The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Do I have a Fake Neumann U87 Ai ????? Condenser Microphones
Old 11th June 2012
Gear Head

I don't think the mic is a fake but the singer absolutely is .... what a shocker of a voice . Dude no mic is going to fix that voice
Old 11th June 2012
It doesn't sound right to me, but it may be the timbre of the singer's voice. You may want to get the mic serviced if that will ease your mind.
Old 16th June 2012
Gear Nut

Sounds to me like the mic was placed too close and slightly above the singers mouth,accentuating the head/nasal sound of her voice.These mics are very sensitive to positioning.I usually place my vintage U87i at leats 8" away,at throat level tilted up to pick up the sound off of the soft palate.
Old 29th January 2013
Gear Maniac

I know it's an old thread... but I was looking for U87 samples.
To me it sound not good, but I think it's not the mic it's the room!
The room sound dull and lifeless, for me it sounds like a vocal booth but in a bad way.

TonyR
Old 26th June 2016
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by PRobb View Post
What does she sound like on other mics?
How close was she?
Is the room treated in any way?
Also the clip does seem to be a bit over-modulated.

No mic is a magic trick. No mic works for every singer.
And again- I don't believe anybody could listen to a solo vocal clip and without knowing anything about it say "That's a model XYZ-123" mic.
OMG, I can tell all the time, at least within a ball park. Sure 57/58, Sony LDC, Electrovoice Dynamics, Coles ribbons I frequently identifies on recordings. I can typically tell small vs Large diaphragm or ribbon on overheads. There are about 30 other things with mic setups and types of mics I can hear in recordings. Now to say I could actually Identify the mic....Not very reliably. There are so many variations in each family. Here is how I think of it 20,37,44,49,54,57,67,81,87,88,121,800

20=RE-20. Electro voice dynamics in general.
37=Sony C37, (groove tube MD3 is my closest)
44=RCA 44. (coles 4038 is my version)
47=47/U47FET, Fast and thick. LDC kick and vocals (I have U95S for this)
49=M49 LDC Tube low freq speech boost. The masterpiece from the inventor!
54=U54, SDC
57=SM57 and other regular hand held dynamics (I use UnidyneIII)
67=U67, LDC tube high freq speech boost (AA CM67se)
81=SM81, Electret Mic's, still deciding on mic for this
87=U87, LDC solid state high freq speech boost (few differnt ones)
88= Quality Dynamic mic's that take transients well at low freq. not scooped like the 20's
121=Royer 121. Cylindrical Ribbons, guitar/drum ribbon. (I went for RM-5)
800=Sony800G, or any very high end sony LDC. (Just ordered a Sony C-450)

Starting from that structure. I would like to hear other peoples Ideas on how to fill that together. Can you associate other numbers to organize the sound qualities for better mic selection? That's my goal with that list. Some semblance of what mic is right by what you hear. Once you hear something in the source that fits a mic. Then you know what to pick quickly out of what you have. At least this is how I do it. Say somebody didn't sound right singing on an 87. Then try 57 or 67 flavor. If that does not work, Try 44,20 and 54. If that does not work, then 88, 57, 37 to the rescue. 37 if available can help lots of stuff. 47 Kicks in fast, and 67 is the pocket for vocals. 87 great for sound effects.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search