The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Stellar CM-6 Vs Mojave MA-200 Condenser Microphones
View Poll Results: What Mic Do You Favor?
36 Votes - 36.73%
62 Votes - 63.27%
Voters: 98. You may not vote on this poll

Old 15th September 2011
Gear Addict

^^^^

thanks alot!

It definitely gave the mic a lil extra "look" to it, to help it look the way it sounds
Old 15th September 2011
Gear Nut

Sweet. thanks. I didnt mean to sound like a jerk or anything, but one particular person just seems to like causing senseless arguments which seem to wash away what the thread was supposed to be about.
Old 16th September 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajschuk View Post
Sweet. thanks. I didnt mean to sound like a jerk or anything, but one particular person just seems to like causing senseless arguments which seem to wash away what the thread was supposed to be about.
dont worry man, you're not sounding like a jerk on here

we're all highly passionate about our obsession with music recording and that tends to make us push our points hard at times b/c of our own ideals of what sounds the best.
Old 16th September 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajschuk View Post
but one particular person just seems to like causing senseless arguments which seem to wash away what the thread was supposed to be about.
Not seeming like a jerk at all man. I'm glad the baiting stopped. I'd love to hear more about what the guys who weighed in and voted liked about each mic. Regardless of brand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by always_ending View Post
dont worry man, you're not sounding like a jerk on here

Quote:
we're all highly passionate about our obsession with music recording and that tends to make us push our points hard at times b/c of our own ideals of what sounds the best.
Old 16th September 2011
Lives for gear

I own a CM-6 but I'm a fairly new owner so I'm not intimately familiar with it yet... I had never heard the Mojave before but heard that they are amazing mics.

I voted #2 because it sounded richer, fuller, and less buzzy at the top end. I guess I'm looking for a tube mic to bring character to the table and #2 just seemed to have more.
Old 18th September 2011
Gear Addict

The Mojave sounds way better to me, the CM-6 sound more grainy and less focussed.
Old 25th September 2011
Lives for gear

I honestly didn't like the vocals on either - they sounded boxy.
And yes, the level difference was VERY obvious.

I liked #2 on the strummed guitar.
Liked #1 maybe by a hair on the picked guitar.

I didn't find any zingyness in these clips but have thought the CM6 sounds a tad eshy, at least when soloed, on the clips I've heard. FWIW, I find the Mojave much too eshy and don't like it at all on my voice.

I agree with drBill in that zingy/excited/eshy are have nothing to do with present/mid forward, or airy.
With that said, the CM6 seems to work for a lot of people, it's just not a mic that gives me cravings (I already have other I like much better, even the MK319, one of my lowest-end mics).

I would love to hear Stellar's 12-type mic when it comes out.
Old 25th September 2011
Gear Head

Thanks for the shootout!

Both these mics sounded nice to me, just different. In fact, to me these are two mics that could work well together. In the mix you could bring the fader of one or the other up depending on whether you wanted more high end or not.

To me, you should be able to make awesome recordings with either one, although with modern (boosted hi end) type music, I bet you'd be better off with the stellar.

Is it recommended that the stellar be warmed up for 30 min before tracking?

To Dr.Bill, I ask: Do you think you could make great sounding music/recordings if you HAD to use the stellar on LDC duties? (It's a yes or no question, I don't need to know that you could make great sounding music with a $5 mic if you had to)
Old 26th September 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickSample View Post
To Dr.Bill, I ask: Do you think you could make great sounding music/recordings if you HAD to use the stellar on LDC duties? (It's a yes or no question, I don't need to know that you could make great sounding music with a $5 mic if you had to)
It might be a yes or no question, but I don't have a yes or no answer for you, sorry.....
Old 26th September 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Thanks for the shootout!

Both these mics sounded nice to me, just different. In fact, to me these are two mics that could work well together. In the mix you could bring the fader of one or the other up depending on whether you wanted more high end or not.

To me, you should be able to make awesome recordings with either one, although with modern (boosted hi end) type music, I bet you'd be better off with the stellar.

Is it recommended that the stellar be warmed up for 30 min before tracking?

It's my 1st LDC, but from what I understand, it's always desirable to "warm them up" prior to use every time, and I read somewhere people suggesting 30 mins.

Maybe a resident pro would help on that one?
Old 26th September 2011
Gear Guru

If it's a tube LCD like the CM6, yes, definitely warm it up. 30 min is usually OK. An hour is more than enough. Enjoy it!

PS - A FET LDC only needs to stabilize a few seconds.
Old 26th September 2011
I didn't like either of the mics... for any of the jobs.

I did some rough level matching and my opinion is such.

CM-6 was flatter than the Mojave, but really dull and hyped at the same time. Just a bad match. The Mojave sounded better at first, but after going back to the take the Mojave sound really sharp and zingy in the 5-8 kHz region.

