The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Miktek CV4, Bock 195, Beesneez Phelicity, ADK TT251, Telefunken AK47MkII...
Old 31st October 2011 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Heya Aaron,

I have to say that I'm a bit surprised at the original outcome.. I thought I had posted here but did on your facebook page for some reason.. sorry about that..

Here was my response:OK, Solo voice.. I like E then A for the quieter beginning, B and C when you open up a bit.. With music I liked B then C overall.. They would both EQ very easily. All good mics, but for that particular session I would probably have chosen B or C.. It would be nice to hear them where they were recorded..

I was a bit blown away because the Phelicity hadn't faired well at all.. even to my ears.

I got my Shelise a few days ago and when I plugged it in to test it I wasn't won over by it either.. but this morning I set it up running through a JLM Dual 99v preamp and had a friend playing guitar and singing, (were doing some null-area placement tests), and was gobsmacked at how good it was..

A few folks are going back and forth but at the end of the day, you have to use what sounds best for your situation, (room, pre's, etc..) (sufficient grace ;-) ). Good luck on the next test..
Old 1st November 2011 | Show parent
Here for the gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
In a blind test I picked E then C as my favorites. Then A, B, then D last.

The funny thing about this is that the Bock Audio 195 and the Miktek CV4 are the next mics I plan to purchase. They really do sound amazing.
Old 4th November 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Mike P is not completely wrong, however he's assuming he's the only guy who has heard or used all of these mics before and he's not. And I am assuming most of us knew right away that you were on top of these things like a dynamic for aesthetic reasons. I recognized most of the mics but the proximity did make it difficult. (which I found interesting)

In spite of all the flaws I still find shootouts like this interesting simply from a creative standpoint of how guys stumble into different sounds etc. I think the "intimate proximity vocal" is a very in-sound at the moment and your voice suits it well. There are a lot of guys writing in this style lately and I've heard some great stuff like this using everything from an SM7 & a Black Lion to a Neumann U47 & a John Hardy. They all sort of create a different canvas. Just as the untreated "bedroom" vocal does. It might drive Mike P crazy but if you're a singer it doesn't really matter, people are just looking for sounds from you like colors. I'm always amazed how little production quality seems to impact the success of a popular song. Sometimes listeners really respond to low fi, be it samples, vocals whatever. Today you can go from The Black Keys to Jake Shimabukuro, people are just looking for an aural buzz.

I personally don't like any of these mics but with your vocal style I though a couple suited your voice really well. And that's what it's all about. They're gonna come hear you on a 58 anyhow Nice song, nice voice.
Old 6th November 2011
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Thanks again everyone for all your input. After much deliberation I went with the Miktek! I'm very happy, it compliments my u195 very well.
Old 15th November 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I think you made a good choice. Based on those mp3's the Miktek sounded best followed by the Telefunken (which was a bit bright). The rest sounded terrible and the proximity effect was pretty awful. That is important despite the relative non-scientific nature as this is an important sound style for my usage and I am in the market for a $1500-2500 vocal mic,
Old 22nd November 2011 | Show parent
Gear Head

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
There Will Be Blood has tentatively been renamed to "Mike P vs. Dave Fridmann"

Emerald Nuts is the official sponsor
Old 4th December 2011 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronsternke View Post
Hey all!
I have some files for you all. So again, the microphones in this test are (in completely unbiased, alphabetical order):

- ADK TT251
- Beesneez Phelicity
- Miktek CV4
- Soundelux u195
- Telefunken AK47 MKII

I'm not naming the mics for now – they'll just be "Mic A", "Mic B", etc. I've uploaded both a track version and a solo version of each vocal take. Take a listen, and pick your favorite! (for my voice, anyway...)

Mic A: wav / mp3
Mic A (solo): wav / mp3

Mic B: wav / mp3
Mic B (solo): wav / mp3

Mic C: wav / mp3
Mic C (solo): wav / mp3

Mic D: wav / mp3
Mic D (solo): wav / mp3

Mic E: wav / mp3
Mic E (solo): wav / mp3
Thanks for posting these! I am not an owner of any of these mics but am in the market for a tube mic to add to my collection.

Listening to the soloed tracks on my headphones (Sony MDR V6 -- decent phones) I'd rank them in this order:

B -- sounded the most full, up front, warm, and harmonically rich and pleasant.
C -- slightly more upfront then B, but a tad less full and also had high end not quite as pleasant.
A -- was nice but sounded a little hyped and sizzly.
E -- sounded the thinnest and least classy.
D -- my least favorite - -sounded like it had all of the negatives of a ribbon mic with none of the benefits. Dark but also with unpleasant highs.

