range in the stock one. i can hear this regardless of leveling. perhaps with different monitoring, more differences would emerge...or perhaps the opposite.

like i've said, i can't say which one sounds better, but there is a difference...and any analysis procedure that says otherwise is flawed, in my opinion.

but in post #16, you posted some numbers that indicates a difference of some sort, so perhaps whatever you did in that test yields solid results.

anyway you cut it, i think we're the only two people on the planet that care...8 posts since anyone else has piped in!
Old 14th August 2012 | Show parent
GMR
Lives for gear

hehe well I care and am fascinated. So in your opinion , was the upgrade worth it? Does the clock make a difference in your opinion?
Old 22nd September 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghetto3jon View Post
this is a shootout between a stock MOTU 828mkII and one with the Black Lion Audio analog modifications and the MicroClock mk2.

i recorded each track of this test song individually, and the signal was split after the preamp...with one channel going to the stock 828mkII hooked up to one computer, and the duplicate channel going to the modded 828mkII which was hooked up to a different computer. both computers were running DP7, and both recorded at 44.1/24. not that it matters, but here's the skinny:

snare/cymbal -> C414 -> SCA N72 -> splitter -> both converters
kick -> PR40 -> SCA N72 -> splitter -> both converters
bass -> avenson isodi -> SCA N72 -> splitter -> both converters
acoustic -> C414 -> SCA N72 -> splitter -> both converters
el guitar 1 -> PR40 -> SCA N72 -> splitter -> both converters
el guitar 2 -> PR40 -> SCA N72 -> splitter -> both converters
shaker -> PR40 -> SCA N72 -> splitter -> both converters

so here are the files. want to guess which is which?

aa
bb

EDIT 1: here is a 10x loop of each file through their respective converters:

aa ten loop
bb ten loop

EDIT 2: here are some pictures from both units:

stock one
stock two
stock three
stock four
mod one
mod two
mod three
mod four

EDIT 3: and in the interest of being comprehensive, here is a set of test loopbacks provided by gearslutz member nms. unlike the other files above, these have not been level matched (i thought nms might want them as raw as possible):

original
aa one pass
aa four pass
aa ten pass
bb one pass
bb four pass
bb ten pass

EDIT 4: click here for the results
Any chance you could repost the audio clips? They seem to be all gone!! I'd really love to hear this shootout!
Old 22nd September 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

OP's file links still work ok for me...
Old 8th November 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

i was checking these files out and i noticed that there really isn't too much of a difference with the noise floor level of these two units (snr/dr)...that's kind of a bummer.
my main complaint so far with my 828mk2 is the noise floor...what is this like a 16 bit converter ? i was hoping the bla mod would lower it, but it seems that it does not really (going by these files...i have not had the mod done to my unit...yet?). it would be nice if there were a way to do so.
anyone else do mods to these units ? i thought there was a thread here somewhere about bla alternatives but i can't seem to find it...
Old 22nd November 2014
Here for the gear
I have a BLA modified motu 2408 mkII and a multiple stocks. There are only very subtle differences. I own multiple pieces of BLA modified gear including a 24i. I have to say that the motu 2408 mod is the least impressive of all BLA modified gear that I have used and pales in comparison to the 24i specifically. I spoke with a tech at BLA about this specifically and he said that there are multiple reasons why one modded interface version may be different then others. He said that it essentially comes down to what is in the box to work with. And in this case, the motu 2408 mkII mod does not yield the results that most BLA modifications do. Sad but true. And again, in my experience, this is a rare anomaly in that most BLA mods make me weep with joy.
📝 Reply