Booth weren't my cup of tea, probably would have gone with a Neumann TLM-103 or U87 instead

p.s. Perhaps would have tried a TLM-127 if I had one heh
Old 26th September 2011
Lives for gear

...with no disrespect to others who have offered up opinions here, IMHO, the majority of negative comments about both mics are due more to the technique and methodology (or the lack thereof) in this impromptu "shootout", than the actual characteristics of either mic...as someone who actually owns and works with both mics, I find both to be quite a bit better than represented in this particular outing...any tool or piece of gear is only as good as the skill of the craftsman who employs it...not a knock on the OP, but just a overview based on my hands-on experience with these particular mics, both "keepers" in my mic closet...as always, YMMV...
Old 27th September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidvybes View Post
...with no disrespect to others who have offered up opinions here, IMHO, the majority of negative comments about both mics are due more to the technique and methodology (or the lack thereof) in this impromptu "shootout", than the actual characteristics of either mic...as someone who actually owns and works with both mics, I find both to be quite a bit better than represented in this particular outing...any tool or piece of gear is only as good as the skill of the craftsman who employs it...not a knock on the OP, but just a overview based on my hands-on experience with these particular mics, both "keepers" in my mic closet...as always, YMMV...
Well, i thought so too, but I said is what I meant. It's hard to get a good recording. Also, I didn't like either mic and both mics were on the same level with each other, but price of a mic doesn't impress me.

I've picked up a $100 dollar mic over a $1000 mic before when in a session, but these recordings sound how they sound and they don't please me.

Not saying I wouldn't like the mic if I had it, but it's just a mic!
Old 27th September 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mista min View Post
I didn't like either of the mics... for any of the jobs.

I did some rough level matching and my opinion is such.

CM-6 was flatter than the Mojave, but really dull and hyped at the same time. Just a bad match. The Mojave sounded better at first, but after going back to the take the Mojave sound really sharp and zingy in the 5-8 kHz region.

Booth weren't my cup of tea, probably would have gone with a Neumann TLM-103 or U87 instead

p.s. Perhaps would have tried a TLM-127 if I had one heh

Man, I have a stereo pair of TLM-103s if you're interested. I've found them FAR harsher for vox than either of these mics in this shootout, and have used all 3 extensively!
Old 27th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Booth weren't my cup of tea, probably would have gone with a Neumann TLM-103
...really?
Old 27th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Man, I have a stereo pair of TLM-103s if you're interested. I've found them FAR harsher for vox than either of these mics in this shootout, and have used all 3 extensively!
...glad you said it...we sold two on craigslist earlier this year...
Old 27th September 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by drBill View Post
If it's a tube LCD like the CM6, yes, definitely warm it up. 30 min is usually OK. An hour is more than enough. Enjoy it!

PS - A FET LDC only needs to stabilize a few seconds.
Thanks. That can be kind of annoying right, having to warm it up for 30 min.
Old 28th September 2011
I like a TLM-103 on guitar. It sounds great on the right source, I mainly do male hip hop vocals with that mic and I love it for that job!

I love the TLM-103. I have used it several times. Also, the track I mixed that you gave me props for was recorded using a TLM-103 and many hit record makers (i.e. DJ Premier) use it on their records.

You like what you like and don't like what you don't like, cool.

Also, I like the MXL V69ME, a mic that go 5th place in a hundred mic shoot out here on Gearslutz a few years back, that mic you've knocked several times, but atheistic changes. Lots of people aren't digging it now, but some still do.

I like something you said you didn't prefer Dennis and that's ok.

But honestly this argument has gotten annoying... I like what I like, you like what you like, lets leave it at that.

p.s. I have heard better recordings for guitar with the CM-6 posted by my homie, mhs2xs.

p.s.s. If someone read my previous post ignore it. I overreacted.

Last edited by mista min; 28th September 2011 at 02:06 AM.. Reason: just trying to be a bit more polite
Old 28th September 2011
Quote:
I'd love to grabe, but I am in a finical situation. PM with the details, maybe we can work something out.
Old 28th September 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
Thanks. That can be kind of annoying right, having to warm it up for 30 min.
Eh....kind of. With the warm up, extra cables, etc., I tend to work very fast in an effort not to loose the muse, and I'll often go with a FET mic. I also like the fact that (a good one) is muscular and lean and fits well in a mix. Tube mics are a fad right now. Not that they are not good, but that people are looking for ANYTHING TOOB, cause they are reacting negatively (perhaps rightly so) to the sterility of digital. BUT, there are many ways to skin the proverbial cat, and toob mics are not the only one. Toobs are not the only answer.

Quote:
Also, I like the MXL V69ME, a mic that go 5th place in a hundred mic shoot out here on Gearslutz a few years back, that mic you've knocked several times, but atheistic changes. Lots of people aren't digging it now, but some still do.
I think it's an OK mic. I got a lot of good stuff recorded with a pair for many years. Drum OH, guitars, trumpet, and even some vocals. heh They are not my favorite mic, but I can make them work. Honestly, I never understood the way many people described them as an "ice pick". Mine never seemed that way. Maybe there was a change in design at some point.....
Old 28th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by drBill View Post
Eh....kind of. With the warm up, extra cables, etc., I tend to work very fast in an effort not to loose the muse, and I'll often go with a FET mic. I also like the fact that (a good one) is muscular and lean and fits well in a mix. Tube mics are a fad right now. Not that they are not good, but that people are looking for ANYTHING TOOB, cause they are reacting negatively (perhaps rightly so) to the sterility of digital. BUT, there are many ways to skin the proverbial cat, and toob mics are not the only one. Toobs are not the only answer.
Yes, and in my own (limited) experience, I've never found a tube mic that works on my voice (or the varous stringed insruments I play). All of my (smallish) collection of ribbons, condensers and dynamics do a better job than the couple of tubes I've owned.