I'll listen to both the soloed and complete tracks later through my monitors (JBL LSR 6328Ps) and see if my opinions change.
Old 17th December 2011 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
I was right

My pick was mic C. All the other mics had a hifi sound mic A no warmth and had that digital hi end thingy. Me coming from the analog days my ears are tuned with precision.
Old 2nd March 2012
MJB
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
First, thanks for making the effort and taking the time to post these files. Despite the drawbacks of where and how they were recorded, I found them to be enlightening and a big help to me personally. I'm a newbie here, and haven't done any recording in my home since the late 80's. I vowed never to use my apartment as a studio again after being out with a hot date and catching myself talking to her at length about reverb parameters. I've been teaching guitar to kids since then, but my fiance's a former pro vocalist and is inspiring me to give it another chance.

So, now I'm scouring sites online for info and feedback regarding microphones. I need one good mic to begin with, and will hopefully collect a few more as time passes. I've auditioned a dozen mics, narrowing it down to the sE 2200A II, or the AKG Perception 820. One was clean and clear with an edge, one was so warm I sang better, despite its being slightly "canny" sounding. In my old studio I mainly used a couple of Neumann U87's for vocals. I then happened to try the Telefunken C27, which seemed to split the difference between the sE and the AKG, warm, but incredibly neutral, with some edge, but not crunchy. It was over my budget though.

Now, your tracks have spoiled me. The Telefunken on track A is flat out magical to my ears. My 2nd choice was the Bock 195. The difference was clearest when the chorus swells, the Bock begins to get lost in the sauce, but the AK47 keeps its grip and focus, like a seriously well produced vocal should.

All I need now is 2 G's to go get one, ugh...

I need to keep some money in my budget for monitors, I like the little Focals. I may use some crappy monitors for a while and shift the cash over to a mic, but that still would only get me near the Bock or the Telefunken C27, sigh...

*update: I bought the Bock 195 because I got a great deal on it. I'm still yearning for the Telefunken though...
Old 28th March 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
wow

I know I'm a little late on this post, but I always check Gear Slutz before I make purchases. I was looking for feedback on the tele AK47 MKII. As I want to replace an M147 that I really don't like.

While the audio examples weren't perfect they gave me a good indication of range, which is what I'm looking for. I currently own a Manley Tube Condenser, an M149, and a Soundelux u195. So I wanted some thing with a little different character (they are all unique).

All I can say is Mike, the guy tested some mics. It helped me. This is my full time job, its how I get paid and the test was quit clear. Lighten up man, you kind of embarrassed your self a little. If any thing it was a great way to show how decent mics can function with out a lot of pricey vintage gear.
Old 3rd April 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Alright everyone! Thanks for chiming in. Here's what the mics were:

Mic A: Telefunken AK47
Mic B: ADK TT251
Mic C: Miktek CV4
Mic D: Beesneez Phelicity
Mic E: Soundelux u195

Thanks for all your thoughts! My favorite was actually the Miktek, believe it or not!! Seemed the nicest mix of lows and highs, with a nice smooth midrange. Lots of people picked the Tele or the Soundelux, which was very interesting as well. I've always loved my Soundelux. The Tele was really nice, very detailed and pretty, much maybe a TAD too bright for my taste. And it didn't quite have the low end of the Miktek for me either.

I think I am also going to bite the bullet and upgrade my converters to something like a Mytek ADC. I have a friend who has an older Apogee AD8000 that I can borrow for now, as well as a Vintech X73.

I am not 100% sold on the Miktek, but it's the one I'm leaning toward. I may audition a few more mics in the next few days. Possibly the Tele CU-29, Tele AR-51, and maybe 1 or 2 more.

Again thanks for your input! Really helped me.

Aaron
Send it back, it has an issue. That is not normal. Thanks. Ben
Old 22nd March 2014
Gear Maniac

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
I know this is an older thread, just doing some casual back tracking. But man Mike P. you really went overboard on this one. Look I'm all for perfect shootouts under ideal conditions, but that wasn't entirely possible for this guy at the time. So he was a little close. So there was a little room sound. So he was using a 002. Big freaking deal. It sounds to me like you were fine until you saw the results. Seems like maybe your favorite didn't fare so well and you got a little butt hurt. I wonder how you would've reacted if it was the Miktek that didn't do so well. Lets not get into this whole fairness to the manufactures crap, if they believe in their mics, they'll produce their own shootouts. Unless you work for Blackbird, or some exotic gear rental company, its tough to audition mics. Its tough to shop for them. These are important purchases and there are very few good resources available. Just a lot of opinions. Why get so pissed off at a guy doing a little shootout? We need more shootouts, not less. And finally just a word to Aaron, man you took that **** like a champ. I probably would've lost my cool with that guy but you were very professional. Kudos.
Old 18th May 2014 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by McWreckinBall View Post
I know this is an older thread, just doing some casual back tracking. But man Mike P. you really went overboard on this one. Look I'm all for perfect shootouts under ideal conditions, but that wasn't entirely possible for this guy at the time. So he was a little close. So there was a little room sound. So he was using a 002. Big freaking deal. It sounds to me like you were fine until you saw the results. Seems like maybe your favorite didn't fare so well and you got a little butt hurt. I wonder how you would've reacted if it was the Miktek that didn't do so well. Lets not get into this whole fairness to the manufactures crap, if they believe in their mics, they'll produce their own shootouts. Unless you work for Blackbird, or some exotic gear rental company, its tough to audition mics. Its tough to shop for them. These are important purchases and there are very few good resources available. Just a lot of opinions. Why get so pissed off at a guy doing a little shootout? We need more shootouts, not less. And finally just a word to Aaron, man you took that **** like a champ. I probably would've lost my cool with that guy but you were very professional. Kudos.
I just got done reading this thread. I kind of like Mike. Naysayers make for a fun read
Old 4th August 2014
MJB
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Since you guys have resurrected this thread, I figured I'd put in an update. I sold the Bock, ( pickup pattern was too wide), although it was amazing on acoustic guitars. I bought a Blackspade U17, which is an AK47mk II, with a different badge, but handmade by Oliver Archut, the 47 mk II's designer. I later on upgraded the capsule to a Thiersch M7 Blueline, so now my mic is in a different league. The plain U17 was damn good, but a little thin, with the Thiersch, it's similar to a Neumann U49 now, and I'm quite happy. Now.. all I gotta do is get a Heritage Audio 73' preamp to complete my basic bare bones wish list.

* Oliver Archut passed away recently. He was a great guy and an important member of our larger pro audio community, and he'll be missed.
Old 20th October 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Hey all,
Started a shootout this morning... Here's the contenders:

- Soundelux u195
- Beesneez Phelicity
- Miktek CV4
- Telefuken AK47MkII
- ADK TT251

1st observation: The differences are NOT subtle.

Unfortunately, the Miktek CV4 has a horrible buzz, so I'm currently unable to test it. Sounds like a wire disconnected or something weird with the ground... but it is really prominent. The other mics were whisper quiet. Maybe I got a faulty one? I did get it from audiomidi.com, and they have a "try-before-you-buy" thing... the mic seemed like it might not be BRAND NEW when I opened it up. Anyway, BUZZ KILL!

I'll post samples soon on this thread. In the meantime if anyone knows any tricks to get the CV4 to stop buzzing, LET ME KNOW!

Aaron Sternke
Hey Aaron!

This is crazy and really happy I stumbled to your thread here. I also bought a CV4 Miktek almost near a year here in Montreal Store and I've noticed the same Buzzing/Ground sound that just after you start using the CV4 just happens out of nowhere. I just sent an email to @Mike at Miktek because at the beginning I thought that something was happening in my studio with the electric grounding connections and then I did bother. But then I've worked with others of my mics and never had this issue. Then I told myself that I need to one day reach out to Miktek because something ain't right.

And thank God today I stumbled to this thread. It assures me that it ain't my studio that has a problem, that it's the Miktek Pwr supply. I really hope that Miktek will be kind to contact me and help me with a new Pwr supply because since I bought this mic, I haven't used it at all because of this issue. Sucks but true.

Looking forward to hear from them :-)

Cheers
Old 31st March 2015 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
me too same buzz on my second cv4 my first sound pretty good i put my second mic in my first power supply no buzz sound good so i return this power supply at the montreal store ...just share ...tx
Old 27th October 2020 | Show parent
Here for the gear
Done the same thing recently Um17 with M7 Blueline running it through a phoenix DRS-Q4 Mk2 amazing sound (like butter) could not be happier
πŸ“ Reply