I'm sure that there must be a golden tube mic out there for me, but none of the tubes I've tried thus far have sounded natural or warm - or even just good - to me. Ironically, I tend to find they sound pinched, narrow and adenoidal on my voice.

I've never used any mega-expensive tube mics though... and I've also never used any "C12" or "251" sounding tubes. Suspect they'd do me more favours.... if fact, to bring this post back on topic, I suspect that kind of mic might even be a better choice for the voice heard in this thread.
Old 14th October 2011
Gear Head

Very Interesting. The MA has been on my list of mics to get when I have more available funds. I actually found that , although it seemed to have less high frequency content, I like the MA for the strumming guitar due to how smooth and even it recorded. I did however prefer the little extra attack and forward sound of the Stellar for the other tracks. It all depends on what the song needs and how the source is supposed to be fitting into the song. Very different mics that I imagine would compliment each other well.

Thanks for posting
Old 12th November 2011
Here for the gear

No doubt that #1 sounds much better to me in the vocal clip. Much smoother and when it comes down to mixing in a song that will make the difference in getting a much better end result. #2 is louder and seems a bit more clear but when the music is in the mix the smoothness will out weigh the false clarity in a big way.
Old 13th November 2011
Gear Nut

vocals

I listened to the vocal tracks without knowing the results and chose #1 as my favorite -- smoother, richer, and fuller, just more pleasing to my ears. Of course not a dramatic difference, but I immediately knew it was the Mojave since it reminded me of the MA-201 I use to own (but sold because it accented s's too much). but now I think I might have to get an MA-200.
Old 13th November 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikfriz View Post
No doubt that #1 sounds much better to me in the vocal clip. Much smoother and when it comes down to mixing in a song that will make the difference in getting a much better end result. #2 is louder and seems a bit more clear but when the music is in the mix the smoothness will out weigh the false clarity in a big way.
I don't deny that you hear what you hear, but that's an interesting choice of words: "false clarity".
In audio, what you hear is all there is. It's either clarity or it isn't.
Old 13th November 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikfriz View Post
but when the music is in the mix the smoothness will out weigh the false clarity in a big way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by binarymilton View Post
I don't deny that you hear what you hear, but that's an interesting choice of words: "false clarity".
In audio, what you hear is all there is. It's either clarity or it isn't.
...yeah, "false clarity" sounds like an oxymoron ("jumbo shrimp"?)...but beyond that, the entire statement is questionable at best...the CM-6 has wonderful clarity and detail...that's one of it's qualities...whether or not that clarity/detail is what you're looking for when tracking a particular voice/source is certainly a preferential call...but few mics at that price point, especially tube mics, offer such detail and clarity...in a dense mix, a clear detailed vocal track can often be an asset...
Old 15th November 2011
Gear Nut

second round

After listening for a second time, I can't deny that the CM-6 is an incredible value. I think it does offer a pleasant clarity (not false) when compared to the MA-200, perhaps the sibilance isn't quite as flattering through the CM-6, but I can't honestly say that the MA-200 is even marginally better then the CM-6. They are different in their tonal character, but the differences aren't in degree of quality (as in better or worse) just in their sonic character. That is, I think they sound equally 'good' but slightly different. The CM-6 might be my next mic purchase. If it is I'll post some comparisons between my current stock of mics.
Old 18th November 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Succulence View Post
After listening for a second time, I can't deny that the CM-6 is an incredible value.
...you're not alone in that assumption...here is another recent shootout, just posted on Recordinghacks.com, comparing the CM-6 (and discontinued CM-4) to a Neumann TLM-103 that may be an even more accurate barometer of the CM-6's performance:

Stellar CM4 CM6 Review | recording hacks

(pic courtesy of Recordinghacks.com)
Attached Thumbnails
Stellar CM-6 Vs Mojave MA-200-stellar-tlm103.jpg  
Old 25th January 2012
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halloween View Post
Recorded Through

Vintech 473 Pre's - Level balanced the output
Lynx Aurora Converters

Mojave MA-200 - $1,095.00USD
Stellar CM-6 - $374.00USD

So take your Pick.
Thanks for posting the clips. Very helpful. Consistent results on the various clips to my ear.

I like the sound of the Mojave. Very smooth across the entire tonal range with good body and presence in the midrange (a good measure of tube mics).

The Stellar CM-6 I didn't care for. Weak midrange sound and not silky at all on the highs. Similar sound to a lot of inexpensive import Mics I've heard. Just not the smooth transition of tone across the range that you look for in a good tube mic. I hope the CM-5 has made some improvements.

I was hoping the Stellar sounded better after all the hype, but can't say I'm suprised. For a 'budget' tube Mic I'll now be looking at an Audio Technica 4060 or this Mojave .... and give up 'chasing the dragon'.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search